• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Where to sleep in Zarautz

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I stayed there in 2012. Only one place available and that's a huge Youth hostel. Top of my head it is near where you depart Zarautz.

Walk as if you are leaving Zarautz, then at the end of Zarautz there will be a climb up the hill. Just before the climb there is a main road. Follow the road (away from the beach). It looks like it's going nowhere and you can't see much from the winding road but have faith, 400 meters or so down the road you will see a modern building that looks like a hospital (the youth hostel is huge with lots of facilities). I even have a room all to myself where it normally host 7-8 people.

I stayed there in 2012. Only one place available and that's a huge Youth hostel. Top of my head it is near where you depart Zarautz.

Walk as if you are leaving Zarautz, then at the end of Zarautz there will be a climb up the hill. Just before the climb there is a main road. Follow the road (away from the beach). It looks like it's going nowhere and you can't see much from the winding road but have faith, 400 meters or so down the road you will see a modern building that looks like a hospital (the youth hostel is huge with lots of facilities). I even have a room all to myself where it normally host 7-8 people.
Thank you SO much. Very helpful!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The youth hostel was closed this time last year and I think shefollowsshells didn't find it open either a couple of days ago. She has just posted that there is pilgrim accommodation for 5 euros at the campsite. This was open last year as well. I'm pretty sure it's at the start of town, around 15/20 mins walk before you get to the centre.
Last year we wandered around and didn't find anything, although a couple of others got shared apartments that were about €55. We eventually walked on 8km to Akzizu to the hostal there which was very nice (€15 for a bed) and cooked an excellent pilgrim meal for us.

Hotel Norte. I stayed there June last year. I forget the cost. Check with the tourist info office.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
The youth hostel was closed this time last year and I think shefollowsshells didn't find it open either a couple of days ago. She has just posted that there is pilgrim accommodation for 5 euros at the campsite. This was open last year as well. I'm pretty sure it's at the start of town, around 15/20 mins walk before you get to the centre.
Last year we wandered around and didn't find anything, although a couple of others got shared apartments that were about €55. We eventually walked on 8km to Akzizu to the hostal there which was very nice (€15 for a bed) and cooked an excellent pilgrim meal for us.

Hey guys having huge trouble posting to site sometimes it does even give me the option to post a thread.
Hoped to post daily but lost momentum when I cant or get a failure message.
I was heading to the youth hostel that day, it might have been open BUT thought I had shared the camoground was and my pension find.....
Anywho the pension idea hit me as I walked to hostel....glad it did:)

Last edited:

Awesone advicd, so glad I took it. This is the first night I dont have to sleep in a room full of snoring men, AND I get thr whole room to myself! I think a good night's sleep is long overdue :) thanks for the advice!

Glad you have the same experience as me. Yes, it was a well deserved rest as the following days will get tougher.

Not sure which route you will be going by (more coastal to Ribadeo or Oviedo to Camino Primitivo). If you are on the coastal route you can't miss the albergue 12 km before Ribadeo. It's right by the sea but you need to follow the road a bit (cyclist path) to Tapia de Casariego. Stay in the upper bunk and you can sleep with the sound of the ocean.

http://camino.wificat.com/2012/05/day-23-tapia-de-casariego.html

Check out more posts from my blog, specifically the railroad shortcut where you can save 7 km by not having to walk downstream and up again.

Buen Camino.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Will be there tomorrow. Does anyone have recommendations on where to stay? Thanks!

Wish I had gotten to wifi sooner. I would recommend you stay in Orio. A very nice albergue. Clean, good Hospitalera, will cook dinner for you. Cost 10 euro's plus 10 euro's for dinner. Highly recommend.

Last edited:
I LOVED that town! I wish I had spent more time there today but somehow decided only to stick around long enough to finish my bocadillo and have a cup of cafe con leche. Does anyone have advice on my day tomorrow? Im going from zarautz to deba. Wondering if I should take the costal route or the inland route?

I LOVED that town! I wish I had spent more time there today but somehow decided only to stick around long enough to finish my bocadillo and have a cup of cafe con leche. Does anyone have advice on my day tomorrow? Im going from zarautz to deba. Wondering if I should take the costal route or the inland route?
You cant take the coastal route for those first few km.....there will be signs...it is closed off for peds due to road construction.
I have HUGE advice....don't dare miss Getaria!
The whole walk is difficult but stunning!
The Deba auberge was in off season mode when I was there, might have changed as of the first but I dont think so.
I was number 8 of 8 who could stay there....it resembled a broom closet BUT was grateful for the bed and the police officer who gave me my key. long story but one gal went there without checking in and was actually in my bed.
IF I did not get a bed there I would have felt comfortable sleeping out there near the make shift auberge on the beach I THINK (easier said then done).....

