• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Where to land and where to start

Deanpf

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances May 2016 from Burgos to Finisterre
Hello,
I am planning to do my first walk this May/June. I am coming from Canada and wish the whole trip to be three weeks so therefore will most likely walk for 18 or 19 days so I can have a day in Santiago to recover and see the city. I am wondering where the best starting point is and what city I should fly to?
I am on a very limited budget so hoping to book a flight soon to save a bit of money.
Thanks to anyone who can offer advice.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi,

If you are planning to walk the Camino Frances and end in Santiago, IMO you're probably best to fly into Madrid. There are good bus and train connections from Madrid city and some buses go directly from Madrid Airport T4. However, it's probably worth playing around with other options, depending on where you need to stopover etc.

Your start point will depend on your walking experience and how far you want to walk each day. You might also want to factor in a rest day at some point, or a second day in Santiago. Sahagun is easily accessibly by train from Madrid, so that could work. It's about 16 days of walking from Santiago, allowing you some flexibility in your plan. If you want a slower pace or more rest days, starting in Leon might be an option.

There's lots of information on this forum. Gronze - http://www.gronze.com/camino-de-santiago/caminos/guia-del-camino-frances is also a very useful resource.

Happy planning and Buen Camino!

Nuala

http://www.rome2rio.com is a great site to play around with a variety of travel options. You can also use http://www.skyscanner.net with flexible date/anywhere in Spain settings to see where to a flight is the cheapest. Just think outside the box and be adventurous ;-) Buen Camino, SY

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi,

If you are planning to walk the Camino Frances and end in Santiago, IMO you're probably best to fly into Madrid. There are good bus and train connections from Madrid city and some buses go directly from Madrid Airport T4. However, it's probably worth playing around with other options, depending on where you need to stopover etc.

Your start point will depend on your walking experience and how far you want to walk each day. You might also want to factor in a rest day at some point, or a second day in Santiago. Sahagun is easily accessibly by train from Madrid, so that could work. It's about 16 days of walking from Santiago, allowing you some flexibility in your plan. If you want a slower pace or more rest days, starting in Leon might be an option.

There's lots of information on this forum. Gronze - http://www.gronze.com/camino-de-santiago/caminos/guia-del-camino-frances is also a very useful resource.

Nuala

Thanks Nuala! Much Appreciated.
Dean

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
If you don't bother to walk a camino other than the Francés, you could consider to walk from Zamora to Santiago de Compostela. That route means walking all the Camino Sanabrés plus two stages on the Vía de la Plata at the start of your route.

Zamora is a nice town easy to reach from Madrid either by train (the high-speed ones make the route in 1h. 30m.) or by bus.

For info about trains (schedules ticket purchase...): www.renfe.com If you aren't familiar with the Renfe web, take a look at www.seat61.com/Spain-trains.htm#How_to_use_www.renfe.com to know beforehand how to avoid some problems that may arise and/or to look for alternatives if the Renfe web doesn't work well for you.

For info about buses from Madrid to Zamora: www.avanzabus.com They have bus service to Zamora both from downtown Madrid and from Madrid airport but service out of the airport is very limited so, unless you arrive to the airport early on the morning, you are likely to need to go to the downtown to get the bus.

Don't worry about going from the airport to the downtown to get a bus or a train. It's an easy cercanías (shuttle) train ride from the Terminal 4 of the airport to either Chamartín train station (departure point of trains to Zamora) or Méndez Álvaro train station (next to the Estación Sur de Autobuses, the bus station in the downtown from where the buses to Zamora depart). Cercanías on that line run every hour (check schedules on the Cercanías area of the web of Renfe).

Hello,
I am planning to do my first walk this May/June. I am coming from Canada and wish the whole trip to be three weeks so therefore will most likely walk for 18 or 19 days so I can have a day in Santiago to recover and see the city. I am wondering where the best starting point is and what city I should fly to?
I am on a very limited budget so hoping to book a flight soon to save a bit of money.

Where are you in Canada? Air Transat may be a good option to fly into Madrid depending on where you live. Dates are not as flexible, with typically only 1 flight a week but it has been working for me: it's less expensive and the only direct flight from Montreal.

At the Madrid airport you can find buses to a number of Camino cities, including Leon which is a good starting point in order to arrive in Santiago and get you back home in 3 weeks. At this time of the year you will likely be able to find a seat on a bus for just a few Euros, and the 6 hours or so to get to Leon will be perfeçt for napping and help you get over jetlag so you can start walking the very next day.

