• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

where to fly into? how to get to SJPDP?

rose122122

I am just wondering where is the cheapest place to fly into is. I am starting in SJPDP and I need a cheap flight to biarritz? maybe? also what is the best and cheapest way to get to SJPDP?? thanks!
buen camino,
Emma

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
rose122122 said:
I am just wondering where is the cheapest place to fly into is. I am starting in SJPDP and I need a cheap flight to biarritz? maybe? also what is the best and cheapest way to get to SJPDP?? thanks!
buen camino,
Emma
Where from? I have experience getting to Europe from Australia, but if you are coming from somewhere else, that might not be of much use.

Regards,

rose122122 said:
buen camino,
Emma

We found it inexpensive flying Ryanair from Stansted airport London to Biarritz. If you book well in advance it's crazy cheap

Just be sure to stick to their rules and you should be fine

Ian

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Depends how you're flying to Europe. If you're going via London, Ryanair from Stansted to Biarritz is the go. You can book online. There is a bus from Biarritz airport to Bayonne and then a train from Bayonne to SJPDP.

From Australia, I prefer to fly into Paris then train to Bayonne, train to SJPDP.

What are your dates for traveling to SJPdP?

The TER train line 62 connecting Bayonne to SJPdP is presently undergoing work.

Through 7 July 2012 the basic departure schedule leaves Bayonne at the following times.
Bayonne/Baiona 07.48/ 08.19/ 11.51/ 15.05/ 18.10/ 21.09
All trains do NOT go every day.

Up to date TER line 62 information can be found at this link
http://telechargement.ter-sncf.com/Imag ... -67795.pdf

Bon Voyage and Buen Camino!

Margaret

I am flying into Paris CDG and flying to Biarritz with Easyjet. Very good price.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I am new to this blog and also would like to know what is the best way to get to SJPdP from California,US. I plan to start the Camino at the end of May, 2013.
Thanks in advance.

Hi bdovan,

There are many ways you could possibly achieve this however in short, you can approach St Jean from either Pamplona (Spain) or Biarritz/Bayonne (France).

To get to Pamplona typically you fly to Madrid or Barcelona first then fly or train to Pamplona. You then Bus /Taxi to St Jean.

Possibly the better option for you is to fly via London or Paris. To get to Biarritz you can fly in from London Sanstead. You will likely land at London Heathrow from the US, depending on who you are flying with and so you just get an inter airport shuttle. Alternatively you fly into Paris then fly down to Biarritz or train to Bayonne. You then taxi/bus/train to St Jean. Biarritz and Bayonne merge into each other and while locals may disagree, for planning purposes you can treat them as effectively the same location.

In the end it will depend on your schedule and budget and what your preferences are.

Make sure you post back and let us know what you decide to do.

Regards,

Jason.

Returned from our trip the beginning of October and travel went really easy. We flew from the US into Paris, turned right out of customs and followed the signs to the train station below CDG. The escalators took us to the TGV platform where we used our prepurchased tickets (Raileurope.com) to Bordeaux (I believe around 10 am). We had an hour or two in Bordeaux so walked to the cathedral and saw the first St. James in his chapel, had a de-jetlag coffee and got back on the regional train to Bayonne. At Bayonne, we followed the crowd to the St. Jean Pied de Port train.

One word of caution: we didn't buy the last ticket from home so knew we had to get the Bayonne-St Jean ticket. We simply went to the kiosk in Paris and purchased it before leaving the station. There was a tight connection from Bayonne to St Jean so it took the stress off to do it ahead of time.

Returning back to the states, we flew from Santiago de Compostela to Madrid on Ryan Air (no problems despite all the horror stories) and on to Dublin. We laid over in Dublin for a day and had lots of fun seeing the city, especially the Guiness factory!

There was an added advantage of clearing US customs in Dublin before leaving Europe. When arriving in Washington Dulles for a connecting flight, we could just go to the gate without the hassle of clearing customs.

Have lots of fun, we can't wait to do it again!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
jastrace said:
Hi bdovan,

There are many ways you could possibly achieve this however in short, you can approach St Jean from either Pamplona (Spain) or Biarritz/Bayonne (France).

To get to Pamplona typically you fly to Madrid or Barcelona first then fly or train to Pamplona. You then Bus /Taxi to St Jean.

Make sure you post back and let us know what you decide to do.

Jason,

I am sorry to not acknowledge your advice sooner. I bought my ticket from California to Madrid round trip.
I will get to Pamplona and hoping to start at SJPP on May 30 or 31. That's another adventure it seems.
I've been reading so many forum entries about everything connected to the camino, it has been daunting, but exciting.

