• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Where should I start?

al15e

Time of past OR future Camino
Norte (2018)
Primitivo (2018)
Portugues (2018)
Rota Vicentina (2018)
Hey guys,

I had decided to start from Bayonne, but somehow I’m not sure anymore if it is the right thing to do. What would be your suggestions? I don’t have to rush anywhere, so I am all up for walking more. But lately I have been doubting my decision and feel like maybe I should just start from Irun.

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi , when you begin in Bayonne it's about 35-40km more than when you begin in Irun.
But the decission is yours .

Wish you a wonderful time and a Buen Camino , Peter .

Hey guys,

I’m flying out to Bordeaux on 26th of August and had decided to start from Bayonne, but somehow I’m not sure anymore if it is the right thing to do. What would be your suggestions? I don’t have to rush anywhere, so I am all up for walking more. But lately I have been doubting my decision and feel like maybe I should just start from Irun.
Welcome @al15e
Have you been to France before?
Are you spending a bit of time first in Bordeaux ?
If you’ve already booked to Bordeaux , I’d leave your plans ‘as is’ until you reach Bayonne. It’s worth a visit also. Lovely spot. Then decide, whether to start walking from there or get a bus (available in Bayonne ) from there to another start point in Spain.
You should encounter more pilgrims on trail starting from irun or San Sebastián on the Norte though, than Bayonne.,if you want to start with others.
Buen Camino
Annie

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Km 0 is on the bridge between France and Spain, Irun side. Just for information.

Take a coach or train from Bayonne railway station to Hendaye which is just over the French side of the bridge from Irun. The bridge is just a 5-10 minute walk from Hendaye Staion and is the official start of the Del Norte.

I am not sure of the route out of Bayonne but once you get to the coast at Bidart there is a lovely coastal path via St Jean de Luz all the way to Hendaye. At the end of the beach in Hendaye there is a ferry to Hondarrabia. This is a much nicer way of reaching Hondarrabia than the official one which crosses the road bridge before going through the industrial suburbs of Irun and past the airport.
http://www.bidarttourisme.com/le-sentier-du-littoral

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I am not sure of the route out of Bayonne but once you get to the coast at Bidart there is a lovely coastal path via St Jean de Luz all the way to Hendaye. At the end of the beach in Hendaye there is a ferry to Hondarrabia. This is a much nicer way of reaching Hondarrabia than the official one which crosses the road bridge before going through the industrial suburbs of Irun and past the airport.
http://www.bidarttourisme.com/le-sentier-du-littoral

THIS! Thank you so much, seems just like what I had in mind!

Hey guys,

I had decided to start from Bayonne, but somehow I’m not sure anymore if it is the right thing to do. What would be your suggestions? I don’t have to rush anywhere, so I am all up for walking more. But lately I have been doubting my decision and feel like maybe I should just start from Irun.

at the beginning . . .

Hey guys,

I've just done the Northern Camino from Irún. I matched with a parisiene guy who flignt to Baione to begining there and reach Irún through S J. de Luz. Something else: I recommend your stop at the new Irún's albergue. Ultreia!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! I walked the Le Puy to Roncesvalles route last spring, and now I am thinking of Arles to Compostela on the Norte in the fall. I have many questions. I have downloaded the WP Norte App. I...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.