• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Where to buy hiking poles in Madrid

Ernie Fraser

Time of past OR future Camino
Portuguese Sept/Oct 2023
I plan to fly into Madrid mid-September without checking my backpack. Where in Madrid city center can hiking poles be purchased?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Shops, or to be more helpful Decathlon which seems to have 10 branches in Madrid including one at Atocha, handy for anyone heading north
Thanks. Will be staying in the Atocha area for two nights prior to walking so this seems like a possibility.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Madrid center at the 0Km marker, in the same plaza were Apple store is you will find an old store specialized
in walking batons and poles and hats ... I got mine there during the Camino de Madrid.
Later modified to be split in two pieces to fit in my backpack.

Attachments

• IMG_20220604_093812.jpg
    IMG_20220604_093812.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 15
I plan to fly into Madrid mid-September without checking my backpack. Where in Madrid city center can hiking poles be purchased?
Hi I bought mine from Decathlon Madrid Salamanca branch. They had a range at different prices. Bonus is the Salamanca branch is near the Sorolla Museum/ art gallery and is much less hectic than Atocha.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I went to three different places in Madrid because I’m very picky when it comes to poles. They have to be my size, not too heavy, they have to be the kind that folds out not the ones that telescope and they have to have rubber caps on the ends so I don’t make that awful “clinking” sound with every step. On the third store I found them! Go to Outdoor Sin Limite. They have the perfect poles! If not, you can certainly go to Decathlon but in my experience their inventory wasn’t too good. Best of luck to you! Robin

So many fabulous tips on this website (thank you!) Basic question: For the most part do people find that they can take their Camino pack as carryon lugguge on their flight with the exception of the walking poles (which it sounds like I can buy when I arrive in Madrid, Spain)? What do you think of checking luggage on the outward journey with poles purchased at home (Canada) then giving/selling them to someone when departing (Porto, Portugal).

Welcome to the Forum!
Basic question: For the most part do people find that they can take their Camino pack as carryon lugguge on their flight
Basic answer: For the most part, yes, but this is not much consolation if you are the person who is stopped at the gate. If you want confidence that you can carry it on your flight, just make sure that it fits within the dimensions given by the airline! For some backpacks, this might mean not filling the top part of the pack to capacity.

For the definitive answer on poles on planes, see this thread.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Welcome to the Forum!

Basic answer: For the most part, yes, but this is not much consolation if you are the person who is stopped at the gate. If you want confidence that you can carry it on your flight, just make sure that it fits within the dimensions given by the airline! For some backpacks, this might mean not filling the top part of the pack to capacity.

For the definitive answer on poles on planes, see this thread.
Thank you for the welcome and the very helpful information.

So many fabulous tips on this website (thank you!) Basic question: For the most part do people find that they can take their Camino pack as carryon lugguge on their flight with the exception of the walking poles (which it sounds like I can buy when I arrive in Madrid, Spain)? What do you think of checking luggage on the outward journey with poles purchased at home (Canada) then giving/selling them to someone when departing (Porto, Portugal).
It depends on which pack I am using. The pack I bought for my 2016 Camino had a rigid piece in the back that was just an inch or two too long to fit within the carry on specifications. So I used different packs for my 2018 and 2023 Caminos that fit as carry on (the first was the one that my son had used for the 2016 Camino, the second was one that I purchased for myself for 2023 and made sure would fit). So you can fit your pack (minus poles, pocket knifes, etc.) as carry on - if you have a pack that fits. :)

In terms of your second question, it doesn't make much sense to me. If I am bringing poles from home and have a ticket that allows luggage checking, why not take my poles home with me? If I am going to have carry on luggage only for one leg of the trip and not the other, it's going to be on the outward leg, so there are no worries about luggage delays when I arrive. If my luggage is delayed for a few days when I get home because it has gone astray, it's much less of an issue. I am much more likely to give away poles (as I did after my 2023 Camino) if they are ones I acquired in Spain because I was on a carry on only flight.

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.