• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Where to buy brass pavement shells in Santiago?

jonarv

Time of past OR future Camino
2016 recce, 2017 full Frances
Walking the Camino Frances I have seen a variety of designs of brass shells embedded in pavements, guiding our way to Santiago. One of these is pretty much the only physical thing both my dad and I would like to take back to our respective homes. I'm surprised I've not seen any (other than 2 fairly icky cheap ones and one stupendously expensive so-so one) for sale in Santiago - we have been fairly thorough in looking in the city centre shops!
Does anyone who knows the city know if/where I can buy these? We're off to Finisterre and Muxia tomorrow but back for a few days before we fly home on the 7th.
Any advice much appreciated :)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
There is a shop on the Rua das Casas Reals, on your right as you walk up from the Puerto de Camino which sells Conches and other Jacobean souvenirs in Brass. They are quality cast items and their price reflects the craftsmanship and quality of material. Stupendous or 'icky' you pays your money and you takes your choice. You could always make your own so long as you can heat your copper and zinc to somewhere above 900c and your mould isn't too wet or dry.

Happy shopping ;)

Thanks. We'll take a look next week. Not sure my DIY skills are up to it - would rather pay for quality craftsmanship. Even if we then embed it in a path!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
That's the exact shop I was going to suggest, Rúa das Casas Reais, 23. It sort of looks like a hardware shop from the street. I was there in October last year when a friend purchased a beautiful brass shell door knocker, another lovely use for the shell symbol. She loved the idea of the Camino spirit forever on her front door, pilgrims always welcome

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
A few doors down from Pilgrim House, towards the cathedral, there is a shop that sells Galician specialties including metal shells. Not brass, more iron looking. I bought a few of the as Christmas tree ornaments. They are made by a local welder.

It seems that many of us are familiar with the Ferreteria (hardware store) on Rua das Casas Reais.

A quick aside: our 10-year-old nephew grew very interested in our accidental inclusion of a "Ferreteria" sign in one of our Barcelona pictures. He wondered aloud if they sold real ferrets there.

His father, who teaches Spanish in high school, quickly stepped in.

Last edited:
The shop I mentioned aboce is called Mestre Mateo, it's located at Rua Nova no.3. I think the ironish works they sell are mase by Forja de Santiago.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Rua do villar 14. There you can buy the brass shell you are looking for. The name is casa Miguel

Thanks everyone!! For others' reference:

The Ferreteria Casas Chico as 23 Casas Reais has a range of pieces at very reasonable prices. Very nice old hardware store!!

Casa Miguel at Rio do Villar 14 has a range of quality shiny things - expensive but well made.

The Mestre Mateo shop on Rua Nova 3 seems to have turned into an optical shop of the same name.

Pilgrims have now shopped - thanks for the information all!!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

Does anyone know a good shop I SDC where they have local cheeses, hams and other delicacies to take home?
The Galicia Rail pass is available to anyone who completes the Camino and is awarded the completion certificate. It allows for 3 days of train travel and also discounts to other places you may...
Has anybody recently volunteered at the Pilgrim office for the 15 day timeframe? Where did you stay in Santiago?
For those who are in Santiago 🙏🏻

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.