• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Where to go in France - May/June

jirit

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2007,
Via Francigena Italy, 2008,
Jakobsweg Austria 2010,
Camino Frances 2011,
Le Puy to Lourdes 2012,
Via de la Plata 2013,
Future:
Ökumenischer (Via Regia), Germany,
Lycian Way, Turkey
Seeking some suggestions and/or advice

My wife and I have about 3-4 weeks to spare to walk a route in France from about late May to mid/late June. We will be arriving in France via Switzerland, so walking in France seems to make more sense than traveling to another country in Europe.

Our short list of possible trails includes:

Chemin du Piemont (Narbonne to St Jean PdP)
Via Tolosana (Arles to maybe Toulouse or Pau)
Via Genennensis (from Lausanne or Geneva to Le Puy)
Via Podiensis (from Le Puy to whereever can get to within 4 weeks max, unlikely St Jean PdP)

After completing the walk, we would return to Paris to catch our flight before the end of the month of June

I welcome all suggestions and thoughts

Thanks!

Neville

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
My order:
1)Via Podiensis-- outstanding except for last part before SJPP
2)Via Tolosana-- (Arles to maybe Toulouse or Pau) Some tough hills on that route, but nice variety, uncrowded
3)Chemin du Piemont I have not done it, but looks nice
4)Via Genennensis (from Lausanne or Geneva to Le Puy) Definitely start in Geneva, or take the boat to Geneva. Artificial contrived route with little history. Best near LePuy.

I agree with Newfydog but the Arles route would be my first choice.
I did this route in 2008/9 and Le Puy in 2007.In my opinion the Arles route was for me more
of a challenge than the Camino Frances.You could certainly reach Pau in 4 weeks .Unfortunately you would miss the final stages over the Col du Somport and down the Jaca valley which is very beautiful.As Newfydog said there are fewer people on the Arles route but you still have to book accomodation in advance.If you choose the Arles route be sure to stay in Lodeve where there is a fabulous gite called La Megisserie.
There are far more people on the Le Puy route and it is my understanding from the french forum Au cœur du chemin,very busy during May .
I am sure no matter which route you choose you will have a fabulous time.
Bon chemin et Bon Courage. :)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thanks Mournes and newfydog for the wonderful feedback

I think we have narrowed it down to:

1)Via Podiensis (if the weather in May/June is on our side)
2)Via Tolosana (if the weather in May/June is not on our side)

What would you suggest in terms of guidebooks and where to get the pilgrim passport?

I assume we could get a passport in Le Puy but what the Via Tolosana route?

Neville

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Jirit you can get the pilgrim passport from the Cathedral of St Trophime
in Arles.
I used the French Rando Guide and Miam Miam Dodo for accommodation and restaurants.
:)

I personally prefer the FFRP guides over Miam Miam. Real maps, not sketches, and some nice cultural info. I think the Miam is more comprehensive on lodging. You can find it in most bookstores, but here's a link:

http://www.amazon.fr/Sentier-St-Jacques ... 968&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.fr/Sentier-vers-Saint ... =8-2-fkmr0

We did the Arles route in April-May and only booked ahead once, on a holiday weekend heading into St Guilhem la Desert. Booked that morning. Absolutely no problem any other day.

We did the Le Puy route in September and never booked ahead.

I would do either one again.

We have narrowed down our choices to either the
Via Tolosana from Arles
Via Podiensis from Le Puy

However we plan to walk to Lourdes. I have figured how to connect to the route going to Lourdes (GR#653 to GR#101) and (GR#65 to GR#653 via GR de Pays "Coeur de Gascogne" for the latter route), and how long it will take. We plan to leave May 19 and arrive in Lourdes June 21

Surprisingly both routes take approx 30 days (maybe less for those who want walk longer each day). Our plan includes a few extra days for sightseeing in some of important towns and cities along the way.

A couple of question?

Given that we have decided to make Lourdes our final destination, which way would you recommend, Via Tolosana or Via Podiensis?

