• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Where to fly into when starting VdlP in A Gudina or Ourense

Momwiz

Time of past OR future Camino
Portuguese 2019
I’m beginning my Via de la Plata pilgrimage in the fall at either Gudina or Ourense. Originally I thought I would fly into Madrid but I’m wondering if I should fly into Porto, Portugal instead since it seems a little closer to my starting point. Recommendations?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I’m beginning my Via de la Plata pilgrimage in the fall at either Gudina or Ourense. Originally I thought I would fly into Madrid but I’m wondering if I should fly into Porto, Portugal instead since it seems a little closer to my starting point. Recommendations?

Rometorio gives almost the exact traveltime from Porto and Madrid to Ourense.

I would prefer flying into Madrid. That way you do not have to bother travelling between two different countries ( seems easier in these Covidtimes with various paperwork restrictions ).

Vigo is the airport of choice for those that live in that part of Galicia. Failing that, they choose SdC. Then Porto. There are trains between SdC, Vigo, A Guidina and Ourense.

Have family in the Vigo area and their choice of airport is usually based on whether there is a direct flight as they prefer not to transit through Madrid.

If you do come into Porto the train journey is said to be spectacular (left side going north). There is also a rail connection between Madrid and A Guidina/Ourense.

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

I have been incredibly inspired by so many stories of loss, pain, diagnosis, or other stories that tug at my heart strings, but one pilgrim, since lost in the threads here, was an 83 year old man...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back