• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Where to Celebrate Pentecost on the Camino? This Sunday for those lost in the Camino Time Warp.

scruffy1

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Holy Year from Pamplona 2010, SJPP 2011, Lisbon 2012, Le Puy 2013, Vezelay (partial watch this space!) 2014; 2015 Toulouse-Puenta la Reina (Arles)
Shalom and Holiday Greetings from Jerusalem!

Today is the Jewish Festival of the Weeks - Shevuot in Hebrew - Pentecost for the rest of the Christian world. We have different beliefs, a different calendar, and a different motivation for celebrating-ours begins this evening, yours on Sunday. Saint James is of course an important figure in your celebrations which mark the Transfiguration of Jesus on Mount Tavor located here in the Jezeerel (Israel) Valley. There is a modern church on the peak of Mount Tavor sanctifying the Transfiguration, a church reached by a small narrow road which adventurous drivers can climb but not so tourist buses. Transportation up is provided in taxis by the residents from the village of Shibli–Umm al-Ghanam, an Arab settlement of Bedouins and migrant Muslims. In the apse of the church appears the figure of the Transfigured Jesus, and below Peter, John, and James but alas no keys, no eagles, no shells. I was able to find a man who could identify them, not a priest or a nun in resident, not a tour guide, but the grandfather of the man running the souvenir stand up there - a devout Muslim! Visiting the church is then a multi-cultural experience.

Where would be a good place to celebrate the Christian Pentecost on the Camino? I have never celebrated the holiday in the Christian manner and perhaps next year will be in Spain at this time.

PS Only for the curious: Hassan Saida of Shibli–Umm Al-Ghanam owns a collection of small cast lead books featuring what is popularly believed to be the first-ever portrait of Jesus. The books are thought to have been created by followers of Jesus in the first decades after his crucifixion. The books, containing cryptic messages in Hebrew and ancient Greek, have been in Saida's family since they were found by his great-grandfather.

Holiday Greetings from a not so Scruffy Scruffy, bright and shiny for the big day!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
We have been in Santiago itself for Pentecost and also in the parish church in Cangas de Onis (pilgrim route to Covadonga). Each was special in its own way.
Pentecost next year is the 24th May. I think if I was planning I would try to be in one of the larger towns to be sure of a celebration as in some small villages the Mass might be at an unexpected time.
Happy planning.

Scruffy,

Every Pentecost in the Spanish village of Almonte, Hueva, west of Seville is held a huge Romeria or pilgrimage to La Ermita del Rocío; read more about this religious celebration here. You might attend the Romeria as a side trip from the Via de la Plata camino which begins in Seville.

In France for several days at Pentecost in Nimes is held a huge Feria or bull-fighting celebration similar to the San Fermin in Pamplona during July. It, however, in Nimes is a secular event.

Margaret Meredith

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I plan on attending Mass in Roncesvalles this Sunday morning before heading to Zubiri for the night. Hopefully my prayer for a bed after leaving later than normal in the morning will be answered!

I plan on attending Mass in Roncesvalles this Sunday morning before heading to Zubiri for the night. Hopefully my prayer for a bed after leaving later than normal in the morning will be answered!
Zubiri is a bottle neck. Maybe book one of the pensions in the town to be sure?

Zubiri is a bottle neck. Maybe book one of the pensions in the town to be sure?
I hear you but I'm one of those who prefers to wing it every day. I have only booked Orrison for the first night and will put my trust in providence to help find me a bed as I walk from point A to point B.
BTW, I skipped Zubiri the last time and walked on to Larrasoana, what a horrible experience that was! Two people I'd met at Roncesvlles and I shared 2 beds and cot in the last room available in the town at a pensione which cost us 60 euros for the night and we shared a bath with 8 other people. Never again will I stop there, he says!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back