If you are a good walker you could spend any extra time you may have visiting Santigo for a day and bussing to Fisterr or Muxia also for a day. If you are a super walker you could walk there and bus back. I am a girl who likes to walk 20-25 km a day, so no extra days for me after Santiago.

To get back to Madrid to catch your return flight you can jump on a RyanAir flights for little money. You can also bring your backpack on board for free on 2 conditions: it is standard flying size, so a max of 40 liters or so, and that it does not contain walkng poles. If you hac've walking poles they will have to be checked, and that will cost you about the same as your seat.

To get to the Santiago airport you can catch a bus for 3€ I think, maybe 5€, at Plaza Galicia, 5 minute walk from the cathedral. It is less expensive to buy your ticket as you get on the bus than via Ryan Air which offers them as well. I think the first bus is at 6am, it will get you to the airport within 45 minutes, the flight is also 45 to 60 minutes or so, if memoery serves me, so a flight leaving after 1 pm is doable. Or you can take an overnight bus from Santiago, or also plan to spend one night in Madrid: there are clean, comfortable and well located pensiones for 40 € or so.

For bus info, visit the Alsa site, your departure point will be Madrid-Barajas T4.

Hope this helps!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hello,
Hello,

Try using www.smartfares.com and use multicity as opposed to roundtrip. For instance try departing Toronto to Leon, Spain and then Santiago de Compostela to Toronto. The airfares are not much more expensive than Madrid return and you will save time and hassle catching taxis and trains.

Hi,

Nuala
We flew into Bilbao and were very glad we did. We live in Michigan and flew from Detroit.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
We flew into Bilbao and were very glad we did. We live in Michigan and flew from Detroit.
Hello,

If you are starting in St Jean Pied de Port, I would suggest to fly to San Sebastian Airport , as I did, and you can walk (about a mile and good training)) to catch the train at the station in Irun or Hedaye (about a 20 minute walk and good training) to Bayonne and then from Bayonne to St Jean Pied de Port.

If you are starting in St Jean Pied de Port, I would suggest to fly to San Sebastian Airport , as I did, and you can walk (about a mile and good training)) to catch the train at the station in Irun or Hedaye (about a 20 minute walk and good training) to Bayonne and then from Bayonne to St Jean Pied de Port.

IMHO, it's (way) better to take the train in Hendaye. If you take the train in Irún, you would have to change trains in Hendaye anyway... BTW, if you take the train from Irún to Hendaye, take one of the local Euskotren trains that run every 30 minutes. Once in Hendaye, go from the Euskotren train station to the SNCF train station (on the other side of the parking) to take your train to Bayonne.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hello,

Deanpf:

Do you want to walk an entire Camino? If so, I recommend you walk the Primitivo. Fly into Madrid and take a train or bus to Oviedo and walk the entire Primitivo. It can easily be done in 18-19 days. Depending on your pace, you might have time to walk to Finistere. Save the Frances for when you have time to walk from SJPdP, Roncesvalles or Pamplona.

If you prefer to walk the Frances this year, fly into Madrid and take a train or bus to Leon and begin walking from there. you will likely still have time to walk to Finistere.

Whatever you choose, I am sure it will be the best decision for you.

Ultreya,
Joe

Where are you in Canada? Air Transat may be a good option to fly into Madrid depending on where you live. Dates are not as flexible, with typically only 1 flight a week but it has been working for me: it's less expensive and the only direct flight from Montreal.

At the Madrid airport you can find buses to a number of Camino cities, including Leon which is a good starting point in order to arrive in Santiago and get you back home in 3 weeks. At this time of the year you will likely be able to find a seat on a bus for just a few Euros, and the 6 hours or so to get to Leon will be perfeçt for napping and help you get over jetlag so you can start walking the very next day.

If you are a good walker you could spend any extra time you may have visiting Santigo for a day and bussing to Fisterr or Muxia also for a day. If you are a super walker you could walk there and bus back. I am a girl who likes to walk 20-25 km a day, so no extra days for me after Santiago.

To get back to Madrid to catch your return flight you can jump on a RyanAir flights for little money. You can also bring your backpack on board for free on 2 conditions: it is standard flying size, so a max of 40 liters or so, and that it does not contain walkng poles. If you hac've walking poles they will have to be checked, and that will cost you about the same as your seat.

