• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Where to buy hiking umbrella in SJPP

Kelly Johnston

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Newbie! Planning on walking in May/June 2017
Hi everyone,

Long time lurker, first time poster. This forum has been invaluable in helping plan our trip!
I'm from Australia and my husband and I are starting the Camino on Thursday.

I would love to take a handsfree hiking umbrella, but found it hard to find one in Australia. I thought I might have more luck once over here. We are currently staying in Bayonne and will be starting from SJPP on Thursday. Does anyone know of any shops in either of these places that might stock a hiking umbrella?

Thanks so much!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
There's a hiking/sports shop in Bayonne near the Cathedral, Kelly. You might try there. And Boutique de Pelerin is definitely worth a try. They have some surprising things.
Edit - Ivar has them here. Maybe he can mail one to you, say, in Pamplona?
Buen Camino!

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi everyone,

Long time lurker, first time poster. This forum has been invaluable in helping plan our trip!
I'm from Australia and my husband and I are starting the Camino on Thursday.

I would love to take a handsfree hiking umbrella, but found it hard to find one in Australia. I thought I might have more luck once over here. We are currently staying in Bayonne and will be starting from SJPP on Thursday. Does anyone know of any shops in either of these places that might stock a hiking umbrella?

Thanks so much!
Hello. Even I plan to start on Thursday morning. I am sitting in the Airport lounge in Mumbai , India , waiting for my flight. Do you think we can walk together? Where will you people be staying in SJPDP ? Regards. Mayuresh

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I don't know about the shops, either, but, any lightweight (and sturdy) umbrella can be helpful. The silver coating on the "real deal" ones reflect better, but regular nylon can help. Sometimes you will be glad to fold up your hiking pole in preference to the hot sun, or pouring rain--at least I have been on numerous occasions. You may also be able to rig up your own handless umbrella by threading it through your backpack chest strip and fastening it with a carabiner to your waist belt. Section hiker has an article here on how to do it. https://sectionhiker.com/how-to-attach-trekking-umbrella-to-a-backpack/

I use this exact system: shock cords and cordlocks, to attach my water bottle (a biking water bottle that has the narrow neck) to my shoulder strap. It's ridiculous how many packs have side pockets that either won't hold a water bottle or from which you cannot extract a bottle while you're walking. The bottle on my shoulder strap is accessible and feels like it's not even there! I'm going to use this same system for my umbrella.

Hello. Even I plan to start on Thursday morning. I am sitting in the Airport lounge in Mumbai , India , waiting for my flight. Do you think we can walk together? Where will you people be staying in SJPDP ? Regards. Mayuresh

Hi Mayuresh,
We are staying in Bayonne and leaving for SJPP tomorrow morning. We aren't doing a full day, we're stopping halfway at Orrison for the night, so we won't be leaving SJPP till later in the day. Are you walking to Roncesvalles?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi Mayuresh,
We are staying in Bayonne and leaving for SJPP tomorrow morning. We aren't doing a full day, we're stopping halfway at Orrison for the night, so we won't be leaving SJPP till later in the day. Are you walking to Roncesvalles?
Yes. No place available in Orisson. No problem. Will meet you on the way somewhere

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back