• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Where to from Bayonne or Biarritz ?

annie.perso

Time of past OR future Camino
Will walk the camino francés in October 2018 and beginning of November
J'ai besoin d'info. Je vais quitter Genève à la toute fin septembre pour marcher le Francés, mais deux choses : je ne veux pas commencer à SJPDP mais plutôt faire deux ou trois jours de marche avant, et j'aimerais passer par Ostabat, qui est l'étape juste avant SJPDP sur la Voie de Tours. Donc, si j'atterris à Biarritz, disons, y a-t-il une façon pour moi de marcher une ou deux étapes avant Ostabat ? Genre prendre le bus de Biarritz à Ustarizt, puis à partir de là marcher jusqu'à Ostabat en passant par Combo-les-Bains ? Hélette ?. Est-ce du bitume partout ? Y a-t-il des sentiers, pistes cyclables, notamment le long de la Nive ? J'essaie de googler tout ça, mais pas évident. Si vous pouvez m'aider à me figurer un petit itinéraire, l'idée pour moi serait de marcher 1 ou 2 jours jusqu'à Ostabat, puis SJPDP et le Francés. Merci !

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Welcome, Annie!
Excusez-moi, SVP. Je comprends seulment un peu.
It's not clear: are you walking from Geneva or are you starting in Biarritz?
It sounds like the latter.
There is the Voie de NIve. Which goes from Bayonne to SJPP
Also the Camino Baztanes if you want to go direct from Bayonne to Pamplona without going anywhere near SJPP - but it does not go to Ostabat.
But you could combine a few routes to tailor-make your own path.

You can search here in the Forum for both ways, and here are links that may be helpful:
http://www.aucoeurduchemin.org/les-voies-jacquaires-dans-les-pyrenees-atlantiques/
http://www.xacobeo.fr/ZE1.11.Aqu.Nive.htm
http://vppyr.free.fr/pages_transversales/voie_nive/vnive.php?etp=accueil

Welcome, Annie!
Excusez-moi, SVP. Je comprends seulment un peu.
It's not clear: are you walking from Geneva or are you starting in Biarritz?
It sounds like the latter.
There is the Voie de NIve. Which goes from Bayonne to SJPP
Also the Camino Baztanes if you want to go direct from Bayonne to Pamplona without going anywhere near SJPP - but it does not go to Ostabat.
But you could combine a few routes to tailor-make your own path.

You can search here in the Forum for both ways, and here are links that may be helpful:
http://www.aucoeurduchemin.org/les-voies-jacquaires-dans-les-pyrenees-atlantiques/
http://www.xacobeo.fr/ZE1.11.Aqu.Nive.htm
http://vppyr.free.fr/pages_transversales/voie_nive/vnive.php?etp=accueil

Oh thanks ! Yes the latter, from Biarritz. But i don't seem to find much info about la voie de Nive. I should have written my post in English too. But merci for the link, I'll go see it !

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Si tu prend le autobus de Bayonne gare à Saint Palais (€1), tu peut commencer de marcher, avec les fleches jaune, à Ostabat le même jour.

The bus from Bayonne gare to St Palais is not daily, but the morning bus gets you there in the morning. If the weather cooperates, the walk to Ostabat is one of the most glorious on the entire route. It's well marked. From the church in St P., head towards the hills and you should find an arrow. I like to stop at Ostabat for the night and get to SJPDP the next day.

Si tu prend le autobus de Bayonne gare à Saint Palais (€1), tu peut commencer de marcher, avec les fleches jaune, à Ostabat le même jour.

The bus from Bayonne gare to St Palais is not daily, but the morning bus gets you there in the morning. If the weather cooperates, the walk to Ostabat is one of the most glorious on the entire route. It's well marked. From the church in St P., head towards the hills and you should find an arrow. I like to stop at Ostabat for the night and get to SJPDP the next day.

Yééé, merci !

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Actually, now that I think about it, the yellow arrows don't start until closer to Spain. You'll follow red and white marks.

Dear Annie. I have walked this route, it is very beautiful.

Bus 811 leaves Bayonne Gare every morning at 08.10. Timetable here. The fare is €2 regardless of distance! Get off at Etcharry La Croix at 09.27 (just beyond Etcharry village - tell the driver when you get on at Bayonne.)

From Etcharry La Croix you join the GR65 and it is a good day's walk to Ostabat (23.6k)

Bon Camino!

Dear Annie. I have walked this route, it is very beautiful.

Bus 811 leaves Bayonne Gare every morning at 08.10. Timetable here. The fare is €2 regardless of distance! Get off at Etcharry La Croix at 09.27 (just beyond Etcharry village - tell the driver when you get on at Bayonne.)

From Etcharry La Croix you join the GR65 and it is a good day's walk to Ostabat (23.6k)

Bon Camino!

Thank you so much for this precious info !!! Really. I live in Quebec, Canada, actually, but soon I do a house exchange with some nice people in Sion, Switzerland. So from August 15th to the very end of September, I'll just be in Sion and work there as I do at home (I'm a translator) and continue my training in the Alps. And then at the end of September, I'll fly south and start walking the Camino. Doing two étapes before SJPDP sounds perfect (one being Ostabat, and I'll try to figure out another one before, shorter, maybe Saint-Palais ?, but then maybe the bus doesn't go there), particularly in view of the fact that I would like to have a couple of days left once in Santiego (or Finisterre, I'll see) to spend them in Porto, to just stand still, before going back to Genève and from there to Quebec and my everyday life. Merci again !

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The 811 bus calls at Saint-Palais before it gets to Etcharry. From Saint-Palais the GR654 Ouest will also take you, by a shorter route, (or the D302, which is even shorter) to Ostabat via Hiriburua, where it joins the GR65 at la stèle de Gibraltar

From Ostabat to SJPdP is an easy day's walk (22.3k) but there are places to stay in between.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The 811 bus calls at Saint-Palais before it gets to Etcharry. From Saint-Palais the GR654 Ouest will also take you, by a shorter route, (or the D302, which is even shorter) to Ostabat via Hiriburua, where it joins the GR65 at la stèle de Gibraltar

From Ostabat to SJPdP is an easy day's walk (22.3k) but there are places to stay in between.

Wow. You are all so kind ! Merci beaucoup !

Update - the 811 no longer commences at Bayonne Gare, but from Place des Basques across the river. It does not seem to call at Bayonne Gare. (Which is where the cheap hotels are!)

Update - the 811 no longer commences at Bayonne Gare, but from Place des Basques across the river. It does not seem to call at Bayonne Gare. (Which is where the cheap hotels are!)

Merci so much for the precision !

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back