To get to the Santiago airport you can catch a bus for 3€ I think, maybe 5€, at Plaza Galicia, 5 minute walk from the cathedral. It is less expensive to buy your ticket as you get on the bus than via Ryan Air which offers them as well. I think the first bus is at 6am, it will get you to the airport within 45 minutes, the flight is also 45 to 60 minutes or so, if memoery serves me, so a flight leaving after 1 pm is doable. Or you can take an overnight bus from Santiago, or also plan to spend one night in Madrid: there are clean, comfortable and well located pensiones for 40 € or so.

For bus info, visit the Alsa site, your departure point will be Madrid-Barajas T4.

Hope this helps!

Thank you! I am coming from Montreal so will look into transat.

Thank you! I am coming from Montreal so will look into transat.
So happy to hear that. It's a no brainer then! If you need help navigating Spanish speaking sites to book bus or train, just give me a shout. If you need tips on where to acquire gear as well.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Deanpf:

Do you want to walk an entire Camino? If so, I recommend you walk the Primitivo. Fly into Madrid and take a train or bus to Oviedo and walk the entire Primitivo. It can easily be done in 18-19 days. Depending on your pace, you might have time to walk to Finistere. Save the Frances for when you have time to walk from SJPdP, Roncesvalles or Pamplona.

If you prefer to walk the Frances this year, fly into Madrid and take a train or bus to Leon and begin walking from there. you will likely still have time to walk to Finistere.

Whatever you choose, I am sure it will be the best decision for you.

Ultreya,
Joe

Thanks Joe. I will seriously consider walking the Primitivo. I hadn't thought about doing that but I like the idea of being able to walk an entire camino and also being closer to the sea.
Thank you!

Dean

So happy to hear that. It's a no brainer then! If you need help navigating Spanish speaking sites to book bus or train, just give me a shout. If you need tips on where to acquire gear as well.

Thanks I will take you up on that I think. I'm glad I have a few months to plan and get everything as I am already learning a lot from just this thread. I'm now thinking of walking the Primitivo from Oviedo. It's very exciting to look at teh options and start to learn what I need to bring with me and where I will find it all on a limited budget.
Thank you!
Dean

Thanks Joe. I will seriously consider walking the Primitivo. I hadn't thought about doing that but I like the idea of being able to walk an entire camino and also being closer to the sea.
Thank you!

Dean
No sea at all to be seen on the Primitivo, just walking through the clouds. Just as beautiful as walking by the coast.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Nomenclature - I am flying in to Bilbao. Can you give details how you got to STJPP? I'm departing Seattle May 23.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Nomenclature - I am flying in to Bilbao. Can you give details how you got to STJPP? I'm departing Seattle May 23.
Take a look at Castillan's and Ravenback's posts above. You can take a bus or train back to San Sebastian and then follow their instructions. Www.euskotre.eus will give you the schedules for the train from Bilbao to SanSebastian (aka Donostia) as well as the map, and perhaps even Hendaye if you did a little deeper in the site.

Deanpf:

You will be closer to the sea than the Frances but not close enough to see the sea. There will be great mountain views to the south. I am not sure if they will still be snow peaked in May.

Ultreya,
Joe

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I am flying in to Bilbao. Can you give details how you got to STJPP?

I'm not the person you quoted but I can tell you how to get there.

Take a bus from Bilbao's airport (aka Loiu -airport-) to San Sebastián (aka Donostia) with Pesa (www.pesa.net) and another one from San Sebastián (aka Donostia) to Bayonne with Pesa. Once in Bayonne, go to the train station and continue to SJPP with the SNCF (www.sncf.com).

On working days from Mondays to Fridays (both included), Pesa has a direct bus from downtown Bilbao to Bayonne departing nowadays (verify what's the schedule on your travel date) at 07:00 a.m. that might be an option to consider depending on your arrival time to Bilbao and/or on whether you want to wander a bit around Bilbao before your camino (or not).

Hello,
Fly to Lisbon. Take the train to Porto and walk the Portuguese way from there, then take a bus back to Lisbon. Route is well marked, even the 1 day coastal walk. Lots of sleeping and eating choices, including Casa Fernanda. 3 weeks is plenty of time. 2 countries 1 camino, a day in Lisbon, a day in Porto, and a day in Santiago, think about it. Buen Camino

Happy trails

Other option is fly to Madrid and take bus to Burgos (Depends on the hour you can take the bus at the airport).
Depends on your speed you can start to walk there or take the bus for other town. I think it's one of the best starts for 19 days walking for end in Santiago.

For return to Canada or go to Santiago-Madrid in train/plane or see if is more cheaper santiago-london and london-canada.

