• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino Where to buy new shoes?

trecile

Staff member
Time of past OR future Camino
Francés, Norte, Salvador, Primitivo, Portuguese
I just noticed that the tread on my shoes is wearing down much faster than I expected. I trained all summer in another pair of the same model, with no significant tread wear, so I'm quite surprised. Unfortunately, my feet are rather hard to fit, so I'll need to find a store with a good selection.

I'm currently in Itero de la Vega. I want another pair of trail runners, as they have been treating my feet well. I see that there isn't a Decathlon store in León. Any suggestions?
Thanks

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Take a day off to get back to Burgos, if you don't think your shoes will make it for much longer. The Decathlon is not in the center and will require a bus/taxi.

If your shoes are still fairly ok, Astorga has a great shop off the plaza, run by a knowledgeable Swiss couple. They really pick the inventory they carry. It's called Deportes Huracan.

For other options see this older Forum thread:
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/outdoor-stores-in-leon.27776/

My shoes are okay, but I doubt that they will last until Santiago.
If I decide to go to Burgos what would be the best way?
And ironically, I just accompanied a couple of other peregrinos to the Decathlon in Burgos two days ago.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Take a day off to get back to Burgos, if you don't think your shoes will make it for much longer. The Decathlon is not in the center and will require a bus/taxi.

If your shoes are still fairly ok, Astorga has a great shop off the plaza, run by a knowledgeable Swiss couple. They really pick the inventory they carry. It's called Deportes Huracan.

For other options see this older Forum thread:
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/outdoor-stores-in-leon.27776/

From Itero there is apparently only 1 bus per week back to Burgos (I always sigh when people post on the Forum that finding goods on the Camino is not an issue as Spain is a developed country - they forget the Caminos go through rural areas, often passing villages where fod is brought in weekly by the butcher and fishmonger), but if you go to Fromista there is a daily bus, except Sunday, but since today is Sunday that won't matter.

https://autobusesamaya.com/las-rutas/fromista/

Leaves 7:30 in the morning, brings you back with the 17:30 bus, so a full day's adventure.

You may also want to catch up with friends and bus back to Carrion de los Condes, but the Alsa bus leaves Burgos too early: 10:30 am.

My shoes are okay, but I doubt that they will last until Santiago.
If I decide to go to Burgos what would be the best way?
And ironically, I just accompanied a couple of other peregrinos to the Decathlon in Burgos two days ago.

I wouldn't go back to Burgos. If you can't find anything in León or Astorga there is also a Decathlon in Ponferrada. The Camino will provide (look also in the 'free to take' baskets in albergues - you never know). Buen Camino, SY

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I also would keep going. And as @SYates says, who knows? Maybe send a PM to Rebekah at Peaceable--she would know if there's anything closer (say at Sahagun) and where to go in Leon.
Hope the tread lasts a while longer @trecile!--at least the path is almost completely flat all the way to Astorga, so it's not a safety concern...

I asked the hospitalera at the albergue here, and she gave me a flyer for a store in Carrion de los Condes that has "shoes for pilgrims", so I'll stop there in a couple of days. It's probably good that this is slowing me down a bit, as members of my original Camino family are a bit behind me, and I'd like to see them again. :)

Other than the premature demise of my shoes (which fit me perfectly and haven't caused blisters) , all the other gear that I've brought has been working fabulously. The only items I haven't used are the layers I have for colder weather.

... It's probably good that this is slowing me down a bit, as members of my original Camino family are a bit behind me, and I'd like to see them again. :) ...

The Camino provides in unexpected ways - for you and for them. Buen Camino, SY

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Leon has a good selection of hiking stores and athletic stores. You can get suggestions in the tourist office. I had to replace shoes in Leon a few years ago and had my choice of several great fitting pairs ranging from some fancy Italian 500 euros to the 59 euro Salomons that I bought and loved. If you don't find what you need in Astorga, I'd hang on till Leon if you can.

