• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Where to buy protein powder in Burgos?

maritameter

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (sept 2015)
Hi! :)

Because I am so exhausted, I am having a restday in Burgos, although I have used 18 days from SJPP..

I think some of my dissiness come grom not enough food. I find it hard to get quality food on the trail. I am a bit of a nerd when it comes to nutrition.. ;-)

The biggest problem for me is protein, so I want to buy protein powder for those bad food-days. But where do They sell this? In Norway you can find it in every.. don't know the word.. anyways, you can find it anywhere where They sell vitamins and "health"-food..

But where here in Burgos - anyone Who knows of a place?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Because I am so exhausted, I am having a restday in Burgos, although I have used 18 days from SJPP..

I think some of my dissiness come grom not enough food. I find it hard to get quality food on the trail. I am a bit of a nerd when it comes to nutrition.. ;-)

The biggest problem for me is protein, so I want to buy protein powder for those bad food-days. But where do They sell this? In Norway you can find it in every.. don't know the word.. anyways, you can find it anywhere where They sell vitamins and "health"-food..

I don't recall seeing a Health food store in Burgos, but I am sure there will be some. Maybe ask the people where you are staying.

Healthy food is not easy to find along the Camino. Without looking hard........

Can I make a suggestion? ;)

Just eat what is available :)

Whilst you might want to have a really healthy diet at home, it's not easy on the Camino.

And guess what?

Your body probably won't notice :eek: It just needs fuel...........lots of fuel!

Last week I had a regular check up with my doctor and lots of blood tests.

OK I said to her....give me the bad News! Why Bad News she asked.

Because I've been eating really badly I replied. 2 months on the Camino eating loads of carbs, not enough vegetables and lots of Red Wine!

My results?

All good. Better than before :)

Funny thing about Pilgrim Menus. Whilst they generally don't look that good............or taste that good........they usually have all the major food groups you need!

Last edited:
I never found such a place; maybe try find a shop that caters to body-builders?
I am a bit of a nerd when it comes to nutrition.. ;-)
maritameter, if you can find a way to eat what is there you'll be much better off. You must eat to walk.
I'm a vegetarian...and so I ate way too much tortilla con patatas and french fries for good health. But like Robo, my yearly check-up after that came up with better results than before. It was astonishing.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thank you! I do eat - But I also feel better after Meat & veggies instead of two croissants with chocolate. And it is healthier. :)

I was calculating the protein I got - and one tortilla (maybe 10 gram? ) and one hamburger (25?) is not anywhere near the amount one should have, like 1 gram per your kg of bodyweigt.. My weight is not 35 kg ;-)

Thank you! I do eat - But I also feel better after Meat & veggies instead of two croissants with chocolate. And it is healthier. :)

I was calculating the protein I got - and one tortilla (maybe 10 gram? ) and one hamburger (25?) is not anywhere near the amount one should have, like 1 gram per your kg of bodyweigt.. My weight is not 35 kg ;-)

I'm not a nutritionist. By a long shot! But I did research food/energy needs for long distance hiking prior to my Camino. And I found that the body also needs carbs, sugars and fats. Lots of them.

Nuts have protein too. As well as fats. I munched on nuts as I was walking everyday.

Don't think too much and stop calculating .... Just eat more. Whatever is available :)

I just found this, a place called AL Peso, on the other side of the river not far from the bus station...good luck and buen camino!:
(And don't forget that lots of things have a little protein, even french fries, but especially nuts, seeds, and even grains! Eat enough of different things and you'll probably get enough. And the days balance out...)

Attachments

• Al Peso contact details.PNG
    Al Peso contact details.PNG
    178.4 KB · Views: 4
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
You sound like you know a lot about nutrition. But I was researching sources of protein.

Example here. http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/ultimate-list-40-high-protein-foods.html

A handy reminder, Beans, meat, fish, peas, lentils, eggs, cheese etc. all easily found and often part of Pilgrim menus.

I'm sure you'll do well even if you can't find protein powder :)

Last edited:

For protein powder try a sporting goods store such as Decathlon in Burgos. Here is their web/map. In their products list search for nutricion.

Last edited:

All good suggestions above. One more though - are you drinking enough water? Exhaustion and dizziness can also be signs of dehydration.
Really good idea to have a rest day. Listen to your body, increase your protein if it tells you that's what you need, get plenty of carbs too (really - you need lots on a walk like this) and water. Hope you feel better soon - buen Camino!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
All good suggestions above. One more though - are you drinking enough water? Exhaustion and dizziness can also be signs of dehydration.
Really good idea to have a rest day. Listen to your body, increase your protein if it tells you that's what you need, get plenty of carbs too (really - you need lots on a walk like this) and water. Hope you feel better soon - buen Camino!

