• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Where to meet my other half

Waka

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Some but not all, and other routes too.
I have been dithering whether to do the CF or the VDLP next year, my significant half wants to join me for a period of time (she joined me in Sarria last time). My thinking if I do the CF would be for her to join me in Burgos and do the Meseta together and leaving me in Leon so I can continue. This in my mind would be the easiest option because transport from Madrid in both locations is good.

But I really want to do the VDLP, so can the experienced out there please help me identify where my wife could join me for about 12 days or so with easy links to an airport from start and finish locations.
Much appreciated.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I have been dithering whether to do the CF or the VDLP next year, my significant half wants to join me for a period of time (she joined me in Sarria last time). My thinking if I do the CF would be for her to join me in Burgos and do the Meseta together and leaving me in Leon so I can continue. This in my mind would be the easiest option because transport from Madrid in both locations is good.

But I really want to do the VDLP, so can the experienced out there please help me identify where my wife could join me for about 12 days or so with easy links to an airport from start and finish locations.
Much appreciated.
A flight hub from Madrid to Salamanca could be an idea.

Much appreciated.
Hi, waka,
What time of year will you be walking?

The Vdlp goes through a number of easy to get to cities, but I don't think any of them are well connected by air except for Sevilla. If you are starting in early spring, the first stretch from Sevilla to Mérida could be a nice two week walk, and Mérida to Madrid by bus is easy.

Just by looking at gronze's vdlp list: http://www.gronze.com/via-plata and knowing that the major cities along the way are Mérida, Cáceres, Salamanca, Zamora and Ourense, you can pick out some good stretches.

I particularly like the idea of Merida to Salamanca or Cáceres to Zamora.

Bus service is exceptionally good throughout Spain so even if your wife stops in a smallish place, she is likely to be able to get back to Madrid without too much hassle. I once walked with a man whose daughter came to Baños de Montemayor on the Vdlp to walk with him for a few days into Salamanca. She took a bus from some small pueblo in Galicia to get there and had no problems.

Good luck with the planning, and even if you pick some less populated starting and stopping points, there are travel gurus here who can help with bus and train schedules. Buen camino, Laurie

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
@Albertinho, @peregrina2000, @grayland, thanks for the response, I can see I have a lot of planning to do, been looking at Gronze.com today to get a better picture. My other half is only interested in doing a couple of weeks with me, I have to add that they have to be the less strenuous.
As I've said before the planning is as interesting as the journey. Oh I'll be leaving mid March whether it's the VDLP or the CF.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hi.

As Laurie said, Caceres to Salamanca is lovely. Yes, there are hills. But probably no more or less than the other main stretches except Sevilla to Merida. That's nice as well, but has a large industrial stretch in the beginning. Definitely not as nice as Caceres to Salamanca. I've gone from the airport in Madrid to all of the cities in between Sevilla and Santiago by bus very easily. It generally requires one trip from the airport to Madrid's major bus station, although the Salamanca bus leaves directly from Barajas.

Melanie

@Albertinho, @peregrina2000, @grayland, thanks for the response, I can see I have a lot of planning to do, been looking at Gronze.com today to get a better picture. My other half is only interested in doing a couple of weeks with me, I have to add that they have to be the less strenuous.
As I've said before the planning is as interesting as the journey. Oh I'll be leaving mid March whether it's the VDLP or the CF.
Happy planning whatever you choose and whatever your other half is deciding.:p.

At first sight btw I thought about my other half at "me and my shadow " :p:p:p
Then it shouldn't be so complicated" :):):)
My former boss- in my other working live-always said " you have a problem ? Look in the mirror and the one you'll see is solving your problem ! ":mad::mad::mad:

Buen camino

My hubby (and father-in-law and brother-in-law) met us in Merida and walked to Salamanca. They used Madrid as their base and took a bus to Merida and train back from Salamanca.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thanks for all the responses. I guess I should have mentioned that, The Other Half is also known as Management or She Who Must be Obeyed etc, all us married guys have one.

Thanks for all the responses. I guess I should have mentioned that, The Other Half is also known as Management or She Who Must be Obeyed etc, all us married guys have one.
A Higher Power is easy to believe in. I've been married to two of those...

One of the first things I learned in my Spanish class last year, was to always end a discussion with the following: "Si, senora..."

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
In that case, why are you asking us? She has probably already decided!

I also concur with Merida to Salamanca ! or getting to Merida then taking a bus a few days ahead and heading to Salamanca. We walked part of the VDLP this Sept/Oct and the two weeks we walked starting in Merida to Salamanca were magical! I then broke a bone in my foot but my husband took bus to Orense and finished the last 100 km . I stayed in beautiful Salamanca then bussed to Santiago. Always remember she can bus or taxi to next town. We found the Spanish people were so accommodating and were very helpful once I hurt my foot!

And here I was thinking you were looking for another half, not havi g the current one catch up with you along the way. :rolleyes:
Now I'm worried...you and I having the same thought at nearly the same time:oops:.
As for "looking" for a better half while on Camino...I have found that there are many Spanish ladies walking the Camino Francis in August. And, I must admit that on several occasions I have met many lovely Spanish and other ladies of several nationalities that let on that they were looking :D and I would consider;)
Buen "when the time is right" Camino,
Arn

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

I have been reading 2 different reports (on FB and instagram) about (an) agressive dog(s) just after Oseira. I'll post them here: In the group of @geraldkelly on FB (4 days ago): Hello lovely Via...
After a smooth and uneventful flight from Chicago to Madrid on Iberia, the last three days we have been doing some sightseeing in Salamanca and Zamora, and our days have been sunny, a little cool...
Hi all! Once again I am heading back to Spain; this time to walk much of the Sanabres with my son; starting in Rionegro del Puente after a few sightseeing days first in Salamanca and Zamora...
After 13 days of walking I've finished my 337km walk on the Camino Sanabres, and my entire 1400km walk from Almería. Yay! If anyone's interested in a day-by-day report, you can find it on my...
One route looks a bit steeper, one a bit longer (not much). How else are they different? Recommendations?
I left them on the trail about 4-5 k before Cea I expect to be in Santiago on April 27-28. Mu email is written on the sides of the poles (for just this eventuality). If you find them and we can...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back