• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Where to sleep in November?

ElenaR

Time of past OR future Camino
Hi,
We are starting our Camino on November 17 from Sarria to Santiago. In my previous post I asked for a list of Albergues with reservation so my travel companions can receive a Schengen visa http://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/albergues-with-reservations.16993/. Also, I asked about the ones not to be missed in this section of the Camino. This great forum helped me with the list. The problem was that I got almost nowhere with reservations for reason that albergues or have not replied or they are closed in November. We are planning to follow John Brierley’s book for daily walking schedule. I started to send my inquiries to Albergues about two months ago. I got prompt reply from Ultreia Hostel and reserved beds. I got three replies for albergues at Palas de Rei. All of them are closed in November ( Meson De Benito, Buen Camino, and Casa Bendile). For Ribadoso -just got one response a couple of days ago to my July email from Albergues Los Caminates. They only have beds in Azura, not in Ribadiso ( I believe Ribadiso albergue is closed in November). No one answered from in Pedrouzo. Am I the only one who has problem with reservations? I don’t speak Spanish, so I cannot call. At this point we don’t need confirmations for the reservations and never mind “ not to be missed” aspect . Our main concern is to find a place to sleep in November in general. Fortunately, my companions were able to get visas following different route. I was reading posts on the forum, and . I was reading posts on the forum, and it seems that there is always a place to stay on Camino. But I am an over –planner and can’t help it. I am really concern to start our walk without reservations. Any suggestions?
Thank you again,
Elena

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Why not try the hostels or hotels. I have stayed at cheap hotels in Sarria,Portomarin, Palas do Rei and Arzua. Look at www. mundicamino.com at lodgings for each section.There are listed up hostels and hotels. Some of these hotels are on booking.com too. Learn a few booking sentences in Spanish. The owners are often better in English when you try first to speak Spanish. Or try Ivar. May be he can get you places to sleep. If you are more than one person, a cheap hotel is not so much more expensive than a private albergue.

Oh, Elena! I was excited and started to write a reply to you...
"Lucky you to have reservations at Ultreia! I love it there! :)"
Then I noticed that the Ultreia Hostel you made reservations with is (I think) in Portomarin!
The Ultreia albergue I love is in Arzua... http://albergueultreia.com/en/como-llegar.php
Their website says they take reservations and are open all year long.
That would solve your Ribadiso problem, if you walk a few more kilometres past there to Arzua!
I see from your other conversation thread that you plan to walk from Sarria to Santiago.
This is easier because you have less towns to worry about finding a place to stay in!
I've walked the Camino Frances three times now, twice in September-October.
I've never had to worry about finding a place to stay.
Only once did I make a reservation, the first year I walked, because of knee pain.
I wanted to be sure I could stop walking early that day!
But there were still empty beds that night, the albergue wasn't full.
Friends of mine stayed at a private hostel in Pedrouzo in 2011.
I am sure you'll be able to find somewhere to stay there in town.
The Camino really does provide everything you need, often in beautiful and surprising ways.
By the way, I got bitten by bed bugs at one of the three places in Palas de Rei that you mentioned.
Don't feel too badly that they are closed in November. ;)
You'll be all right, and as someone else mentioned...
Perhaps part of your Camino journey will be to let go and allow, without as much planning as you think you need.
Wishing you a wonderful blessed journey!!
Buen Camino!
Rachel/Caminoheart :)

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
You will find accommodation of one type or the other in the main towns between Sarria and Santiago: Portomarín, Palas de Rei, Melide, O Pedrouzo/Arca.
The eventual host in each town will be able to inform you of the availability situation in your next destination(s), if not any in-between places. Consider that you can always use some public transport along the way should you need to move distances. :cool:

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Elena,

Fraluchi has nicely summarized your situation. Perhaps once you have a reservation in Sarria you can relax and 'let it be'. Here are two further stops to consider.

Just east of Sarria a very nice private albergue is Paloma y Lena; they have cozy small dorms, some private rooms, and GREAT food. See >>http://www.palomaylena.com/
Their email is palomaylena@gmail.com

Further along the camino and slightly east of Palas de Rei the hotel/restaurant, La Cabana has special room prices for pilgrims, an excellent daily menu and a great bar on their wide verandah with free WiFi. I have never stayed here but ALWAYS enjoy their food. See >> http://www.complejolacabana.com/

Buen Camino,

Margaret Meredith

Elena,

Fraluchi has nicely summarized your situation. Perhaps once you have a reservation in Sarria you can relax and 'let it be'. Here are two further stops to consider.

Just east of Sarria a very nice private albergue is Paloma y Lena; they have cozy small dorms, some private rooms, and GREAT food. See >>http://www.palomaylena.com/
Their email is palomaylena@gmail.com

Further along the camino and slightly east of Palas de Rei the hotel/restaurant, La Cabana has special room prices for pilgrims, an excellent daily menu and a great bar on their wide verandah with free WiFi. I have never stayed here but ALWAYS enjoy their food. See >> http://www.complejolacabana.com/

Buen Camino,

Margaret Meredith

Hi Guys,
Thank you very much for great replies and good humor:) I will try to take a deep breath and “ live dangerously” :D My main concern was that everything is going to be closed in November. I will do more research on the websites provided for accommodations. Thank you very much. I feel better now:)
Elena

The Camino provides. You´ll find accommodation . Enjoy the walk.:)

Buen Camino!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
@ElenaR

Well, I don't know if that's really an abundance, but thanks anyway. It is wise to act as falcon269 recommend that is to call in advance to check for availability and make reservation. Wish you all the best on your Camino!!!

Ultreia!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back