• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Where to buy secondhand or discount hiking gear in Spain?

Trekker

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2014
Hi All,
I'm planning another camino or two this year, however I'm already travelling and will arrive in Spain without a lot of the gear I would like for a camino. I'm also on a budget. Some of the things I'll be looking for are:
Sleeping bag/liner, Walking poles, Pocket knife, Dry bag/pack liner, Lightweight day bag and possibly a new pack (Osprey are my favourite). I'll also need shoes (trail runners and sandals) and socks but I'll be buying these new.

Does anyone have recommendations on where to buy either secondhand or discount hiking gear in Spain? Both in store or online (craigslist type websites, Facebook group or other options?) Or potentially a discount website that ships to Spain cheap (particularly Salomon shoes)? I'll be landing in Madrid and travelling Andalucia, before embarking on a camino (possibly Frances and Portuguese or Norte, yet to be decided).
Thanks for any advice!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Does anyone have recommendations on where to buy either secondhand or discount hiking gear in Spain? Both in store or online (craigslist type websites, Facebook group or other options?)
Click this link to bring up Craigslist pages in Spain. Look to the far right top corner. http://madrid.craigslist.es/?lang=en&cc=gb
Hope that helps!!

You'll want to make sure you have enough time to gather your equipment in advance of starting your camino. Buying used will likely be "catch as catch can" to use (what I think is) an American phrase. Because you'll be subject to whatever happens to be available at the time, which might not be what you actually want or need, you firstly need extra time to find what you want at the right price.

One thought might be to take a road trip to visit some albergues and see what makes the discard bins. Just because someone else didn't want/need it, doesn't mean it won't be something that works for you. Just let the hospitaleros know that you're a poor college student preparing to make pilgrimage (or whatever happens to be your particular story). Also, make sure to visit at times where they are less busy checking in pilgrims so as not to be a distraction (morning before closing time might be your best bet).

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
If you have no luck with the second hand stuff, how about trying Decathlon? There are some in Spain and their own brands are relatively budget-conscious.
Good luck and buen camino.

After living in Spain for a few years I noted that it is not a culture that has embraced ‘second hand’ .
You may be able to get some things from couchsurfing.com . Several years ago I saw travellers advertising gear to give away or sell cheaply there. You’ll have to be a member. Look for a group called ‘Give away things’
If you speak Spanish you could also try truekalo.com (free swap site)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
... all of the above or maybe go to one of the albergues/hostels in Santiago/Fisterra/Muxia first, pick up what you need and then begin your Camino. At least you can choose among much more walking poles than in any store I have ever seen (particularly in Roots & Boots in SdC last year ;)).

Have a great walk. Ultreia!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.
I've stopped procrastinating and done my first pack. Was a bit nervous about being under 7kg hand luggage, but on the first try I've come to 5.9kg (13 pounds). (Not counting one set walking...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.