• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Where to fly into from the states?

drpeterv

Hi,

I am trying to put a Camino trip together for the month of August/September, and despite all the warnings otherwise (heat, crowds), I still want to do it!

My question is this: What is the best place to fly into from the US (taking into account a budget, and accessibility to Roncall.)? I have found a pretty cheap flight to Paris, but I'm not sure if that is a good place to fly into. I have also found flights to Madrid, but have heard that it is difficult to get to the start of the walk from there.

Thanks for the advice!

DPV

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Have you looked at Ryan Air or Easy Jet from London or Paris? The earlier out that you book flights on those airlines, the cheaper the fare. If you do a search, you might find some hints on how to get to Roncesvalles from Madrid. My pilgrimage won't be until next May, but I'm already planning to fly into London, then take Ryan Air to Biarritz, and the train to SJPdP. Perhaps the same would work for you & you could taxi or take the bus from SJPdP to Roncevalles after getting your credential & first sello there.

Buen Camino!
dg

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Paris

If you do fly into Paris, we got a pretty easy train ride from Paris to Bayonne. Only problem is it gets into Bayonne around 8:30 pm and the last train to SJPP leaves a few minutes earlier so we have to spend the night there in Bayonne. Then we catch an early train next morning to SJPP.

There is a special fare going on right now and you can book for half price from Paris to Bayonne. I think it was around $165 per person.

hi peter

you don't say where you're flying from, but i've done san francisco to dulles to madrid and san francisco to london to madrid and i'd say don't don't don't fly thru london. getting from one airport to the other is a pain in the patootie and expensive too.

from the airport in madrid it's a piece of cake--you take the metro to the train station, the train to pamplona, and the bus to roncesvalles. you may have to spend a night in pamplona to get the times to work out right, but where's the problem with that? pamplona's an amazing city and well worth an overnight stay.

lonely planet's guide to spain used to have good directions for getting to roncesvalles and it probably still does but you should be able to find all the information you need right here on this website.

it may look like it's cheaper to fly thru london. resist the temptation! i've had good luck getting bucket shop tickets thru prtravelinc.com 866-325-5500

why paris??
why not toulose about the same price from americA!!(airfare)
and cheaper toulouse-sjpdp by train!!
then from paris!! :wink:

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
i got a tickets from britair for 689 return for next may!!(wit tax and in canadian $$)
and it multi-destinations
to get there
montreal(canada)-london
london-toulouse

to come back(60day later)
amsterdam-london
london-montreal

im doin the route from sjpdp-santiago
then see friends and family in holland :wink:
from santiago im taking train to madrid then madrid-paris-amsterdam(about 1 day and 200euros to get there) :wink:

i dream about this each day cant wait any longer :?
(i hope to win the loto each night so i can get this trp over wit NOW ) :?

peace

Why Paris

santos said:
why paris??
why not toulose about the same price from americA!!(airfare)
and cheaper toulouse-sjpdp by train!!
then from paris!! :wink:

Well, for us, we will be in Amsterdam and then will be in Paris. So we're leaving for the Camino from Paris. But there are as many places to begin from as there are pilgrims, es verdad?

santos said:
from santiago im taking train to madrid then madrid-paris-amsterdam(about 1 day and 200euros to get there) :wink:

i dream about this each day cant wait any longer :?
(i hope to win the loto each night so i can get this trp over wit NOW ) :?

peace

We just got tickets yesterday from Amsterdam to Bayonne (stopping in Paris) for only $165. They're having a big sale right now!

Also... don't wait to win the lotto! We are carrying the prayers of our friends and relatives in the traditional way... I've raised $1200 towards my trip so far... actually more.. my flight to Europe round trip ticket was donated as well. Ask... and you shall receive!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thanks for the advice

I've booked my flight and I am flying into bordeaux. A little closer than paris, which will hopefully make the train ticket a bit cheaper. Price was about the same to fly into each location, so I figured what the heck. Hope to see some of you on the trail!

Flights from the west coast to the US are probably cheapest into Paris. We stayed a night in Paris and then took a morning train to Bayonne and then the short train to St Jean. That gets you in early afternoon. Enough to book in a bed, have a glass of wine, a meal and a good sleep. Take more water than a normal camino day to Roncesvalles. It is one of the few days where you'll need it.

Aug/Sept shouldn't be too bad heat-wise. The meseta will be a week or two away depending on your pace and the temperature should drop to tolerable. Galicia might actually be a bit cool so take an extra layer/pants, or better yet buy just before arriving into the mountains. You can mail extra hot weather clothing to yourself at the end for just a few euros so don't be afraid to go light!

buen camino amigo!

doog

Sooo..

So are you saying I should mail things like my primaloft jacket or wool hat/gloves to myself?

When? To where and from where? I'm a little confused.[/quote]

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Sorry for the confusion. I was suggesting that you could mail what you find that you do not need to yourself in Santiago and pick it up when done. I bought a pair of hiking pants just before hitting the last week of cooler mountain weather and mailed some extra stuff to the end. It is very cheap to mail a box once in Spain.

And as my wife and I were travelling for a couple of weeks after finishing the Camino we mailed a few items of clothing which we would need afterwards but not during.

Also... don't wait to win the lotto! We are carrying the prayers of our friends and relatives in the traditional way... I've raised $1200 towards my trip so far... actually more.. my flight to Europe round trip ticket was donated as well. Ask... and you shall receive![/quote]
iv got the money ! if i realy wanted to leave now!! :lol:
winning the loto would just make it easyer to leave work for 6-7 weeks!! :wink:
money dont grow like grass!! :cry:

1200 is all you need?
if so im rich!! :wink:
iv got over 5000 euro so far!! :D

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
iv been buying euros each months for the past 2 1/2 years

last time i was in europe (summer 2003) i miss out on alot cuz i only had 500eu for 14 days :?
and i told my self i would go back and not have the same problem again!!
and about 1 year ago i started hearing ppl talking about Pilgimages in europe!!
at first did know much but now that i know it so cheap ill have the fun of my life met new ppl from around the world

i wish i could take 5 months but the max in can take off work is 7 weeks :?
and im kinda cunfused of where to go or start
i know im stating in toulouse thats where i land!<id like to see lourd
was thinking of walking lourd to st-jean-pied-de-porc(about 6 day walk)
and see from there
or take train from toulouse to stjpdp
and start from there!!
but the problem is iv only got 5 week in france-spain cuz iv got to be in holland for week 6-7 :?:
so i dont know where to start!!
like i know my self ill just get lost once in toulouse and end up either rome or montreux(swiiss) :wink: or maybe warsaw !!

so if any of you ppl could help me make out my mind plz do so!!

and srry for the fu.. up english

vive les francais :p

Most read last week in this forum

Last year made the mistake of travelling after the 500k walk to Porto and Barcelona and Cadaqués then the UK.(All amazing) but I was too tired to make the most of it. So this year I’m lucky...
I trying to purchase my one way ticket from Santiago de Compostela to Porto.I cannot find any info on bringing my luggage with me( a small carry on and a knapsack) anyone taken this bus? Can I...
Trying to determine best way from Madrid airport to Leon? Thank you
Beginning March 1, my husband and I walked from Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Astorga on the CF. Prior to our trip, I had contracted with Jacotrans to move our bags for 21 straight days...
Just saw a press release from Correos announcing that they will be offering a left luggage service at all of their 2,000+ offices throughout Spain. For up to 15 days at a time...
Hi All, I have booked a walking week away from home arriving in Porto on 9th May at 19.10 (all being well). My initial intention was travel to Vigo by train and walk to Santiago, returning to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back