Class of 2013,
Can't wait to be una peregrina!
Kindest regards,
~Bic

Hiya Bic,

no problems. Hope you are enjoying exploring all the wonderful information that is out there about the Camino.

Only a few months now! Have a great time.

Jason.

bdovan said:
I am new to this blog and also would like to know what is the best way to get to SJPdP from California,US. I plan to start the Camino at the end of May, 2013.
Thanks in advance.

I'm flying in to Madrid from Seattle via NYC mid May. This is my 2nd Camino and I'll probably take a train to Pamplona and start from there. Buen Camino, hope to see ya there!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
This has been really helpful. I am gathering that if I take the 6.07 pm train from Bayonne to StJPdP that I can purchase the train ticket there and then in Bayonne. That is, I do not need to prebook. I will be arriving in Bayonne on the 3.30 pm train in March so I assume there should be plenty of time to buy the ticket and not too many people to compete with. Have I assumed incorrectly?
Alternatively, perhaps there is a bus that leaves earlier than the later train. Would I need to travel far to get to the bus terminal? Thanks for your help.

Free explorer said:
This has been really helpful. I am gathering that if I take the 6.07 pm train from Bayonne to StJPdP that I can purchase the train ticket there and then in Bayonne. That is, I do not need to prebook. I will be arriving in Bayonne on the 3.30 pm train in March so I assume there should be plenty of time to buy the ticket and not too many people to compete with. Have I assumed incorrectly?
Alternatively, perhaps there is a bus that leaves earlier than the later train. Would I need to travel far to get to the bus terminal? Thanks for your help.

Free explorer,

Yes, you are correct. You can purchase your TER line 62 train ticket to SJPdP in Bayonne. You can NOT pre-book this line. There are NO buses that regularly go from Bayonne to SJPdP. There is only one scheduled bus which replaces the train at 21.10. The bus runs on Sundays and holidays; it replaces the scheduled train at that time which runs during week days. These times are valid until until July 6, 1013.

Bon Voyage and Buen Camino,

Margaret Meredith

PS

Here is the CURRENT line 62 TER timetable for trains from Bayonne to SJPdP from February 1, 2013 until July 6, 1013 >> http://telechargement.ter-sncf.com/Images/Aquitaine/Tridion/62-AFFICHE-2013_tcm-11-42307.pdf.

Here is the translation

From 1 February to 6 Juillet/July 2013 the TER line 62 departure schedule leaves Bayonne at the following times.

07.14/ arrives 8.33/ Lundi, NON fetes/Monday, NOT holidays/Circule aussi le 2 avril et le 21 mai/also 2 April and 21 May

07.45/arrives 9.04/ Mardi a Vendredi/Tuesday thru Sunday, and holidays/Ne circule pas le 2 avril et le 21 mai/ NOT 2 April or 21 May/aussi le 29 avril et le 20 mai/ also 29 April and 20 May

10.48/arrives 12.07/Lundi a Samedi/Monday thru Saturday/pas les jours fériés/NOT holidays

14.55/arrives16.14/.Tous les jours et Fêtes,/Everyday and holidays

18.07/arrives 19.33/Lundi a Samedi,Monday thru Saturday, NOT holidays

21.10/arrives 22.29/Vendredi/Friday/pas les jours fériés/NOT holidays

21.10/arrives 22.28/Dimance et Fêtes, in autocar/Sunday and holidays /in bus/

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi I have a question regarding regulations in French airports on what is allowed to bring as carry on luggage. I have a small lightweight Victorinox SD multitool including a small knife that is...
Hi, we had booked a camino for last September and had to reschedule for this early June. I previously had booked a train from Santiago to Porto to start travel back for our flight home from...
I read that municipal auberges will not accept luggage transferred by courier. Is this correct, if so is there a way around this? I prefer to stay at municipal auberges and carry my backpack since...
Hello, we are a family of 5 travelling from Australia on a 7 week trip of Europe. We are walking the first few stages of CF from SJPdP to Pamplona only. I've been searching the threads for info...
I’m planning to send to Santiago a smaller bag with things I need for the flight, extra days pre/post Camino, and whatever else I decide that I won’t need. I could send it from Roncesvalles...
I am having difficulty finding out how to get to Belorado from Madrid airport. Arriving 6/1 at about 8 a.m. at airport. After customs and baggage claim, it should be about 9:30 a.m. Willing to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back