In addition to the Corte Inglés (big department store with decent selection in most cities): https://www.sprinter.es/tienda-sprinter-leon

My own unsolicited advice would be not to buy shoes in Decathlon. I had to buy a new pair in Zaragoza this year and the first store I passed was the in-city Decathlon. Even the woman who brought out some pairs for me to try suggested that if I was really going to walk in them, I should go to a better store.

Buen camino, trecile, glad you are surmounting the challenges and thriving! Laurie

Last edited:
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I walked in Croc slip-ons on the Frances from Hospital de Obrigo to Astorga, so as long as your shoes are not in horrible state or you have a decent evening shoe you will be ok.

But this thread makes me think think that it would be useful to have a "Outdoor shop" (or something similar) section in the Resource section of the Forum with a list of shops and description of what they typically carry.

The list would need to be qualified, descriptive, as there are shops here and there that sell "running shoes/sneakers/trekking shoes" but these would be in 1 size only or of the quality of a "Five & Dime" shop.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I asked the hospitalera at the albergue here, and she gave me a flyer for a store in Carrion de los Condes that has "shoes for pilgrims", so I'll stop there in a couple of days.
I do remember a small shop that had gear for pilgrims; I bought some batteries there. It was near the plaza and church. I looked the town up on a map and it was on the Calle Santa Maria. The store I remember was near the center of this map: https://mappingsupport.com/p/gmap4.php?ll=42.337337,-4.602433&z=18&t=t1

P.S. Your new avatar gives me a smile.

Thanks for all the suggestions. As I said, the need for new shoes isn't imminent, but I know that they won't last to Santiago. My main concern is finding a good fit, because I tried many shoes before I settled on these. But that also means that I know what brands work for me. I think that I'd like to hold out to León at least, because I don't want to be carrying an extra pair of shoes longer than necessary, as I won't ditch these shoes while they still are wearable.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
In the meantime, make sure you have duct tape ("Jesus tape" ;) - perfect for the camino!) with you for temporary shoe repairs. It has saved me a couple of times.

There is a small shop indeed in Carrion, but I'm not sure how good it is for shoes - I seem to remember they were good for clothes and bits and bobs. But Carrion is a pretty large place in Camino terms, and you may find more shops if venture into the area used by locals. However, I do remember there was a pretty good outdoor shop in Sahagun, not too far from the municipal albergue. I didn't go in but I know some people bought things and they had a good selection of quality items. Someone (though not someone I knew) definitely bought some shoes there, as they arrived with theirs taped up and left with some fully intact ones :) - all witnessed from the terrace of the bar opposite ;)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
For what it is worth, Decathlon does regularly carry Salomon and Merrill brands for hiking boots and shoes, plus their house brand Quechua. They also carry Adidas, Nike and other world class brands of training and running shoes. I frequently shop in Decathlon stores while in Europe, and particularly in Spain. They offer good value for money. I wish we had them in the US.

But, fitting footwear is a serious and highly individualistic thing. So, think carefully, and consider adding another thin layer of liner socks, or panty hose material "footies," on a not-yet fully-broken-in pair of new shoes, especially if they are of a brand you do not normally use. This added "slip layer" will help avoid blisters.

I have been to the Ponferrada Decathlon store and can recommend it. It is on the west side of the city, across the river, in the "new" section. You can access it on foot from the ancient center. I recall it was about a 20-minute walk from the castle.

From the Decathlon store to the point where the Camino exits Ponferrada, back on the east side of the river, was about another 20-30 minute walk...all through the city. The trip is in a "half circle" from the castle to the store to the Camino exiting from Ponferrada. You walk in a clockwise direction.

Laurie "Peregrina2000" is likely correct about buying shoes at Decathlon, but IMHO only for their house brand. They typically offer very good value for money across their entire product lines. However, if you needed to buy shoes or boots to wear on the Camino, like right out of the store, their house brand likely requires more of a break-in period. See the "slip layer" tip above...

I have also been to the El Corte Ingles store in Leon. I bought some Camino stuff there in 2014. Like most El Corte Ingles stores in larger cities...it is HUGE! Try not to get disoriented.

