• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Where to Find Affordable Walking Poles in France

Helen Avoca

Slow walker.
Time of past OR future Camino
Planning Camino #6 in 2024.
Good morning brains trust, from cloudy Australia.
Before heading out from Le Puy in late April (fingers crossed) I want to buy some cheap walking poles. I fly in to Paris and am there for two nights, train to Lyon, there for two nights, train to Le Puy, there for two nights.
I don’t recall seeing those cheap shops (Chino) on the Le Puy.
Can anyone make a suggestion about where I might buy them?
For background, I find the cheap ones good enough and on the plane I take carry on only.
I wish there was a service that transported abandoned (I have accidentally left behind my fair share) poles back to the start of the Chemin.
Thanking you in advance.
Helen

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Before heading out from Le Puy in late April (fingers crossed) I want to buy some cheap walking poles. I fly in to Paris and am there for two nights, train to Lyon, there for two nights, train to Le Puy, there for two nights.
For background, I find the cheap ones good enough and on the plane I take carry on only.
I wish there was a service that transported abandoned (I have accidentally left behind my fair share) poles back to the start of the Chemin.
Thanking you in advance.
Helen
How about buying them at Decathlon in either Lyon or Paris?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I am hoping to get something for around 10 euro. Am I dreaming?
Each, or for a pair?
You can look on Decathlon's website to see if they have what you are looking for. You can even see if it's in stock in a store in Paris or Lyon.

This one fits the price point

When I took the train from Paris to Le Puy, it had a short connecting layover in Lyon. My friends and I hightailed it over to the nearby Decathlon a few blocks away to purchase our cheap poles, as in Le Puy the sporting stores were farther away. We chose the next level up from the 5€. I think we paid 15€/pair.

Each, or for a pair?
You can look on Decathlon's website to see if they have what you are looking for. You can even see if it's in stock in a store in Paris or Lyon.

This one fits the price point

Perfect. Thank you very much 😊

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
G’Day Helen
Thanking you in advance.
Helen

G’Day Helen ... also from Australia [Melbourne] ... there is a Decathlon store at Le Puy if you miss out on Lyon for whatever reason ...

but is there a place in SJPdP where I can get one?
There is a very good hiking shop across the street from the Pilgrims Office in SJPdP but I don't remember if they have wooden hiking poles. I suspect this shop or the Pilgrims Office can help you find a place to get a wooden staff.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
From the cathedral in Le Puy south to the Decathlon store is a 34 minute walk according to google, but you need to walk back to the cathedral to begin the Camino, so over an hour total. The first stage is 24k to Saint-Privat-d'Allier; probably best to take a taxi if you cannot pick your poles up in Lyon.

Don't mean to hijack your thread, but on a related note I'm wondering if simple wooden staffs are easily available in SJPdP? Not something manufactured - just a wooden stick. I like the thought of using an old school walking staff, even though it won't be as light or useful as proper hiking poles. I know they can be picked up along the route, but is there a place in SJPdP where I can get one?
I bought one in St Jean in 2015 and one in 2019 I think. The hiking shop should have them, at least they had several versions of them back then. If you walk down from the pilgrim's office, the shop is located on the left, can't miss it.

I bought one in St Jean in 2015 and one in 2019 I think. The hiking shop should have them, at least they had several versions of them back then. If you walk down from the pilgrim's office, the shop is located on the left, can't miss it.
Good advice for those starting in St Jean, but the OP needs to buy poles before starting in Le Puy.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Good advice for those starting in St Jean, but the OP needs to buy poles before starting in Le Puy.
I know, but someone else (JustJack) asked for wooden staffs in St. Jean, reply #3 ;-)

Most read last week in this forum

We commenced walking the Via Podiensis on Saturday 13th April 2024. We are from Australia and find it easier to bring our stuff for the Camino in a suitcase, as we have extra clothes for before...
A special thank you to Dave Whitson for his shortcuts on the GR 65. We had a beautiful day walking by the river Lot into Cahors instead of the regular route. It takes a lot of work to create...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back