• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Where to put what at bedtime?

Maple Leaf Walker

Time of past OR future Camino
2017, 2018, 2019, 2023
With my first date with the Camino quickly approaching, I'm thinking about a few practical details about my day-to-day routine on the walk. One of those: how to manage my pack and my valuables at bed time.

Dear experienced Peregrinos: what do you do with a wallet and passport at bedtime? I'm thinking that I'll toss them in my 1 Litre dry bag and put it in the foot of my sleeping sack along with my quite comatose body at the end of each day.

Also: where does one typically put their pack at night while in an albergue? My understanding is that I should avoid putting it on a bed to avoid the risk of bedbugs.

All suggestions are welcome. Including telling me that I am overthinking things.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
It is a bit of overthinking because it depends a lot on the albergue. Some have lockers for you to secure your stuff inside. In others, I'd prefer to sleep with some things inside my sleeping bag.
Backpacks could go under the bed, in the lockers, on the corner... really depends.

I also have little locks in my backpack, so I can secure stuff inside - unless a very mean unpilgrim person decides to carry the entire thing away :p

I put my backpack next to the bed near my head or slide it under the bed if it fits. I wear hiking shorts to bed with my money and passport in the pockets. Phone, eye glasses, and camera are in the sleeping bag near my hips. I do not leave any valuables or necessary papers in my backpack.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
All helpful advice. Many thanks.

For me, I don't see the need for a lock for my pack, as I'm travelling light. The only things that would be a task to replace would be my bank card and passport (and even at that, still replaceable). Sounds like stuffing them in my sleep sack with me is the right way to go, and carrying them with me at all times.

Re. backpack beside the bed @Peter Fransiscus : no problems with bedbugs? That's my concern.

I usually wear a money belt, or carry a money belt necklace thing, and it never, ever leaves my body. In the shower, it's with me. With me always. You might take a plastic sack for it, but it's in eyesight always.

What everyone else said, and what you repeated.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Think you've got a good plan- keep the absolute essentials with you all the time and arrange everything else as each bed and room arrangement allows.

The no packs on the beds thing is more to keep the beds clean. Bedbugs, if they are around, are mobile and will hop on or off a pack whether it's on a bed or the floor.

Anyhow, the Camino experience is hopefully more than practical issues, I hope you have a great pilgrimage.

This year I carried a large Dollar Store "S" hook that I sometimes used to hang my pack off the end of the bunk. Depending on the layout of the room it was often very convenient to have it off of the floor.

I never use locks. There were a few albergues on the Norte in April that were completely unattended...unlocked and no hospitalero. I was a little less sure of those as anyone could walk in anytime. In a couple cases I kept walking and found more secure situations.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Walking in France, at least along the Le Puy route, it was quite common to require the packs to be left at the entry vestibule, along with the boots, poles, and wet rain gear. One then collected the necessities for the evening out of one's pack (see the usefulness of stuff sacks here!) and took them to the bedside.

My understanding is that I should avoid putting it on a bed to avoid the risk of bedbugs.
Bedbugs don't typically live IN albergue mattresses. They live in various places including crevices in wood walls and floors, and they are attracted at night to the CO2 we breath out when we are on the mattresses. Then they run back to their hiding spots for the day. You should avoid putting your backpack on the bed, for reasons of hygiene. It has been dropped and laid in many dirty places.

At night I place my whole pack into a large dry bag with a roll top. It nicely keeps my thing organized and reduces the risk of bedbug passengers. I can put it anywhere than is convenient.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The OP has received some good solid advice here, in my opinion. Reading through this with an uncertain beginner's eye though, might leave me with two takeaways:

1) You'll be robbed if you ever loose sight of your cash/passport/cards
2) Bedbugs are lurking at every turn

Just for a little perspective, I encountered NO bedbugs in any of the albergues, and I did not meet anyone (out of hundreds?) along the trail that was robbed. To be sure, both of these things are possible, but they are both unlikely.

Keep packs off of beds - the floor is great if you don't see another obvious choice. Most albergues, or at least the newer modern ones, have been pretty well proofed for bedbugs, but not all of them. Between the tile/linoleum floors, plastic mattress covers and metal bed frames, they have been battling the critters for years with success. As you are eying the albergue for bugs, the hospitaleros are eyeing you as a source of a fresh infestation!