Very good point ! If you are not needing a pee every 3-4 hours or your pee is dark....you are already DEhydrated....

Last edited:
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
The so called "croissants" with chocolate or other sugar coated nasties was a total disaster in alberges that kind of provided breakfast. Don't eat crap! At a bar you can ask "huevos fritos" or even "huevos fritos con jamon" (bacon and eggs). Most will cook for you. Add oranges from the shop, lots of vino tinto, almonds, sheep cheese, et viola - you have food!

I remember there is a outdoor shop,not that far ..which if i RECALL sells those protein bars...in the big albergue or the tourist office they will give you a map..walk down Calle Madrid until your opposite Hospital de Conception. on the corner the entrance to "Base" is the outdoor shop..this corner is on calle Madrid and calle san pedro......

just so your aware there is a decent size supermarket a few doors further on pass the bus station.....where your get all the protein you need......cooked

I know you do not have kitchen in the big albergue, next days you can buy eggs and boil them .so you have sandwich filling......you have dried sausage to take with you from Burgos and hams 1 euro to build a sandwich also the cafe in the Cathedral square called Bonfin opens 07:00 pm will do you eggs on toast.
they have photo menu if you do not speak Spanish.

YOU HAVE TO LOOK AFTER YOURSELF.....remember this when walking H.A.L.T..and try to avoid two of these things together.Hungry.angry.lonely and tired....eat food with protein for breakfast and within 20 minutes of stopping walking for the day......this helps also to repair muscles etc ........

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Nothing like a can of tuna, or a chunk of jamon or chorizo to carry in your pocket for a snack. There is no doubt veggies are more difficult to get in bars and restaurants other the ensalada mixta, and it is a whole lot of iceberg lettuce, but it's something. Then just pick up tomatoes and friends at the local grocery store. Have you tried to make a sardine sandwich? Lots of protein and healthy fats. In grocery stores, go to the meat and cheese counter and have them cut you a piece of cheese to size you want; no need to stick with packaged goods.

And apparently the gazpacho sold in individual size tetrapacks is very good amd about 1€ only.

Hi, can't help you there .
I think you have to eat and drink more.
Lots of people think that you don’t have to drink, it's just as important as to eat enough.
Wish you well, Peter.

Yours is a perfect question for any good sized town that has a Tourist Information Office, tienda de alimentos saludables or la tienda orgánica alimentos saludables is what you are looking for. Ask at a pharmacy anywhere else they always know everything!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
When I returned home, exhausted, from three Caminos, I vowed that I would solve the exhaustion problem. I come from a place where we EAT meat and use SALT, so for my most recent Camino I made a point of getting in enough meat and salt, and it was so much better.

Even though I'm not a meat-eater I had no trouble getting 'enough' nutrition, including protein--so if you do eat meat there are plenty of things to eat. Concur wholeheartedly with SeaHorse--don't eat junk for your main meals!
And in the heat you lose electrolytes, so make a point of eating salt, as long as you want it and it tastes good (a simple feedback mechanism to give you a rough idea of what the body needs). Some people even carry little packets of it to have along the way, but I just added it to food.

Hi, I cannot help with where to find protein powder, but I think that’s not the problem. You want / need some protein on the camino, so you need to adapt to Spanish ways. They eat their main meal at midday, and snack in the morning and snack in the evening. It is really difficult to get a “healthy” breakfast in Spain, and it is equally difficult to get a “healthy” supper before the albergue locks you out. You must either eat at lunchtime (between 12 and 3pm), or go to the tienda (shop) and buy a few things to put together yourself. Good luck! Jill

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
YOU HAVE TO LOOK AFTER YOURSELF.....remember this when walking H.A.L.T..and try to avoid two of these things together.Hungry.angry.lonely and tired....eat food with protein for breakfast and within 20 minutes of stopping walking for the day......this helps also to repair muscles etc ........

Thank you for this and all the other advice!

I guess that you are only eating the so called Pilgrim Menus?
Spain has such an enormous variety of incredibly great food, that it's really very difficult to fall short of nutritious food! If you are only eating the Pilgrim Menu, then try as much as possible to choose the lentil first dish and then go safely to the meat/ fish choice for seconds. Electrolytes, as mentioned by Viranani, plus eating a decent lunch, rather than a large dinner could also help!

I'm mot a super healthy eater, but I too, need to eat a certain amount of protein or feel light headed. Maybe, if you can't find protein powder, you can try boiling some eggs to carry with you. Hope this helps.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi Maritameter.

Do please let us know how you are going.....

Hopefully you are finding the Range and Quantity of foods you need.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back