• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Where to begin

4uisell

Time of past OR future Camino
Plan to walk (2015)
Hi,

I am only able to walk 7 days and want to make the most of it. What would you recommend:
Start in SJPDP and if so at what point would you skip ahead?
Begin at another closer location and skip ahead? Or would you start at a place 7 days walk out from CDS?
Thank you in advance for your advice.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
You probably could manage O Cebreiro to Santiago, 160 km. You get to O Cebreiro by taking a bus to Piedrafita do Cebreiro, then a taxi to the top of the hill.

Buen camino.

That is a tough one, I really like It all. More of the question what are you seeking? Even more personal what is driving your desire? I don't want the answers. Just ask yourself. Then go with whatever works out.

This is very addictive walking. So if there is a possibility to return I would start in Pamplona. If returning to Spain is an issue Astorga to Sarria. All of it is unique, Regardless of were you start it will make an impression.
Keith

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi! I agree that it depends on travel arrangements, your motivations, experience, and whether or not you plan to continue in future.

Personally I'd choose one section and not skip ahead. You would lose time waiting for buses etc, and it's nice to be part of a Camino 'family'. Easy transport links will also maximise your walking time.

Buen Camino!

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Hi,

I am only able to walk 7 days and want to make the most of it. What would you recommend:
Begin at another closer location and skip ahead? Or would you start at a place 7 days walk out from CDS?
I would begin in Sjpdp and come back and start where you end this year.
wish you a Buen Camino , Peter .

You probably could manage O Cebreiro to Santiago, 160 km. You get to O Cebreiro by taking a bus to Piedrafita do Cebreiro, then a taxi to the top of the hill.

Buen camino.
Thank you.
That is a tough one, I really like It all. More of the question what are you seeking? Even more personal what is driving your desire? I don't want the answers. Just ask yourself. Then go with whatever works out.

This is very addictive walking. So if there is a possibility to return I would start in Pamplona. If returning to Spain is an issue Astorga to Sarria. All of it is unique, Regardless of were you start it will make an impression.
Keith
thank you Keith.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi! I agree that it depends on travel arrangements, your motivations, experience, and whether or not you plan to continue in future.

Personally I'd choose one section and not skip ahead. You would lose time waiting for buses etc, and it's nice to be part of a Camino 'family'. Easy transport links will also maximise your walking time.

Buen Camino!
Thank you

Hi,

Seven days isn't enough for skipping ahead. Personally, I'd start in SJPdP and walk seven days. Don't worry about Santiago. You can always come back and pick up where you left off someday if it is important to you.

But if Santiago is a must, with only 7 days, I'd start in Triacastella or maybe Laguna de Castilla.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Good luck on getting a straight answer on that question. You may get a lot of philosophical ramblings. :D
Ditto on starting in O'Cebreiro. A lot of pilgrims start there. It took me six days from there to Santiago.
When you reach Santiago, get your compostela and if one day in the future you have more time, do it again from SJPdP. It ain't going anywhere.
cheers

Good luck on getting a straight answer on that question. You may get a lot of philosophical ramblings. :D
Ditto on starting in O'Cebreiro. A lot of pilgrims start there. It took me six days from there to Santiago.
When you reach Santiago, get your compostela and if one day in the future you have more time, do it again from SJPdP. It ain't going anywhere.
cheers
If he's serious about O'Cebreiro, let me reccoment Laguna de la Castilla, about 4 km back from there. 1) it's a great albuergue 2) you get to cross the official border into Galicia & 3) you hit O'Cebreiro first thing in the morning when it isn't overrun by tourists and doesn't feel like Galician Disney. I LOVED O'Cebreiro, but the people I knew who spent the night were surprised I liked it so much

I agree with an earlier posting from Waveprof, start in SJPdP and walk. You will arrive somewhere in 7 days (perhaps Logrono) The lure of the Camino will bring you back to continue where you left off. In my humble opinion walking into Santiago for the first time can never be repeated. I am very sure you will be back, and back again.
(I am on my way back next year)
Buen Camino, whatever you decision.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Good luck on your decision and Buen Camino!

Hi,

O Cebreiro
Buen Camino

Is getting a Compostela the aim of your Camino?

If not, I would start at St Jean and just walk. ...

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back