(sorry for my English)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I'm not the person you quoted but I can tell you how to get there.

Take a bus from Bilbao's airport (aka Loiu -airport-) to San Sebastián (aka Donostia) with Pesa (www.pesa.net) and another one from San Sebastián (aka Donostia) to Bayonne with Pesa. Once in Bayonne, go to the train station and continue to SJPP with the SNCF (www.sncf.com).

On working days from Mondays to Fridays (both included), Pesa has a direct bus from downtown Bilbao to Bayonne departing nowadays (verify what's the schedule on your travel date) at 07:00 a.m. that might be an option to consider depending on your arrival time to Bilbao and/or on whether you want to wander a bit around Bilbao before your camino (or not).[/Q UOTE]
I think I would like to get to San Sebastion on same day I arrive in Bilbao at 6:45 pm, since it looks like it's about 1 1/2 hrs ride, (or do you think it might be too late?) and stay at a private room or hotel that night, then on to SJPP the next night - or spend one day in SS. I could then stay at the alburgue in SJPP and leave from there the next morning. I want to take a little time to rest up and be ready for walking.

@ScaryB4Coffee it's not too late. If you arrive at 18:45, you could take the 19:45 or the 20:45 Pesa bus from the airport to San Sebastián. Buses run every hour till 23:45. It's a 1h. 15m. ride.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

I also flew into Bilbao. Took the airport shuttle to the bus station, followed by a 2 hr bus ride to Pamplona. I used the left luggage lockers to store my backpack for a few hours which I whiled away in Pamplona, sampling lots of pintxos and exploring the city, then got the last bus at 17.30 to Saint Jean Pied de Port.

It was really easy, but does depend on your arrival time. My plane landed at 11.30am, and I was able to get the 13.00 Pamplona bus. Had I missed that bus I would have had to get the 15.30 bus, which would have got me in to Pamplona a bit too late for the bus to Saint Jean. My back-up would have then been the 18.00 to Roncesvalles, and hope I would have been able to share a taxi on to SJPdP.

B us timetables are at Movelia.es and Alsa (or may be Conda)

Well after a lot of reading- this forum is really inspiring and informative- I have decided I will walk the Frances and begin in either Sahagun or possibly Leon after flying into Madrid and taking the train up to Sahagun.
Thanks to all for the help and I look forward to the next 5 months of preparing for my first camino

I also flew into Bilbao. Took the airport shuttle to the bus station, followed by a 2 hr bus ride to Pamplona. I used the left luggage lockers to store my backpack for a few hours which I whiled away in Pamplona, sampling lots of pintxos and exploring the city, then got the last bus at 17.30 to Saint Jean Pied de Port.

It was really easy, but does depend on your arrival time. My plane landed at 11.30am, and I was able to get the 13.00 Pamplona bus. Had I missed that bus I would have had to get the 15.30 bus, which would have got me in to Pamplona a bit too late for the bus to Saint Jean. My back-up would have then been the 18.00 to Roncesvalles, and hope I would have been able to share a taxi on to SJPdP.

B us timetables are at Movelia.es and Alsa (or may be Conda)
Hello Julia
are you able to post the link to the bus station link you used to get from Bilbao to Pamplona? I need to see if they run on Saturday.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
They have several options for Saturday June 11th but non offer bike transport.

Maybe they don't offer (the option of purchasing) bike transport online but on their web they provide info about bike transport. Take a look at www.autobuseslaunion.com/en/general-conditions.asp for the details. To get in touch with them to ask about specific details (e.g.: if you can buy a ticket with no reference to a bike and check in later a bike at the ticket office) would be a good idea. You'll find contact details on their web.

If after getting in touch with them you don't see that option clear, there are alternatives to reach Pamplona changing transport along the route, if you were interested.

Maybe they don't offer (the option of purchasing) bike transport online but on their web they provide info about bike transport. Take a look at www.autobuseslaunion.com/en/general-conditions.asp for the details. To get in touch with them to ask about specific details (e.g.: if you can buy a ticket with no reference to a bike and check in later a bike at the ticket office) would be a good idea. You'll find contact details on their web.

If after getting in touch with them you don't see that option clear, there are alternatives to reach Pamplona changing transport along the route, if you were interested.
Thank you so much! This is so helpful. Looks like they have a lot of seats available on Saturday so hopefully there will be room for my bike. I have read other ways of getting to SJPDP and they seem like a good way for me to get lost and loose a lot of time.

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.