• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Where to Find Walking Poles in Leon - Borrowing Options

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (2022)
I'm joining a group aiming to walk Leon to Santiago in June. Everyone is taking carry-on luggage so I can't take my poles. I already own two sets because I bought a pair in Decathlon Porto for exactly the same reason on my first Camino. I don't really want to buy another set. But what are the chances of picking up some left behind or donated by a generous peregrino? I'd be happy to make a donation and also to leave them behind in Santiago for another needy pilgrim. This conundrum is already taking up far too much headspace for my liking. Maybe I should just adopt my usual 'the Camino will provide' stance.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
It is Easyjet and as far as I know you can't have walking poles in carry on packs. I've flown with Ryanair and you definitely couldn't with them.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
For what it’s worth, on one of our arrivals into SdC, our pole bag did not arrive with us. Our dilemma was that we were immediately leaving for Ferrol that afternoon so we could begin the Inglés the next morning. A very nice lady in the baggage carrousel area said, of course in Spanish, “Follow me!” She took us to a room for unclaimed luggage and pointed to a pile of hiking poles and told us to help ourselves. Thus, although not the ones we started with, with left the airport with poles. The Camino does provide just at the right times!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
You may find a set of abandoned/forgotten/donated poles at one of the Albergues in Leon or a little way down the road. You may not.
If you really are dependent on poles then it’s going to be another lucky day for Decathlon.
You have the option of looking both airport security and gate staff straight in the eye and telling them that they are “walking aids” (no lie there) and shrugging off the double cost if that pair gets confiscated and you end up in Decathalon anyway.
Or you could just check them. You’ll have to do that from Santiago any which ways.
Buen Camino

Bite the bullet and buy another pair. Practicality has to win out in the end. The chances of anyone actually in Santiago wanting a donated set of poles are very very small indeed and the numbers of abandoned poles thereabouts probably very high. Regrettably decathlon-quality poles are a consumable not an investment.

I checked my poles in a small duffel that I made because I could not find the right sized bag. I also packed a few things that I knew I could replace if they did not make it but lightened my carry on load. They made it without issue and I did not have a long wait for them to show up in baggage claim. I flew into madrid. I really wanted the poles I trained with so it worked out well for me. I say just check them and add replaceable things to make your other load lighter.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I checked my poles in a small duffel that I made because I could not find the right sized bag. I also packed a few things that I knew I could replace if they did not make it but lightened my carry on load. They made it without issue and I did not have a long wait for them to show up in baggage claim. I flew into madrid. I really wanted the poles I trained with so it worked out well for me. I say just check them and add replaceable things to make your other load lighter.
Thank you. Normally I would do this but the problem is that I am accompanying a group of young people. The group organiser wants us to leave the airport smartish to catch the train to Leon. They say I can check in the poles if I want to. But I don't want to hold everyone up waiting for baggage reclaim if I can find an alternative.

If only there was a way to distribute all of the poles abandoned in SdC to some of the more popular starting points. Humm, maybe a new career for me.

frm
If someone were to do this there would probably be some pushback from the small businesses in those towns who sell supplies to pilgrims.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I'm joining a group aiming to walk Leon to Santiago in June. Everyone is taking carry-on luggage so I can't take my poles. I already own two sets because I bought a pair in Decathlon Porto for exactly the same reason on my first Camino. I don't really want to buy another set. But what are the chances of picking up some left behind or donated by a generous peregrino? I'd be happy to make a donation and also to leave them behind in Santiago for another needy pilgrim. This conundrum is already taking up far too much headspace for my liking. Maybe I should just adopt my usual 'the Camino will provide' stance.
Walk without poles!! I'm from the West Coast of Canada in my mid 60s and I've hiked and mountain climbed all my life. It's only in the last few years that I've noticed that everyone believes they needs poles!!!
Why? I know everyone has their reasons (there are exceptions) but let's be realistic. It's just a passing fad and one more consumer item that you don't need!!!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Walking poles are a fad? Sure, cause all the cool pilgrims have them.
Why are they necessary? With one rare exception the thousands of individuals I have hiked with, over the years, have never used them!! (I used to lead trips)

I am old. I use them all the time on hills, both directions, which helps my knees a lot and they keep my hands from swelling up when walking on flat ground.

