• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Where there is a dream..is a way...

angeliki louk

Time of past OR future Camino
July 2014 camino Frances.
June 2015 Camino north
Camino primitivo
hallo everyone!!!
Ok so I have talked and before for that but now I am thinking it in a different way...less risky for us....me and my husband met two years ago on the way...we now have our little Santiago with us...we are very connected to the way and want to do something connected to that....
We are thinking to rent our house in Greece and try and find the place that we like and an albergue is needed and move to Spain....I know that it's not easy and we won't do it from one day to another but my question is where do you think it would be the best spot? Where there is more need? We are thinking of starting the way , walking it and see where it could be that place! We want to rent a place live on top and do a small 12 person albergue...so first of all we need to like the place to stay but it needs to be a spot that an albergue would be needed also...I know that this can't be answered and we need to walk to find the answer but I like to share my thoughts here :)
Buen Camino!!!!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
What is needed on the CF is not one albergue more, but one that is open in winter ;-) For example, the stretch between Burgos and Castrojeriz is very difficult in winter as a lot of albergues are closed. The only other place on the CF I can think of is between Roncesvalles and Pamplona which becomes a bottleneck in 'high season'. Are you also looking at other ways or only at the CF? Buen Camino/Albergue, SY

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi, SYates.
Between Roncevalles and Pamplona I have always seen the municipal shelters of Zubiri and Larrasoaña open in winter.
Between Burgos and Castogeriz are open in Hornillos and Hontanas.
It is true that they may be closed on Christmas Day.

What is needed on the CF is not one albergue more, but one that is open in winter ;-) For example, the stretch between Burgos and Castrojeriz is very difficult in winter as a lot of albergues are closed. The only other place on the CF I can think of is between Roncesvalles and Pamplona which becomes a bottleneck in 'high season'. Are you also looking at other ways or only at the CF? Buen Camino/Albergue, SY

I walked winter 2014, Feb-Mar. Often we pilgrims had to push on further than we wished due to closed albergues.
Congrats on camino marriage. Good luck with albergue.

Last edited:
@angeliki louk I have some friends who were also interested in starting or buying an albergue. They got in touch with @Rebekah Scott and she arranged for them to try the experience first, by being hospitaleros for a couple of weeks. It was very useful and provided them with first hand knowledge. Have you thought about doing the same thing?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thank you for your reply..we looked also the Portuguese way since my husband is from Portugal but it's not worth it..The number of people are not enough to maintain and albergue and live from that...plus for me the French way is the way I am connected more :)

If you are looking at the French Way and need to make a living out of an albergue you will run into all sorts of problems. Pretty much every single village has at least one albergue which might lead to difficulties with the neighbours who will see you as a competition to the existing ones, especially out of the main season.

As @Rebekah Scott has written here many times, you need an additional source of income to make that work. But first of all I would suggest you do a longer stint as hospitaleros before committing to anything, the dream and the reality of 'daily pilgrim care' are really different things ;-)

You might want to read her thread here https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/so-you-want-to-run-your-own-albergue.21604/ and consider all of the very valid points she makes. Buen Camino/Albergue, SY

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
Today is March 21, 1024 If you’re starting El Francés around this time, be warned that quite a few stretches between Rabanal del Camino and Molinaseca are in pretty bad shape. Lots of mud, and...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.