• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Where to buy a SIM card?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Orafo

Time of past OR future Camino
Past: Camino Francés, SJPP to Santiago and Finisterre (Sept.-Oct. 2013); Planned: Camino del Salvador-Camino Primitivo-Camino Francés-Camino Finisterre (Sept.-Oct. 2014)
Can anyone recommend a handy place to buy a SIM card in Spain (for my European cell phone), either in the Madrid airport or perhaps in Pamplona or elsewhere? I understand the sale of them is more controlled than, say, in France and some other countries. And are there various capacities to consider, or recommended companies? I will need it only for texting with Camino friends and calling for the occasional reservation. Gracias por la información.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
There was not much difficulty in buying a SIM, at least for me. Madrid airport may have them, but I have never found them there. The Pamplona Vodafone store just off the Plaza del Castillo is a good place to get one. It is closed midday and Sundays. Movistar also has a good reputation for coverage, so you could look for them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, Falcon269. I will arrive on a Monday, so hopefully I can find one pretty easily. I have a bit of a layover at the bus station in Pamplona, en route to SJPP, so hopefully I can make it to the Plaza de Castillo or some other place with a phone store (I don't know my way around Pamplona -- was last there in about 1965! -- but will do a bit of homework).

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Vodafone
Calle de la Estafeta, 79
31001 Pamplona
Navarra, Spain

Walk 750 m, 10 min
Use caution - may involve errors or sections not suited for walking

icon

Conda (Compañía Navarra de Autobuses), Yanguas y Miranda
31003 Pamplona, Spain
Head north on Calle Yanguas y Miranda/Yanguas y Miranda Kalea toward Pakearen Plaza/Plaza de la Paz
21 m
Continue onto Pakearen Plaza/Plaza de la Paz
57 m
Turn left onto Calle Yanguas y Miranda/Yanguas y Miranda Kalea
120 m
Turn right onto Calle Estella/Lizarra Kalea
260 m
Continue onto Calle Cortes de Navarra/Nafarroako Gorteen Kalea
230 m
Turn left to stay on Calle Cortes de Navarra/Nafarroako Gorteen Kalea
24 m
Continue onto Calle Estafeta/Estafeta Kalea
Destination will be on the right
48 m
icon

Vodafone
Calle de la Estafeta, 79, 31001 Pamplona, Navarra, Spain

Can anyone recommend a handy place to buy a SIM card in Spain (for my European cell phone), either in the Madrid airport or perhaps in Pamplona or elsewhere? I understand the sale of them is more controlled than, say, in France and some other countries. And are there various capacities to consider, or recommended companies? I will need it only for texting with Camino friends and calling for the occasional reservation. Gracias por la información.
El Corte Ingles (in the electronics section) is across the street from the bus station in Pamplona has all phone carriers to choose from.

Great help, Falcon and Bajaracer -- thanks so much.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Another vote for Corte Ingles here - lots of selection and - if you are lucky - even some English speaking staff (in case your Spanish is a bit rusty ;-) ) SY

Hi orafo,
As mentioned by falcon and all the veteran peregrinos, forget about buying the spanish sim card at madrid barajas airport, instead buying the card in pamplona. The best ones in terms of connectivity are vodafone and movistar. The reason the sales of sim card is more controlled in spain is due to the 2004 terrorist bombings of metro and train stations in madrid which were set off by payg mobile phones.
Buen camino.

Last edited:
I dropped into a Vodaphone shop and got a very good deal on the SIM card and rate plan.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Tarifa Internet Móvil 1GB

- Tarifa plana de Internet 24h
- Velocidad de navegación de hasta 14,4Mbps el primer 1GB
- Después, baja la velocidad a 128Kbps
10€/mes 0 €
Vodafone's current offering. The 0E is the chip cost.

Vodafone's current offering. The 0E is the chip cost.

Thanks, Falcon. Mine is just a simple cell phone, no need for Internet connection, so hopefully I can find a SIM card that just lets me text and call within Spain. Or maybe the one you mention is actually the best deal, whether or not I need all its capabilities. I'll inquire at the Vodaphone counter.

I got a SIM card for my basic phone for 20 Euro @ Movistar Wed!
Thanks, Falcon. Mine is just a simple cell phone, no need for Internet connection, so hopefully I can find a SIM card that just lets me text and call within Spain. Or maybe the one you mention is actually the best deal, whether or not I need all its capabilities. I'll inquire at the Vodaphone counter.
b

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Mine is just a simple cell phone, no need for Internet connection
How middle ages!! ;):)

Simple phone service was all they sold on a pay as you go plan until about three years ago. I am sure they still have a phone call SIM, but it probably is not widely advertised.

Hi Orafo,
I would advise to purchase your sim before the trip, so that when you land, you will have it ready :)
I`ve been using travelsim (travelsim.com) on previous trip...its cheap for texting, and calling within Europe.

Hi Orafo,
I would advise to purchase your sim before the trip, so that when you land, you will have it ready :)
I`ve been using travelsim (travelsim.com) on previous trip...its cheap for texting, and calling within Europe.

Once you have a local SIM card and are set-up to make local calls in spain, are you able to make toll free calls for free?
The. Reason I ask is that I have a phone card that is very cheap - Spain to United States.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Can anyone advise me as I am coming from Singapore. Will be spending 15days in Spain. Will be arriving in Barcelona. Is there a calling card i can purchase at the airport? Im using iPhone5 currently. How much is it for data/calls/txt usage?

Please advise. Thanks

You don't say who you're calling. Or for that matter when you'll arrive.

Falcon above provides info on a Vodafone deal but that was Sept. It's possible and may be even likely the deal has already been updated. Which should give you an idea how much things can change.

Still odds are €20 will give you all you need for use in Spain. Data and voice.

If you need to call abroad check the carrier websites . They often have low cost plans to call abroad aimed at expats etc.

http://www.vodafone.es/particulares...madas-internacionales/vodafone-internacional/

For example if I'm reading that right Singapore with that offer is between 2 and 10 cents a minute

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I will be calling back to Singapore. But mostly i wanna use the phone more for data usage like serving the web/twitter/instagram/facebook.
The link you provided me is not in English. Is there anything in English?

Any suggestion where is the nearest place i can get a calling card when i arrive at the airport?

One of many:
Vodafone
Lepanto, 264, 08013 Barcelona, Spain

Search Google maps for other locations.

It will be difficult to visit Spain without trying to navigate a bit in Spanish!! If you open websites in Chrome, they will be automatically translated into the language of your choice. However, the original webpage for most Spanish commerce will be in Spanish. A few may have an English option. Vodafone does not offer that yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.