• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Where to buy SIM card

Kaye Simpkin

Time of past OR future Camino
Portugese
Hi there, We are looking at buying a European SIM cards on our arrival in Lisbon. We need ones that will comfortably see us through 2 months in Europe, 1 of which is on the Camino. I'm not sure how much data we will need as not quite sure of availability of wifi during the day for booking hostels ahead. We will be walking the Camino Central. Any advise?? Also would it be best to purchase the cards at the airport on arrival if there is a shop? or can we easily purchase them in downtown Lisbon? Thanks Kaye

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Find an Orange shop in Lisbon, have them install it for you and test it before yo leave the shop. If you need the ability to call or message internationally make sure you tell them or you will find yourself with only Spanish service.

Last edited:
I always get a SIM card and prefer Vodaphone's services. Usually it's about 20 Euro for several gbs and is good for 30 days, so plan on getting it refreshed after that time. Make sure as @biarritzdon says that you state which countries you plan to visit. There is a new law that allows one country's data plan to work with roaming throughout the EU, however, we found that when we went to Crete after a Camino, we had to get another SIM card. If you are staying within Spain and Portugal you will be fine. There is a Vodafone and other kiosks in the Lisbon airport, all easy to find on the general exit trail from the airport. If you need voice calling to the US, make sure they know this as it may cost you extra if you want to call frequently, more than 30 minutes total. And do be sure everything works correctly before you leave the kiosk area. There are Vodafone offices in all the larger towns to recharge as needed! Buen Camino!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Orange or Vodafone? Which is more user friendly in terms of network availability, cost-benefit, etc.?

Google searches showed Vodafone is relative popular in Portugal than Spain.
Orange is a Portuguese network.

Vodafone is 20 euros for 30 days and 5GB data, etc.
https://www.vodafone.pt/en/products-services/visiting-portugal.html

Orange has a SIM card named Orange Holiday, which is also available on Amazon, eBay, etc., which seems relatively more expensive.

Orange's website is below.
https://orange.simoptions.com/

The last few years I have gotten an Orange plan that has 10GB and 80 minutes of calling it was only good within Spain and Portugal. Since I rarely used the phone and used data a lot more it was perfect for me. Cost was 20 Euros for a month. The only drawback is the limits on calls. Last year on the Norte I purchased a second month about 25 days or so into my Camino as the Camino was not going through very many larger towns, just to be safe.
I still had about 50 minutes left and almost 5gb of data.

Find an Orange shop in Lisbon, have them install it for you and test it before yo leave the shop. If you need the ability to call or message internationally make sure you tell them or you will find yourself with only Spanish service.
We are leaving from Porto on 7 August. Will the Orange or Vodaphone sims enable me to send photos on a daily basis. I will do the Finisterre, Muxia and Inglis routes after the Portuguese so need date for 42 days. Will they work to send photos to South Africa ?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I have an iPhone which is unlocked and I send pictures to the US. I have no idea about SA.

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.