Keep your valuables in your pockets, rather than sitting in the open. Take a dry sack so you can take them with you to the shower. Don't panic if you leave them in your jacket pocket when you use the bathroom at night. Nobody is lying awake all night waiting for a wayward pilgrim to stumble off to the toilet so they can go through their belongings in the dark. I had my valuables zipped in a jacket pocket stuffed in my pack at night, although sometimes it was my pillow too. I guess a thief could have stolen my pack, but the albergues are virtually all locked up at night. As for a fellow pilgrim finding my credit card in the dark - Good Luck! I know where it is and I couldn't find it without waking everyone else up.

There is plenty of good common sense suggestions offered by other posters. Don't be too worried though, the majority of pilgrims will be just fine with a little common sense.

Buen Camino!

Hello and congratulations on starting your journey! When I walked last year, I kept my money/cards/passport in a small flat travel purse that I just took in to bed with me. Backpacks and other gear I just kept at the end of my bunk. Hope that helps. Buen Camino!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I encountered NO bedbugs in any of the albergues

My guess would be you walked in the Spring. Bedbugs are definitely more prevalent during/after the heat of summer. My first Camino was in the Spring and there was no talk of Bedbugs the entire time, my second camino was Sept/Oct and someone said the word at least once a day! I was unfortunate enough to get caught on day 5.

But, for the OP, I would be more concerned about you getting bit by bedbugs than your bag sitting near them.

I still check all my beds before I will stay in any location. (Hotel or hostel!)

All helpful advice. Many thanks.

For me, I don't see the need for a lock for my pack, as I'm travelling light. The only things that would be a task to replace would be my bank card and passport (and even at that, still replaceable). Sounds like stuffing them in my sleep sack with me is the right way to go, and carrying them with me at all times.

Re. backpack beside the bed @Peter Fransiscus : no problems with bedbugs? That's my concern.

I've read that I should put my backpack in a large black trash liner at night and secure the top. Sounds reasonable. I'm bringing the trash liner just in case.

The OP has received some good solid advice here, in my opinion. Reading through this with an uncertain beginner's eye though, might leave me with two takeaways:

1) You'll be robbed if you ever loose sight of your cash/passport/cards
2) Bedbugs are lurking at every turn

I agree - relax, employ common sense with regard to both of these issues and you'll be fine! Basic precautions which mean you're not a sitting duck for an opportunistic theif are the same on the camino as everywhere else. Bed bugs are an inconvenience, but it you do come across them, then you will be able to deal with it.

Have fun, employ a little common sense, and things will be great! Buen Camino.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
We've left everything in our packs. Not carrying a fanny pack either. I'm not worried about a fellow pilgrim stealing my passport. It's useless to them. You get to know people very quickly and no one here seems like a thief. And yes, I can tell who whose trustworthy. I get paid to do it for a living :)
Same thing with bed bugs. I'm traveling with almost all non-Americans and nobody is worry about bugs or theft.

We've left everything in our packs. Not carrying a fanny pack either. I'm not worried about a fellow pilgrim stealing my passport. It's useless to them. You get to know people very quickly and no one here seems like a thief. And yes, I can tell who whose trustworthy. I get paid to do it for a living :)
Same thing with bed bugs. I'm traveling with almost all non-Americans and nobody is worry about bugs or theft.

I am glad it worked for you :) i still think that it isn't quite sound advice in general.
Even in my home city I carry my banker's card and my keys close to my body so that if someone decides to take my handbag, they just have some cash and other un-necessities I can manage without. I am left with what I NEED to get back home...

After reading about someone whose sleeping bag was cut at the bottom while they were sleeping (yikes!) I took an oversize lightweight pillow slip: to encase the albergue pillow AND my pouch of 'valuables'.

The pouch was then easy to take with me if I went to the bathroom during the night.

And the pillow slip was good to pack my night gear in, each morning.

