• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Where to buy Scallop Shells

Jabaldo

Time of past OR future Camino
My wife and I are training to walk this September 2014
Does any one have any idea where in the USA I can get a pilgrim shell? I actually need two. If not available here in the USA any place where I can order them would be great.
Thank you

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I ordered shells for Coquilles Saint Jacques from cooking supplies section of Amazon. Came in. Four pack. A little red paint and I had one for me and three to give to others planning a walk.

Go to Michaels or any craft store, they have shell galores. I brought mine from home, I used to collect shells, I drilled a small hole with a dremel tool, put a string through it and Voila, here is your pilgrims shell. Buen Camino!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The shell from my first camino was used again at my second camino and will again to the third! ;-)

We took 2 small shells from a local beach which hung on our hat bands. In Santiago we bought 2 scallop shells to follow the original tradition of bringing the shell home from Santiago as proof of having been there. In the Middle Ages the shells could not be sold elsewhere - times change :). We are a litle old fashioned ;)

I just found shells on Amazon, a set of 4 for $12.00.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I was given my shell by someone in France on my first Camino. It has been on every Camino since! A word of warning for Aussies. I declare that I have shells each time I return - as much as I recognize the importance of taxes, I have no intention of making a voluntary payment because I failed to declare seafood! Forgetting is not an excuse, nor is thinking it is clean, inspector's want to be sure! Janet

I found my shells on Amazon. They are a package of 4. I only need two if anyone out there needs two shells let me know.

If you have 2 to spare my husband and will be going sept of 15. Haven't even thought that far a head, but would be great. Jackie

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I just ordered them the other day from Amazon. When they arrive I will contact you for details.

You will be ahead of us by two days. We depart Boston on September 10. We don't start our Camino until September 17. We wanted a few days to adjust to the time difference.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I embroidered a scallop shell onto my pack as an outward-bound pilgrim; brought a genuine shelly (and smelly) specimen back from Fisterra.

Santiago used a scallop shell to scoop water from the spring he struck on Alto Perdon so as to quench the thirst of a pilgrim tempted by the devil. whether he got his shell from Amazon or a local marisqeria is not recorded ;)

If you have 2 to spare my husband and will be going sept of 15. Haven't even thought that far a head, but would be great. Jackie
Jackie
I do indeed have extra shells, if you are looking for them let me know and I will send them to you. You can pay me for them along the Camino. What I mean is pass it on or as in the movie pay it forward. My wife also a Jacki (no e) and I will be starting our Camino from SJPP on September 16, 2014. Hope to meet up with you along the way.
Buen Camino
James

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
If you are starting your camino in SJPP, you can collect a shell from the pilgrims' office, for free. Mine finished the journey none the worse for wear and will be coming with me this year on the camino Portuguese. I may also take one of the shells I picked up on the beach at Finisterre.

Your local fishmonger will give them for free. Especially if you buy the actual content :). He will clean them for you. Then go home and sauté the coquilles , make a buttersauce...and dream of the Camino....

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Your local fishmonger will give them for free. Especially if you buy the actual content :). He will clean them for you. Then go home and sauté the coquilles , make a buttersauce...and dream of the Camino....
Eroski supermercado in Leon provided 2 superb shells - with contents, which unfortunately I had to discard, as no way of cooking them....but I still have the shells, to go with the permanent one tattooed on my arm.:p

Eroski supermercado in Leon provided 2 superb shells - with contents, which unfortunately I had to discard, as no way of cooking them....but I still have the shells, to go with the permanent one tattooed on my arm.:p

You could have tried making ceviche...on the other hand : who needs food poisoning on the Camino... But really when in a clean kitchen and with good quality scallops raw ones can be delicious.

Thanks for the heads up will try and take both with me, does anyone know where I can order a shell from in the UK?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thanks for the heads up will try and take both with me, does anyone know where I can order a shell from in the UK?
Here is the US you can get them from Amazon.com, I just got mine a pack of 4 per orders. You can also try a local fish store.

Most read last week in this forum

https://www.lodgify.com/blog/es/observatorio-lodgify-febrero-2024/?utm_campaign=ES%20-%20Content%20Newsletter&utm_medium=email&_hsmi=298376570&_hsenc=p2ANqtz--KQkkCIbmVh11e1l-9P2514JyKrTN8_nNki9ioi...
Have you had Communion while attending the Cruz de Ferro?
Hi there Can anyone tell me where on the Camino Frances there is a mural on a wall depicting “the three wise men”. I’ve admired it on several occasions, over the years, but I can’t remember where...
I wonder how many,if any get caught up in the idea...or ideal of the Camino To be sure it captured my imagination and reinforced by videos and pictures. I am quick to seek and find the good in...
What does the abbreviation "Rda" mean in Spanish? In context: "Calle la Rda, Villalcázar de Sirga". I have googled (of course), but I've obviously not been asking the right questions, as I've...
Hoping someone will have some new ideas for me! I always bring a box to Spain to mail to my friends in Madrid. It has for years had the following items — boxes of Vanilla Chai tea bags, Dentyne...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back