• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Where to cross for Fernanda from Litoral- (Porto start)

ConnieJ

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances, Camino Portugues
Litoral to Central for Casa de Fernanda- Allowing 3 full walking days and night 4 at Fernanda's. My question is; Do I cross over at Vile de Conde, Agucadoura or Vila Cha? I'm finding this so confusing. Wanting Litoral and Spiritual Variente but have Fernanda's booked for the 4th night. Just want the easiest, way marked and lovely scenery. We don't want to go more than 12-15 miles per day.

Last edited:
A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
You should contact Albertinho by PM. He is friend of hers and would be able to suggest the safest route. There are several routes but if it were me I would cross over to Barcelos from Esposenda and spend the night there and walk to Fernanda's the next day.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
You should contact Albertinho by PM. He is friend of hers and would be able to suggest the safest route. There are several routes but if it were me I would cross over to Barcelos from Esposenda and spend the night there and walk to Fernanda's the next day.
Thank you!

I crossed at Vila do Conde.
Sure you don't mean Viana do Castelo? Vila do Conde is hardly one stage out of Porto. Viana do Castelo is a wonderful place for a day of R and R and sightseeing.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I'm not saying this is the "best" way, but this was our way, and we loved it: Porto - Matosinhos - Vila do Conde - Franqueira (another treat!) - Casa Fernanda (an absolute highlight!). We also walked the Variente Espiritual, and the Ruta de la Piedra y el Agua was the prettiest part of any Camino we've walked (despite the rain that morning). Buen Camino!

I'm not saying this is the "best" way, but this was our way, and we loved it: Porto - Matosinhos - Vila do Conde - Franqueira (another treat!) - Casa Fernanda (an absolute highlight!). We also walked the Variente Espiritual, and the Ruta de la Piedra y el Agua was the prettiest part of any Camino we've walked (despite the rain that morning). Buen Camino!
May I ask where you stayed in Franqueira? So your 4th night was at Fernanda's correct? Thats what I figured for. I want to start out slower this time. Started in Leon a few mos ago and did 20.8 miles the first day. 16 the second day.. my knees were done and I had 9 blisters!! lol

Sure you don't mean Viana do Castelo? Vila do Conde is hardly one stage out of Porto. Viana do Castelo is a wonderful place for a day of R and R and sightseeing.
Is there a marked trail between Viana do Castelo and the Central route?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
May I ask where you stayed in Franqueira? So your 4th night was at Fernanda's correct? Thats what I figured for. I want to start out slower this time. Started in Leon a few mos ago and did 20.8 miles the first day. 16 the second day.. my knees were done and I had 9 blisters!! lol
It looks like once you are on the central there is not really a way to get back to litoral without trailing backwards? Has anyone been able to get ahold of Antonio? He is not on Whatsapp and I heard he doesn't speak English well so I may need to call to reserve a night with him?

It looks like once you are on the central there is not really a way to get back to litoral without trailing backwards? Has anyone been able to get ahold of Antonio? He is not on Whatsapp and I heard he doesn't speak English well so I may need to call to reserve a night with him?
Do you mean Albertinho? He has just posted some comments on anther thread.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
We stayed at Quinta Do Convento da Franqueira. It was pricey for a Camino, but worth it. It’s an historic building, and we swam (in October…brrr…) in the pool that was once the irrigation system for the monks. Piers was a wonderful host. We were the only ones there, and he allowed us to stay just one night versus his usual two night minimum.

We started out slowly. The walk to Matosinhos was beautiful and short. That allowed us to go to the beach in the afternoon and then enjoy a wonderful seafood dinner. The next day was a good walk to Vila do Conde and we stayed at Venceslau Boutique Wine Hotel and had the best dinner of our Camino at their restaurant.

Then on to Franqueira and then Fernanda.

Whatever path you choose, enjoy!

Bob

PS - we live near the shore, so we enjoyed the two days of walking along the coast, but to us it lacked the Camino spirit since they’re tourist-oriented towns. So, we were ready to get to the interior and the village paths. But that was just us.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Good, but it is after a short section of road walking which is really scary
Oh, I think I know that section of road. The cobbled, curved road with the steep camber, no footpath and high walls on both sides? Feels like you are in an enclosed racetrack with nowhere to get out of the way, luckily it's only a few hundred metres, but more than a little unnerving.

To the OP:
If you want to follow the coast, Porto to Vila do Conde is 30km or so. A very pleasant day's walk but for many it's long way and you could always split it at Matasinhos. Onwards from Vila do Conde through Rates to Barcelos is the popular route from the coastal to central way.

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Is there a marked trail between Viana do Castelo and the Central route?
No ! Follow the road N308 to the village of Balugães and pick up the waymarkers there or walk on to signs of the road N204 direction Ponte de Lima . Turn to the left in the direction of Ponte de Lima on the N204 and after approx. one and a half km at the right side you’lo see a busstop cross the road to the busstop and there you’ll find the waymarked path and after two kms Fernanda is at the left side of he road.

Sorry, I stayed there too. It was a very interesting place
Pedra Furada is good for a coffee or a lunch and a stamp
he rents 3 rooms one diuble bed room, we stayed in once and two rooms with three single beds.
if you like jazz music, Antonio is your pal.

I also crossed from Vila do Conde after having walked the Litoral way out of Porto. There were a few signs from Vila do Conde to Pedro de Rates but had to get redirected by some kind locals too. Lovely donativo church-run place to stay at Rates..

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I also crossed from Vila do Conde after having walked the Litoral way out of Porto. There were a few signs from Vila do Conde to Pedro de Rates but had to get redirected by some kind locals too. Lovely donativo church-run place to stay at Rates..
with John Brierley’s guide the track from Vila do Conde to São Pedro de Rates was easily to find

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Do you have a route for this crossing from Esposende to Barcelos? Or gpx track? It would be my choice to cross here but isnt shown in any guide. Thanks

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi I want to cross from.coadt to central either at Esposende to Barcelos or Viana do Castelo to Ponte de Lima. Do you have any further information or gpx tracks for those routes? Much appreciated

Hi I want to cross from.coadt to central either at Esposende to Barcelos or Viana do Castelo to Ponte de Lima. Do you have any further information or gpx tracks for those routes? Much appreciated
The KML file I have for maps.me for "all" routes in Portugal doesn't have a crossing in those areas.

Screenshot_20220816-085105.png

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi everyone, I went on a short coastal Camino Portugues in March with my 11 year old son and wanted to share some of my experiences here. We walked a very small part of the Camino. We started...
Hi fellow pilgrims! I have walked 1450km over several years on the Camino Frances alone, without planning much. This year is going to be very different! I have convinced my mom to come with me. I...
Hi, arrived in Porto today starting the coastal camino on Friday! I just found out the hostel I am staying at does not allow pack pick up. Im walking to vila cha 1st day and physically I cannot...
So I’d been given to understand in my pre-Camino research that one could just ask for a copo de agua (glass of water) which is basically tap water on the house. Since arriving in Portugal a few...
I’m seeing a lot of discussion on FB about the route out of Vigo. People are recommending taking a new bike path that starts at the Ascensor Halo and ends at Chapela because the official route is...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back