Buen Camino.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I've read that I should put my backpack in a large black trash liner at night and secure the top.
Where did you read that? Firstly the immense rustling you'll emanate as you bag up and unbag the pack is likely to annoy everyone. Second, any bed bugs are far more interested in you than your pack during the night. Third, come the morning, you'll put your bedding off the bed into the pack. I have never ever seen anyone using a trash bag for this.

Just read up on what the signs are to look out for, to enable you to check for bed bugs on arrival. They are messy little beasts and not that good at hiding, if you know what to look for.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
My valuables live in a small cross body hand bag that goes in my silk sleep sac when I sleep, and in a waterproof bag when I shower. Otherwise it is always on my body. Even if I get up in the middle of the night for the bathroom.
Two comments
A friend who had completed the camino advised me to always have money passports , debit cards on you at all time
So i wonder ed for those middle of the. Nite bathroom calls for us over fifty people, i assume it goes with me
And second a waterproof bag in the shower, like a baggie would work too, i assume this is to keep debit card amd passport dry?

Where did you read that? Firstly the immense rustling you'll emanate as you bag up and unbag the pack is likely to annoy everyone. Second, any bed bugs are far more interested in you than your pack during the night. Third, come the morning, you'll put your bedding off the bed into the pack. I have never ever seen anyone using a trash bag for this.

Just read up on what the signs are to look out for, to enable you to check for bed bugs on arrival. They are messy little beasts and not that good at hiding, if you know what to look for.

Actually read it somewhere on this forum awhile back. Not sure who or when posted. Yes, I was concerned about the rustling. What you say makes sense. And I am familiar with the messy little beasts... once when I was quite young my family got infested with them. I still remember the signs and the bites :( after all these years. However, not going to let them - or the thought of them - spoil my pilgrimage.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I still remember the signs and the bites :( after all these years. However, not going to let them - or the thought of them - spoil my pilgrimage.
You are better placed than most people to recognise them, so you'll have no problems. I was well bitten by the travelling bedbugs of Indian Railways, but have never even seen them in Spain, so don't stress on them.

There seem to be a lot of people (including a few hospitaleros) who think that bedbugs are transmitted when they crawl into backpacks. This is ignoring that we put a sleeping bag or liner on the bed, sleep in it, like a big juicy bait to bugs, and then put the bedding in our pack.
I should have added that I put all my bedding stuff into another dry bag inside my pack pack during the day. My idea is that if any itchy spots break out during the day, it will he easier to decontaminate since I have isolated them.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
>"I've read that I should put my backpack in a large black trash liner"
@bbates225 it's my understanding that people do that only *if* they've been hit by those critters. Putting a pack in a black garbage bag and leaving it to bake in the sun for a day would kill them all.

In any case, I'm clearly making more out of this than necessary. As @notion900 points out: the bedding is going back in the pack anyways.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
With my first date with the Camino quickly approaching, I'm thinking about a few practical details about my day-to-day routine on the walk. One of those: how to manage my pack and my valuables at bed time.

Dear experienced Peregrinos: what do you do with a wallet and passport at bedtime? I'm thinking that I'll toss them in my 1 Litre dry bag and put it in the foot of my sleeping sack along with my quite comatose body at the end of each day.

Also: where does one typically put their pack at night while in an albergue? My understanding is that I should avoid putting it on a bed to avoid the risk of bedbugs.

All suggestions are welcome. Including telling me that I am overthinking things.
I'm surprised at the number of responses from people who slept with their valuables in bed with them. I did not. My passport, credencial, and money were all in my backpack at night, which was beside my bed or in a locker next to my bed. My Nikon D800 camera was next to my bed also or in a locker. I never felt the need to lock things up. When I showered, I did have all those things with me, including the camera, unless those I was walking with agreed to keep watch. To me the biggest adjustment was simply keeping track of everything and not losing or misplacing things. It took several days before I got into a routine that worked for me. And as others have stated, each alburgue is different, so you'll need to adjust your approach a bit.

Bedbugs don't typically live IN albergue mattresses. They live in various places including crevices in wood walls and floors, and they are attracted at night to the CO2 we breath out when we are on the mattresses. Then they run back to their hiding spots for the day. You should avoid putting your backpack on the bed, for reasons of hygiene. It has been dropped and laid in many dirty places.