I am old. I use them all the time on hills, both directions, which helps my knees a lot and they keep my hands from swelling up when walking on flat ground.
I understand and that's most appropriate but I believe you understand what I mean. On the Camino it appears that most walkers believe they are a piece of essential equipment that they must have and that's not the case.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I believe we have wandered from the thread of this post which is about the availability of poles in Leon. I don’t understand why people feel the need to comment on whether poles are needed on the Camino. These comments are nothing to do with the original post and can make people feel judged.
Let's look outside the box!! LongRun64 wants to know how he can acquire another set of poles and everyone on this post is assuming that poles are needed. That's fair, however, I'm questioning that assumption and I believe that is also appropriate. Perhaps LongRun64 might want to put some thought into the necessity of needing poles to walk. As I stated earlier I've hiked, walked and climbed with thousands of individuals. Amongst all those people I can sincerely state that only one individual needed to use poles!!

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
León is about halfway across the CF and at the edge of the meseta so it makes a good stopping point for those with limited walking time. Email some albergues to see if they are good possiblities for sticks left behind.
Best advice on the thread. Check gronze.com for emails and start emailing. I'll bet you dollars to donuts you'll find a pair in a free box somewhere in Leon.

Perhaps LongRun64 might want to put some thought into the necessity of needing poles to walk.
It is obvious from his original post that he has done at least one previous Camino. Further on he says he wouldn’t dream of going poleless. I am therefore assuming this decision was based on experience and not because someone told him he should.

Thanks for all the feedback. Contacting some albergues is a great idea. It is interesting that I've come across as male. It's also interesting that the post has prompted discussion on the necessity of walking poles. As we have seen, this is a purely personal choice. Having walked the Camino Frances last year I'm aware of what lies ahead for me. I don't want to be without poles. But I don't want to inconvenience the group I am joining. I also don't want to buy another set of poles which I will need to leave behind thus contributing ultimately to more landfill.
So I will act on the idea of contacting albergues.
Many thanks all.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thanks for all the feedback. Contacting some albergues is a great idea. It is interesting that I've come across as male. It's also interesting that the post has prompted discussion on the necessity of walking poles. As we have seen, this is a purely personal choice. Having walked the Camino Frances last year I'm aware of what lies ahead for me. I don't want to be without poles. But I don't want to inconvenience the group I am joining. I also don't want to buy another set of poles which I will need to leave behind thus contributing ultimately to more landfill.
So I will act on the idea of contacting albergues.
Many thanks all.
I guess this shows that using the pronoun 'their' can be of benefit!

Walk without poles!! I'm from the West Coast of Canada in my mid 60s and I've hiked and mountain climbed all my life. It's only in the last few years that I've noticed that everyone believes they needs poles!!!
Why? I know everyone has their reasons (there are exceptions) but let's be realistic. It's just a passing fad and one more consumer item that you don't need!!!
That wasn't my experience. I resisted getting poles mightily. I started my Camino without issues. It was only when my knees were shot, and heavy doses of ibuprofen and knee braces and eventually a hiking staff were not enough that I eventually succumbed and bought poles. I couldn't have completed my Camino without them. Certainly some don't need poles. But others find that they do. It isn't wise to generalize for others.

I won't say, based on my experience, everyone (or this person) needs them. Clearly many don't. But I wouldn't assume they are not needed either.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi there, I’m starting my first Camino Frances early May, and I don’t know whether I need hiking poles or not? I’m 26 years old, relatively fit and don’t have any injuries (yet!) I used poles for...
First Camino and walking with my wife. Decision time. Fleece and Puffer. I think one only but weather looks changeable at the moment. Trying to keep under 7kgs! Looking forward to a experience of...
Hi. Shawn and Lainey are a lovely couple - so positive! - who now live in Galicia and have a Youtube presence "Days we Spend" with plenty of excellent and informative Camino videos - they are...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
I am finally embarking on my first camino later this year. I will be taking my Canon R6 camera with me. For others that have taken DLSR’s or mirrorless cameras, what lens or lenses did you find...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.