Look for the "deportes" (sporting goods) department, usually on the first (0) or second (1) floor. As I recall, the store is located downtown, but on the east side of the main drag...it is maybe a 15-minute in-city stroll from the center of town. The streets are all well marked.

Their prices are not inexpensive, but they DO offer world-class products and brands. Their house label is called "Boomerang." At Santiago, in July, I obtained two very nice microfiber polo shirts for only €11 each. Yes, they were on sale, but I wear like a size 56 (XXL). My clothes are all larger than usual, even in Spain where sizing runs small. I consider this a steal! But, I hit the end of season sales that run in July and August each year...;)

So, do follow the advice given here. All of it is well-intentioned and informed by experience. However, do not shy away from Decathlon if you are near one. This is especially true if you happen to wear either Salomon or Merrill hiking footwear.

Just a related point, Decathlon stores are usually all located on the outskirts of town as they are very large and on one level. Plan on taking a bus or a taxi to get to one. In Ponferrada, the Decathlon store is more "in town" but is still on the western outskirts of Ponferrada and is not as large as some others. There is always plenty to see and temp the wallet...

For example, the one in Santiago is at the very end of the number C5 or C6 bus line in Costa Vella. The store is literally across the street from the bus stop. The bus ride from Plaza de Galicia is about one-hour, but costs one-euro. A taxi will cost about €8 from Plaza de Galicia, but takes 10 minutes. Usually, I take a taxi there, then plan my shopping to coincide with the bus schedule to return.

I hope this helps.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
In the meantime, make sure you have duct tape ("Jesus tape" ;) - perfect for the camino!) with you for temporary shoe repairs. It has saved me a couple of times.
Don't worry, the shoes are quite intact but wearing faster than I hoped. I do think I'll get some new insoles though, as the fabric on top of the insoles is separating from the rubbery part - duct tape is coming in handy there.

If the shoes and insoles get you to Sarria, but no further, there is a nice outdoor shop there that carries a wide selection of footwear and equipment. It's located just before you reach the long set of stairs.

For what it is worth, Decathlon does regularly carry Salomon and Merrill brands for hiking boots and shoes, plus their house brand Quechua. They also carry Adidas, Nike and other world class brands of training and running shoes. I frequently shop in Decathlon stores while in Europe, and particularly in Spain. They offer good value for money. I wish we had them in the US.

But, fitting footwear is a serious and highly individualistic thing. So, think carefully, and consider adding another thin layer of liner socks, or panty hose material "footies," on a not-yet fully-broken-in pair of new shoes, especially if they are of a brand you do not normally use. This added "slip layer" will help avoid blisters.

I have been to the Ponferrada Decathlon store and can recommend it. It is on the west side of the city, across the river, in the "new" section. You can access it on foot from the ancient center. I recall it was about a 20-minute walk from the castle.

From the Decathlon store to the point where the Camino exits Ponferrada, back on the east side of the river, was about another 20-30 minute walk...all through the city. The trip is in a "half circle" from the castle to the store to the Camino exiting from Ponferrada. You walk in a clockwise direction.

Laurie "Peregrina2000" is likely correct about buying shoes at Decathlon, but IMHO only for their house brand. They typically offer very good value for money across their entire product lines. However, if you needed to buy shoes or boots to wear on the Camino, like right out of the store, their house brand likely requires more of a break-in period. See the "slip layer" tip above...

I have also been to the El Corte Ingles store in Leon. I bought some Camino stuff there in 2014. Like most El Corte Ingles stores in larger cities...it is HUGE! Try not to get disoriented.

Look for the "deportes" (sporting goods) department, usually on the first (0) or second (1) floor. As I recall, the store is located downtown, but on the east side of the main drag...it is maybe a 15-minute in-city stroll from the center of town. The streets are all well marked.