Can anyone recommend a place to stay in Lourdes? I suspect it will be busy mid June

Thanks

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Starting El Camino Francés with my brother and sister in law on May 25th from SJPP. We plan to stay in Paris from the 25th to te 28th. Looking for a moderate price place where we can stay for 3 days. If any boda can help with some advice, it will be great help.
Raruns

Bonjour, Jirit.
You might like to consider hiking Le Sentier Cathare (The Cathar Way). As you have a few weeks to spare, perhaps you might link this trail to stages of Le chemin de Saint-Jacques , Arles. The Cathar Way is a stunning hike in 12 stages beginning at Port-la-Nouvelle by the coast , ending at Foix in the foothills of the Pyrennees. Along the way are nine ruined Cathar castles -Aquilar, Queribus, Peyrepertuse, Puivert, Montsegur….. Although it is not a Grand Randonee, it is a well signed, maintained trail.

I hiked this route in April, 2007. Except for the first stage, which I did in two days staying in Chambre d’hotes, there are Gites at the end of most stages. Trains run from Carcassonne to Port-La-Nouvelle. From Foix there’s a train to Toulouse.

Guide book
Mattingly, Alan. The Cathar Way: A walkers guide to the Sentier Cathare. Cicerone
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1852844868/?tag=casaivar-21

Reading
…and here’s a couple of inspiring books…the village of Montaillou can be seen in the distance as one hikes into Comus...

Ladurie, Emmanuel La Roy. (2002). Montaillou: Cathars and Catholics in a French Village 1294-1324.. Penguin.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0140137009/?tag=casaivar-21

O’Shea, Stephen. The Perfect Heresy: The Life and Death of the Cathars. Books.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1861973500/?tag=casaivar-21

Attachments

• queribus 6 - Copy.jpeg
    queribus 6 - Copy.jpeg
    46.9 KB · Views: 610
raruns said:
Starting El Camino Francés with my brother and sister in law on May 25th from SJPP. We plan to stay in Paris from the 25th to te 28th. Looking for a moderate price place where we can stay for 3 days. If any boda can help with some advice, it will be great help.
Raruns

Hello!

Welcome to the CSJ forum! I am certain that you will find much helpful information here as you plan your Camino.

The dates that you cite seem a bit confused. Will you begin walking from SJPdP on May 25 or 28 ?

One site you might use to look for affordable accommodation is Airbnb. Here is their link for Paris.
http://www.airbnb.com/search?locati...clid=CNiR-8enzqcCFc4e3wodiXlbBw#modified=true

Bon Voyage and Buen Camino!

Margaret

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Regardless of your route, try to book accommodations in advance. The French love to go walking in May, as there are three bridge weekends (Thursday through Sunday and sometimes extending through Monday as well): May Day (May 1), V-E Day (May 8th), Pentecost (moveable feast - May 27 for 2012). This impacts the demand for accommodations, and the opening hours of shops and restaurants.

lovingkindness said:
Bonjour, Jirit.
You might like to consider hiking Le Sentier Cathare (The Cathar Way). As you have a few weeks to spare, perhaps you might link this trail to stages of Le chemin de Saint-Jacques , Arles. The Cathar Way is a stunning hike in 12 stages beginning at Port-la-Nouvelle by the coast , ending at Foix in the foothills of the Pyrennees. Along the way are nine ruined Cathar castles -Aquilar, Queribus, Peyrepertuse, Puivert, Montsegur….. Although it is not a Grand Randonee, it is a well signed, maintained trail.

I hiked this route in April, 2007. Except for the first stage, which I did in two days staying in Chambre d’hotes, there are Gites at the end of most stages. Trains run from Carcassonne to Port-La-Nouvelle. From Foix there’s a train to Toulouse.

Guide book
Mattingly, Alan. The Cathar Way: A walkers guide to the Sentier Cathare. Cicerone
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1852844868/?tag=casaivar-21

Reading
…and here’s a couple of inspiring books…the village of Montaillou can be seen in the distance as one hikes into Comus...

Ladurie, Emmanuel La Roy. (2002). Montaillou: Cathars and Catholics in a French Village 1294-1324.. Penguin.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0140137009/?tag=casaivar-21

O’Shea, Stephen. The Perfect Heresy: The Life and Death of the Cathars. Books.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1861973500/?tag=casaivar-21

Thanks Lovingkindness for all the great information on this trail

We have decided to walk the Le Puy route to Lectore and then head south to the Arles route arriving in Auch. From there we expect to walk along this route and later head south of GR 101 into Lourdes. But I will keep the Le Sentier Cathare route in mind for next time.

In fact after reading about your journey from Tronheim Norway to Santiago Spain, I am inspired to do something similar. The only issue is finding the time and having the ability to stay in Europe beyond 3 months.

Neville

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back