• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Where to Place Engo Patches?

LesBrass

Likes Walking
Time of past OR future Camino
yes...
It’s no secret that I have really wide feet... and no secret that I really suffer from blisters. Over the years I’ve researched and tried to educate myself and I do everything I can to try and avoid these dreadful things.

My most vulnerable area are my little toes. I can get blisters on the front, side, underneath and in between but most often underneath where the little toes curls under the neighbouring toe. I understand the blister is formed from me stepping on my toe with every step.

I wear Altra Lone Peaks and this helps... Drymax socks work best for me and I tape with omnifix and sometimes I’ll also use gel/silicone tubes... and I rest and air my feet. It’s a bit of a performance but I do everything and anything to stay blister free.

I also use engo patches. I’ve watched all the videos but I’m still not 100% sure of the best place to stick them to help with my little toes.

Can anyone resident experts offer advice please (@davebugg ) :)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I have the same problem with curling little toes. I don’t know about Engo patches, but I have tried a lot of other things and the only thing that really helped was using “Hiker’s wool” or something similar, natural lamb’s wool with high lanolin content. You can wrap it around the toes and it will stay in place, as it ‘glues’ to the socks, especially wool/wool blend socks. Works really well and easy to use.

PS: I don't consider myself an 'expert'

This from blister guru Rebecca Rushton:
"ENGO Patches need to apply to the shoe to stop blisters and so they can’t stop blisters between the toes – because there is no shoe surface to apply them to (except Vibrams of course). We do have customers that stick them to toe-socks. But they won’t last the washing machine cycle."

Here are some of her blog posts about them:

I seriously looked into these as I have the same ongoing issues as you - wide feet that get pinch blisters between the toes. Sadly, I came to the conclusion that the ENGO patches aren't much help there.
I posted a link to her website here in the resources section - it's helped me a lot in avoiding blisters on my caminos. (I rely on taping and hiker's wool.)

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I have the same problem with curling little toes. I don’t know about Engo patches, but I have tried a lot of other things and the only thing that really helped was using “Hiker’s wool” or something similar, natural lamb’s wool with high lanolin content. You can wrap it around the toes and it will stay in place, as it ‘glues’ to the socks, especially wool/wool blend socks. Works really well and easy to use.

PS: I don't consider myself an 'expert'

I do use hikers wool as a cushion but not wrapped like this... so I'll add this to my routine! thanks

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
This from blister guru Rebecca Rushton:
"ENGO Patches need to apply to the shoe to stop blisters and so they can’t stop blisters between the toes – because there is no shoe surface to apply them to (except Vibrams of course). We do have customers that stick them to toe-socks. But they won’t last the washing machine cycle."

Here are some of her blog posts about them:

I seriously looked into these as I have the same ongoing issues as you - wide feet that get pinch blisters between the toes. Sadly, I came to the conclusion that the ENGO patches aren't much help there.
I posted a link to her website here in the resources section - it's helped me a lot in avoiding blisters on my caminos. (I rely on taping and hiker's wool.)

Many thanks for this. I love Rebecca's site and I joined to get more info a few years ago. I put engo patches on my insole where I've had hot spots but I did wonder if they were pointless for the little toe blisters... what you say confirms this. So I guess that saves me buying additional ones. I do think they make a difference elsewhere but good to have this info re little pinky toes!

I have seriously considered a toe-ectomy to remove my pinkies :D

Engo patches treat the friction that happens between the shoe/sock/foot. They don't help with toe overlap or rubbing toes. I think the only thing you can do is tape one or two toes or add a rubber spacer between them (which, with wide feet, will probably just cause your outer toe to press against the shoe. You could also try Injinji socks that divide your toes like a glove. I have very wide feet and I wear sandals. With less moisture build-up and more room for my toes, I have less of a problem. But I still sometimes need to wrap a toe with tape.

You could also try Injinji socks that divide your toes like a glove.
I tried them and felt they were both overkill and uncomfortable. My feet felt hot and crowded. But I have super-wide feet.
For me it's only 4 toes out of 10 that are in danger of blisters, so it's tape and lamb's wool that do the trick.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Yeah, the injinji were a compromise for me, too. Lamb's wool is a great thing. I haven't seen it for sale in the US, but somebody gave me some on the camino and it works really well.

A couple of things. Use the Omnifix for full foot wraps on large areas such of ball of foot. On toes, use a stretchy breathable tape and do several wraps so your little toe is padded where it hits the next toe. Also try just using a thin liner sock as your only sock. It will keep your feet cooler. If your feet feel hot you need to do something about it immediately (air them out), even though your planned stop is only 15 minutes further.

I wear Altra Lone Peaks and love them, but my only criticism is they are a little hot compared to my former choice: Asics Gel Nimbus. Maybe you should try a shoe with more ventilation.

Last edited:
Injinji toe socks worked for my curling toes. If your feet felt hot and crowded, perhaps try a thinner version of them??

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I found injini socks uncomfortable when I first tried them and quickly went back to normal socks. But I get blisters under my little toes and thought I should persevere with the injinis. I did get used to them after a few days’ walking and now wear them all the time. But they do take up room in your shoe/boots, so may not work so well for wider feet.

I also use engo patches, mainly to prevent heel blisters. I have read (maybe in @davebugg’s post) that they can be applied to the insole which may work for one of your problems. Worth a try perhaps.
Buen Camino amiga!

but most often underneath where the little toes curls under the neighbouring toe

My little toe also curls under and I would get a pressure point blister between the two toes. Then I discovered softi-foam tubes “for overlapping toes and pressure points” – “cotton lining for absorbency” – “cut to any size or shape”. “Green Cross” makes them in South Africa, but I expect there are similar makes in Europe. As soon as I feel the hot spot starting I cut one to size and pull it over my little toe. Magic. I just wash it out in the evening and put it on again next day. Wouldn’t start a camino without a few in my first aid kit and they weigh absolutely nothing.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Then I discovered softi-foam tubes “for overlapping toes and pressure points” – “cotton lining for absorbency” – “cut to any size or shape”. “Green Cross” makes them in South Africa,

I googles this and found all kinds of painful looking options :oops:

I'm glad I'm not alone folks! Makes me feel less of a freak :D I did try injinji on my first camino but gave them away at Zubiri as I hated them so much... but my boots were too small and I already had terrible blisters so maybe I should try them again?

thanks for all the suggestions! 🚶‍♀️👠

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Did 2 Caminos and can vouch without any reservation Injinjitoe socks, just like a foot glove, and also supplimented with toe separators and an extra pair of socks when I started the Camino. I had some minor issues to start with, but I could not recommend them high enough.

Most read last week in this forum

Hola, I was really hoping to walk the Camino again this coming summer but despite all my hopes and planning I am in need of a hip replacement instead, yea! I walked the Frances in 2017 and have...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back