• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Where to buy Swiss army knife/ multi-tool in Irun?

Alan86

Time of past OR future Camino
Norte 2019. Invierno 2022. Via de la Plata 2023
Hi All,
I will be walking the Camino del Norte in May. As I am flying in I will be unable to bring my swiss army knife and leather man with me (cannot afford a checked in bag so that option is no good). Does anyone know where I could get a decent knife or multi tool in Irun? or even san sebastian or bilboa? I am sure I could manage a few days without one but would rather have one on me as I always do when hiking or camping.

thanks in advance.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
All 3 cities have a Decathlon. I plan to buy my poles & knife in Irun. This is cheaper than checking a bag on AirFrance and means no lost luggage. Just watch your timing since Decathlon is closed on Sundays.

Hi,

I flew into San Sebastian. Stayed there for 2 days before I went to Irun to start my camino. I remember going into the Decathlon store in and I remember that they did not have Swiss Army Knives. I went to a cutlery store to buy it. It was not far from the Decathlon in San Sebastian.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
All 3 cities have a Decathlon. I plan to buy my poles & knife in Irun. This is cheaper than checking a bag on AirFrance and means no lost luggage. Just watch your timing since Decathlon is closed on Sundays.
I just posted below about the Swiss Army knife. I went to the Decathlon store in the center of San Sebastian. They did not have the knife. I bought some poles there. I remember the selection was very small. Went to a cutlery store to buy the knife. Hope this helps.

Hi Guys,

thanks for the responses. I checked out the decathlon website, what they have available is not the kind of thing I was looking for. I would like something along the lines of a victorinox huntsman or leatherman skeletool. My Spanish is very poor at the moment, though I am working on it, I just cannot seem to find any fishing/outdoors/hunting shops in the first few towns though searching online.

Armeria is the Spanish for hunting equipment shop--There is the Armeria Andueza at Gorostiaga Kalea, s/n - Ed. Paotxa - Irun - 20305 and in Saint Sebastian at the Armeria Palacios Paseo de Ubarburu, 35 BAJO 9(EDIF AYENAS, 20014 Donostia. They will likely have all the knives you could ever want.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi Guys,

thanks for the responses. I checked out the decathlon website, what they have available is not the kind of thing I was looking for. I would like something along the lines of a victorinox huntsman or leatherman skeletool. My Spanish is very poor at the moment, though I am working on it, I just cannot seem to find any fishing/outdoors/hunting shops in the first few towns though searching online.

A lot of hardware stores carry them.

Might be worth checking with airlines and/or airports what their rules are.

I forgot to pack my Swiss Army Knife into my checked baggage when I last flew out of Santiago. Having spotted it when my carry on bag was X-rayed, the security officer simply opened the knife, placed it against a measure fitted on his desk, closed it and handed it back to me.

Here in the UK we have strict knife laws and are legally only allowed to carry a folding (non locking) knife with a blade length less than 3”. The rules in SdC airport must be similar or same and although I can’t comment on other airports, it’s probably worth checking.

I just posted below about the Swiss Army knife. I went to the Decathlon store in the center of San Sebastian. They did not have the knife. I bought some poles there. I remember the selection was very small. Went to a cutlery store to buy the knife. Hope this helps.
Hi, I will be needing to purchase poles when I get to Irun, would you mind telling me what you paid for yours? Thanks in advance.

:cool:👣

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Armeria is the Spanish for hunting equipment shop--There is the Armeria Andueza at Gorostiaga Kalea, s/n - Ed. Paotxa - Irun - 20305 and in Saint Sebastian at the Armeria Palacios Paseo de Ubarburu, 35 BAJO 9(EDIF AYENAS, 20014 Donostia. They will likely have all the knives you could ever want.
My other favourite Spanish shop name is "Ferreteria", the sort of shop where you can spend a few pleasant hours "ferreting" about amongst their stock in search of the "Prize". Irun has at least three according to Mama Google but I'll not bother posting links here in case I start getting Spanish Ferreteria Adverts every time I log-in.

It's an aside but I do remember (think I remember) the Road-House/Tienda at Biskarreta on the Frances had, amongst their stock of gum-shredding bread and Leather-cured Chorizo, a fine display of Opinel Knives. In fact, after venturing to purchase one of the dried meat things I was vigorously encouraged to purchase an Opinel until I produced my own.

Hi, I will be needing to purchase poles when I get to Irun, would you mind telling me what you paid for yours? Thanks in advance.

:cool:👣
I got mine in the Decathlon in the old town in San Sebastian. The selection there was pretty weak to be honest. Not alot of choices. I think there is another one outside the city thet I believe is much larger. I didn't think the poles I bought were anything more than very ordinary but I didn't spend alot of money either. I met a young woman in Santiago who just finished the CF and was going to walk the CP so I gave them to her. This year I fly into Madrid at the end of October to do a semi Winter Camino Frances and I intend to buy my poles there. If you are arriving in a larger city and have time I would recommend buying them there. I have no idea about shops in Irun. I took the train to Irun in the late afternoon, checked into the albergue, had dinner and went to sleep. Also it was a Sunday and barely anything was open.

Hi All,
I will be walking the Camino del Norte in May. As I am flying in I will be unable to bring my swiss army knife and leather man with me (cannot afford a checked in bag so that option is no good). Does anyone know where I could get a decent knife or multi tool in Irun? or even san sebastian or bilboa? I am sure I could manage a few days without one but would rather have one on me as I always do when hiking or camping.

thanks in advance.
I found Swiss Army knives in San Sebastián at Cuchilleria Colmenero on Calle Narrika, 8. He’s been there since 1894.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi Guys,

Honestly you don't need a leatherman or a SAK. A corkscrew and a simple table knife will cover your eating and drinking needs at a fraction of the cost. If the cost of a checked bag is daunting then a quality knife which I assume you’ll have to give away on completion would be similar, no?

It’s a village to village walk in one of the most developed countries on the planet.

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! I walked the Le Puy to Roncesvalles route last spring, and now I am thinking of Arles to Compostela on the Norte in the fall. I have many questions. I have downloaded the WP Norte App. I...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.