• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Where there's a will there's a way

mspath

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances, autumn/winter; 2004, 2005-2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
But señor, THIS is Spain. Sometimes, it is who you know that gets things done.

That said, I think it is a good idea. But, I would not get too carried away with approving Compostelas for ‘alternative” routings - too often. This was clearly a one-off that merited special treatment. These people are repaying a debt to society. This is an excellent way to start a rehabilitation process.

I almost posted the same article earlier. You beat me to it. Thanks.

Tom

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I do hope that in addition to receiving their compostela, that the incarcerated men were also granted a pilgrim’s mass. Many might not be Catholic, but neither are all who go to the mass at the Cathedral at the end (Or to the chapel at the compostela office, or to St. Francis…), and even for those who do not believe, the event can be deeply moving.
And so I do hope that this happened for them. My Spanish is not good enough yet to know if I missed it in the article.
Anyone?

I think it’s good news. That much walking was good exercise, and helped people experience long term planning and delayed gratification: often those who commit crimes have different brain wiring that makes both of those things difficult. And if you’re busy walking less time to get into trouble.

Personally I don’t spend much time worrying about whether others got something I got but for less effort, e.g. did they cut some corners on the mall or Haines Point during the Marine Corp Marathon…not important to whether I finished. But then, I don’t mind ppl getting a larger tax break as long as my taxes also go down. In short, I’m self-centered

and while I often look at my credentials and their stamps (and debate framing them), my compostella is in a drawer in my library….maybe…I think.

im very happy for the men who did this Camino behind walls.

I do hope that in addition to receiving their compostela, that the incarcerated men were also granted a pilgrim’s mass. Many might not be Catholic, but neither are all who go to the mass at the Cathedral at the end (Or to the chapel at the compostela office, or to St. Francis…), and even for those who do not believe, the event can be deeply moving.
And so I do hope that this happened for them. My Spanish is not good enough yet to know if I missed it in the article.
Anyone?
I didn’t see mention of a Pilgrims Mass but since this is a Spanish prison there’s undoubtedly Mass every week. Since the prison chaplain was involved I imagine he mentioned the accomplishments

also I noticed looking at the pictures that they received a certificate from the cathedral (in Spanish) not the Latin Compostella.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
After reading this article all one can say is Ultreia!

Thanks, @mspath, for your post. Staying with your title proverb, I began to think of the many literal and figurative ways to Santiago. I know from experience a few of the routes. I know why I have walked them, and over the years have learned an amount of things about the origins and development of 'The Camino'. My latest instructor is Tim Moore. I can't recall who is the guilty one, but someone on the forum recently referred to the book he wrote about his walk across Spain with a donkey. Thus far, and I only began to read yesterday - I love his droll approach. Whatever happens to him along the way, he begins by bursting the balloon of the purity of intention of the true pilgrim! If that news item appeared on National TV here in Ireland, many would mumble: Fair Play to them! To borrow a frequently invoked phrase on this forum: their camino, their way!
Indeed - Ultreia!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back