• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Where To Collect Passport In Madrid?

SitaClaire

Time of past OR future Camino
Planning to walk the camino mid April to mid May 2017 from Madrid
Sorry if this has been asked previously but the search function seems not to be working. Where does one collect the pilgrims passport in Madrid? Is the tourist centre or whatever able to assist with information regarding the route?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I got one in February from the Church of Santiago, a few minutes walk west of the Sol metro station:
http://www.santiagoysanjuan.org/index.php/credenciales/
I also got mine from the Church of St James and St John. I asked at the tourist office in the Plaza Mayor, where they speak good English, and they gave me a map of the city, and directions on how to find the church. It is a very attractive credential. We found the priest in an office on the left front interior, and there is a donation box on a wall of the church so you can make a payment.

Alan

Be brave. Life is joyous.

I also got mine from the Church of St James and St John. I asked at the tourist office in the Plaza Mayor, where they speak good English, and they gave me a map of the city, and directions on how to find the church. It is a very attractive credential. We found the priest in an office on the left front interior, and there is a donation box on a wall of the church so you can make a payment.

Alan

Thanks Alan. I'll be arriving the evening before Good Friday, so I guess it's possible that the tourist offices will be closed? Is it likely that the church would still be issuing the passport? I'm not able to find it on Google Maps.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I got one in February from the Church of Santiago, a few minutes walk west of the Sol metro station:
http://www.santiagoysanjuan.org/index.php/credenciales/

Great thanks! The website seems to indicate that they are available to provide the credencial even during services, so hopefully Good Friday will not deter them... and I can start right from there, wonderful :) Is the blessing a necessary part of the pilgrimage? I'd love to receive it but as my time is limited I don't want to get stuck waiting for the allotted time...

Hola - you'll find all of the information you need in the guide published by the CSJ:

https://www.csj.org.uk/product/pilgrim-guide-camino-de-madrid/

and on Kindle:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XT45ZWJ/?tag=casaivar02-20

Credencials/Pilgrim Passports are available right in the centre at either the Church of Santiago y S. Juan Bautista
in the Calle de Santiago, 24, 28013 Madrid or at the Archdiocese Offices which are between the cathedral and the Royal Palace - impossible to miss.

Thanks Johnnie :) Is it absolutely necessary to have one of these guides? Is there only one or are there different versions available?

JW do you think I will be able to pick up a credencial from the Church of St James and St John on Easter Sunday?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Is the blessing a necessary part of the pilgrimage? I'd love to receive it but as my time is limited I don't want to get stuck waiting for the allotted time...

There was no service in progress when I visited. In and out inside 5 minutes with a very brief conversation with the priest who gave me my credencial.

Thanks Alan. I'll be arriving the evening before Good Friday, so I guess it's possible that the tourist offices will be closed? Is it likely that the church would still be issuing the passport? I'm not able to find it on Google Maps.
I have used the anglicised version of the churches name - the Spanish name is as JW has in his post. That might help with google maps.

If there is a service on, you may have to wait for it to be finished before the priest is available to supply you with your credential.

Alan

Last edited:
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Buen camino, Sharon.

Alan

Thanks Alan. Will you be on the Camino this year?
Despite many trips to Spain I have never walked the Frances from St Jean, so this year me and my VERY suspect achilles tendon will see if we can make it. Leaving St Jean April 30th, and into SdC around June 3rd.

Will you walk from Madrid to SdC?

Alan

Despite many trips to Spain I have never walked the Frances from St Jean, so this year me and my VERY suspect achilles tendon will see if we can make it. Leaving St Jean April 30th, and into SdC around June 3rd.

Will you walk from Madrid to SdC?

Alan

Alan I'm walking from Madrid to Leon to Oviedo then the Primitivo and Ingles. I start on 17th April. Buen Camino

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi everybody, Which is the best way by foot : Uclès to Madrid or Madrid to Uclès (in july !)? And where find informations about accomodation ? Thank you

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.