Their prices are not inexpensive, but they DO offer world-class products and brands. Their house label is called "Boomerang." At Santiago, in July, I obtained two very nice microfiber polo shirts for only €11 each. Yes, they were on sale, but I wear like a size 56 (XXL). My clothes are all larger than usual, even in Spain where sizing runs small. I consider this a steal! But, I hit the end of season sales that run in July and August each year...;)

So, do follow the advice given here. All of it is well-intentioned and informed by experience. However, do not shy away from Decathlon if you are near one. This is especially true if you happen to wear either Salomon or Merrill hiking footwear.

Just a related point, Decathlon stores are usually all located on the outskirts of town as they are very large and on one level. Plan on taking a bus or a taxi to get to one. In Ponferrada, the Decathlon store is more "in town" but is still on the western outskirts of Ponferrada and is not as large as some others. There is always plenty to see and temp the wallet...

For example, the one in Santiago is at the very end of the number C5 or C6 bus line in Costa Vella. The store is literally across the street from the bus stop. The bus ride from Plaza de Galicia is about one-hour, but costs one-euro. A taxi will cost about €8 from Plaza de Galicia, but takes 10 minutes. Usually, I take a taxi there, then plan my shopping to coincide with the bus schedule to return.

I hope this helps.
Yes, very helpful information. As I mentioned, I was just on the Decathlon store in Burgos before I discovered that I might have an issue with my shoes. I noticed Asics, Adidas and Solomon shoes. In fact the young woman I was with bought a pair of Asics.

It sounds like I will have plenty of options. I'm in Carrión de los Condes now, so I'll check out the store here.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Not to worry. If you have "Duck Tape," aka "Jesus Tape," you can hold your present shoes together long enough to obtain a proper fitting new pair.

The Camino provides, and St. James does work in strange ways...

I hope this helps...

For what it is worth, Decathlon does regularly carry Salomon and Merrill brands for hiking boots and shoes, plus their house brand Quechua.

Thanks, t2andreo, for the heads up. You are right that I was talking about the "house brand" Decathlon shoes. The Zaragoza in-city store did not carry anything but their own brand, so maybe this varies depending on city and location. Come to think about it, when I was at the Lisbon in-city store, I also saw only house brands, so maybe the selection depends on whether you go to the big warehouse on the outskirts or the more recently opened in-city small shop.

I do remember there was a pretty good outdoor shop in Sahagun, not too far from the municipal albergue. I didn't go in but I know some people bought things and they had a good selection of quality items. Someone (though not someone I knew) definitely bought some shoes there, as they arrived with theirs taped up and left with some fully intact ones :) - all witnessed from the terrace of the bar opposite ;)

I know that shop and the description of the location is accurate. I bought my poncho there this summer. Quite new Spanis brand (I'm not at home and can't check it right now), for 25€ or so and it was perfect. Tested it on Salvador in few rainy days. But I do not remember a lot of other stuff in there. I got the impression like they were just after the major sell out or just openning the store........

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I just noticed that the tread on my shoes is wearing down much faster than I expected. I trained all summer in another pair of the same model, with no significant tread wear, so I'm quite surprised. Unfortunately, my feet are rather hard to fit, so I'll need to find a store with a good selection.

I'm currently in Itero de la Vega. I want another pair of trail runners, as they have been treating my feet well. I see that there isn't a Decathlon store in León. Any suggestions?
Thanks
I had to buy new shoes in Leon this time last year - there's a good sporting goods store on the Camino, on the left hand side, before you get to the cathedral but not more than five minutes walk from it. The shoes I bought there were great, even if they were electric blue and made me feel like I'd stepped straight out of an 80s music video!
Buen Camino!

If you know you want the exact type you have now, buy them on the internet and let them send to a place 2 days ahead of you.

I'm happy to report that I'm in Barbadelo, just past Sarria, and that my shoes have held up fine. I'm so happy that I haven't had to replace them, because they have treated my feet very well. Four weeks on the Camino and just one small blister on the side of my second toe that never caused me any problems.
I'm also glad that I followed great recommendations of many on this forum to wear trail running shoes. They are lightweight and breathe well - just what's needed for walking on hot summer days!
I was surprised to see that at least 90% of the people on the Camino are wearing boots - and getting blisters.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back