• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Where to get a port-a-cath flushed?

Long Legs

Time of past OR future Camino
Portuguese
Hi all

My wife and I will be traveling in Europe for a few months in 2020, including doing the Portuguese Camino in June.
I have a port-a-cath which I will need to get flushed in late June - About the time we plan to finish the walk in Santiago. From there we will be heading back to Porto by train or bus.

Can anyone suggest a cancer clinic or hospital near Santiago or en-route to Porto where I could get this done?
I'll be paying out of pocket (I'm Australian so don't have an EU health insurance card and travel insurance won't pay for it) so hope I can get it done at a reasonable cost.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
We have used both the hospital in Lugo and the one in Santiago successfully (but for a different issue) - perhaps you could contact them directly to ask if they do that procedure. Both were most professional in their service. All the best.
@natefaith might also be able to help

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
@Kiwi-family thanks for that info. Which hospital did you go to in Santiago? I have found a few, including the Hospital de Conxo, Sanatorio Nuestra Señora de la Esperanza, and Hospital HM Rosaleda (Centro Medico La Rosaleda).

There is also the University Hospital but I'm not sure if they treat members of the public or only students from the university.

Hi @Long Legs and welcome to the forum. I'd go to HM La Rosaleda, as it is a private hospital. The university hospital and the one in Conxo are more for patients in the public health system. When my dad was visiting and had pneumonia we took him to the Rosaleda clinic and they took him right away, gave him x-rays, etc. It was a base price of 60€ then more for each test and x-ray they had to do.

If you can find something in Porto, that could be good as well as the Portuguese usually have a comfort and facility with English that is impressive.

Hope that helps and Buen Camino!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi all

My wife and I will be traveling in Europe for a few months in 2020, including doing the Portuguese Camino in June.
I have a port-a-cath which I will need to get flushed in late June - About the time we plan to finish the walk in Santiago. From there we will be heading back to Porto by train or bus.

Can anyone suggest a cancer clinic or hospital near Santiago or en-route to Porto where I could get this done?
I'll be paying out of pocket (I'm Australian so don't have an EU health insurance card and travel insurance won't pay for it) so hope I can get it done at a reasonable cost.
A couple of questions.
1. Are you planning more treatment? I had my port removed immediately after I completed chemotherapy.
2. Ask how long the port can go without being flushed. Maybe it's longer than than the standard flushing schedule you are on now.
3. I would get the flushing supplies from my doctor or nurse to take with me because I see that available supplies might be a barrier to getting it flushed.
4. Ever think of learning to do it yourself! Although I am a nurse, I think flushing a port is a simple procedure.
Have a great trip and remember the Camino provides exactly what you need.

Hi @easygoing
1. Yes. I'm in remission but have multiple myeloma so inevitable it will return. I love my port :)
2. The doctor recommends not more than 6 weeks. Longer than that and it risks getting blocked. I've heard of people going for several months without a flush and it being okay, but I'd like to make sure it stays usable.
3. That's a great idea! The right sized needle at the least. Thanks for that suggestion.
4. 😱 I'd rather be a patient than a doctor 😁. I'd also be concerned about infection - A friend of mine got hers flushed and within hours was violently ill from septicemia and had to have it removed. Yes, that was in a hospital, but I'd still have more confidence in a nurse than myself, and would at least like to be in touch with the right medical people if something does go wrong.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Most read last week in this forum

Hello! I am starting the Route Frances on May 20 and looking at weather to pick my clothes but also figured I should factor the bug situation into the equation since I don't want to weigh down my...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.