At night I place my whole pack into a large dry bag with a roll top. It nicely keeps my thing organized and reduces the risk of bedbug passengers. I can put it anywhere than is convenient.
God I think I had better learn levitation pronto

You know I didn't mention it, but there was a guy with a glass eye last month on the VDLP. I made sure I went to bed before him and put my sleeping mask on, as I was scared he might come out of the bathroom without it :eek:
Was he keeping an eye on you do you think? U can never be too careful u also have to watch out for the silver tongued devils also:p:p:p:p:p

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Exa
All excellent points. Many thanks. Hey @alaskadiver you touch on an interesting point: so much of this is a Western pre-occupation!
Exactly. At least on the Primitivo there was never a concern on anyone's part about stuff being stolen OR bedbugs. People take their fears with them and they do what makes them comfortable. Being law enforcement gives me a different take on things. But I understand why people are fearful of things. I'm glad I was traveling with my husband and Europeans. No paranoia and good people.

So i wonder ed for those middle of the. Nite bathroom calls for us over fifty people, i assume it goes with me

I had my valuables in a crossbody purse that I kept inside my silk liner, and took with me to the bathroom in the middle of the night.
And second a waterproof bag in the shower, like a baggie would work too, i assume this is to keep debit card amd passport dry?
I used one of these extra large Ziploc bags. It has a handle on it, which you can use if the shower area has a hook. After my shower I used it to carry my laundry to the laundry area.

Big ziplock.jpeg
I should have added that I put all my bedding stuff into another dry bag inside my pack pack during the day. My idea is that if any itchy spots break out during the day, it will he easier to decontaminate since I have isolated them.

Good idea!

My solution has been to go with one of these 1 litre dry bags. It's light, it folds up and it doubles as pillow when empty.

5003652-SOU00-ALT-SIZE.jpg

I'm surprised at the number of responses from people who slept with their valuables in bed with them. I did not. My passport, credencial, and money were all in my backpack at night, which was beside my bed

I'm with Tom north - I simply had all my stuff in my rucksack at night. Perhaps I'm just a bit naive but I just have an inherent trust of people

I've never heard of anyone having something taken from inside their pack while it was in an albergue. It's mostly just dirty laundry in there anyway.

Many people plug in their phones to be charged and leave them while they go do something else. I haven't heard of a stolen phone. So far, anyway.

I wouldn't leave my whole pack outside of a bar where I couldn't see it and it just makes sense not to leave valuables lying around in plain sight unattended. Just reasonable common sense.

Money belt on my person 24-7 except in the shower when it is in the bottom of a nylon stuff bag containing my clothes and hanging within eyesight, usually under my towel.

I do not consider myself fearful or paranoid when I take certain cautionary measures.
Cautionary measures against the fear of someone stealing your things. You can call it whatever makes you feel good :)

I've never heard of anyone having something taken from inside their pack while it was in an albergue. It's mostly just dirty laundry in there anyway.

Many people plug in their phones to be charged and leave them while they go do something else. I haven't heard of a stolen phone. So far, anyway.

I wouldn't leave my whole pack outside of a bar where I couldn't see it and it just makes sense not to leave valuables lying around in plain sight unattended. Just reasonable common sense.
Yeup. Maybe there are more criminal pilgrims on the Frances, but on the Primitivo-nobody carried fanny packs and phones were left unattended. I doubt the 80 year olds in the remote villages were going around stealing stuff. I will probably never walk the Frances.

For the record, I have had someone root through my stuff while I was in the shower, and I think I passed them on the stairs on my way back, and they were a local. It was in a small albergue in a village.

For the record, I have had someone root through my stuff while I was in the shower, and I think I passed them on the stairs on my way back, and they were a local. It was in a small albergue in a village.

I'm beginning to think you don't have much luck on the Camino.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Every camino I have done has been absolutely brilliant thanks. The few knocks and annoyances I have experienced didn't bother me at all.

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...
Today is Sunday and I finished my Camino from León on Friday. The thing is I am feeling off balanced. I feel like I am not done. Last night I started feeling anxious with the thought of going back...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back