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
So I should take the other route to begin with then. At some point will I be able to cross over to be on yhe "lighter" coastal route?
Well the coastal is closed ....so not certain you have a choice....
Specifics I did not note but think in Getaria they meet up...
I huffed it and puffed it BUT the walk was worth its weight in Gold....

Well the coastal is closed ....so not certain you have a choice....
Specifics I did not note but think in Getaria they meet up...
I huffed it and puffed it BUT the walk was worth its weight in Gold....
Ah this is tough to hear! I was hoping to take it easy tomorrow since stage 4 seems to be exhausting (big mountain to walk over?) Ok, inland route it is!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Eli_marie:

You actually can take the coastal route. The workers will let you pass. They are just working on a small section of pavers. It is a beautiful walk.

The Albergue in Deba is the smallest and worst Albergue I have stayed in. Not sure what other options there are. The walk from Deba to Marinka, for me, was the toughest so far. Leaving Deba after you cross the bridge and start up the hill, the path will turn to dirt and then narrow a bit further on. The path has eroded in two places and it helps to hold the fence when passing. Shortly after that you will come to a paved road. After 50 meters you will see several signs on the right side of the road. Most painted black. Leave the road and go left up the hill. You will come to a fork in the path. Stay to the right. Most of the marking have been blacked. In a short while, you will pass buy a home with rabbits and geese. Continue on until you come to a paved road. Go straight across the road and up the hill. Eventually you will come to the Ermita ....... .........there is a fountain there. A short ways from there you will reach Olatz(sp.) there is an Albergue on the left. Get whatever you need. You have 16 km's to go and only one more tavern to pass by the church in Olatz. It was closed when I passed it at 10:45.

When you get to Marinka there is a good hostel. It is twelve Euro plus nine euro for dinner. Very clean nice place and good food. Run by a woman named Maria Luisa. I will try to find the name and post later. Good luck sounds as if you are doing well.

Ultreya,
Joe

Eli_marie:

You actually can take the coastal route. The workers will let you pass. They are just working on a small section of pavers. It is a beautiful walk.

The Albergue in Deba is the smallest and worst Albergue I have stayed in. Not sure what other options there are. The walk from Deba to Marinka, for me, was the toughest so far. Leaving Deba after you cross the bridge and start up the hill, the path will turn to dirt and then narrow a bit further on. The path has eroded in two places and it helps to hold the fence when passing. Shortly after that you will come to a paved road. After 50 meters you will see several signs on the right side of the road. Most painted black. Leave the road and go left up the hill. You will come to a fork in the path. Stay to the right. Most of the marking have been blacked. In a short while, you will pass buy a home with rabbits and geese. Continue on until you come to a paved road. Go straight across the road and up the hill. Eventually you will come to the Ermita ....... .........there is a fountain there. A short ways from there you will reach Olatz(sp.) there is an Albergue on the left. Get whatever you need. You have 16 km's to go and only one more tavern to pass by the church in Olatz. It was closed when I passed it at 10:45.

When you get to Marinka there is a good hostel. It is twelve Euro plus nine euro for dinner. Very clean nice place and good food. Run by a woman named Maria Luisa. I will try to find the name and post later. Good luck sounds as if you are doing well.

Ultreya,
Joe
Joe the advice for tomorrow after deba is very helpful! And I agree, todays walk to deba was by far the most challanging (mentally and physically.) My advice is stay on the Camino route and avoid the GR-121. It is definitely NOT 7km. The views were stunning but i dont think I was physically ready to take on a hike like that one.

Again, I completely agree with yoh: whats up with this albergue in deba! I am currently sitting in the park just outside stretching a little since there is little to no space in there. Hope to get a good nights sleep before tomorrow's long adventure.

Please post the name of the hostel in Markina when you have a chance! Im sure tomorrow id like to get a decents nights sleep !

Thanks again joe :)

Eli

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Joe the advice for tomorrow after deba is very helpful! And I agree, todays walk to deba was by far the most challanging (mentally and physically.) My advice is stay on the Camino route and avoid the GR-121. It is definitely NOT 7km. The views were stunning but i dont think I was physically ready to take on a hike like that one.

Again, I completely agree with yoh: whats up with this albergue in deba! I am currently sitting in the park just outside stretching a little since there is little to no space in there. Hope to get a good nights sleep before tomorrow's long adventure.

Please post the name of the hostel in Markina when you have a chance! Im sure tomorrow id like to get a decents nights sleep !

Thanks again joe :)

Eli

The name of the bar is

PITIS
Karmengo plaza #11
Telephone (+34) 657727824

I can post each place I stay if you want and I have wifi. My number is (+34) 692577471 if you want to text or call.

Joe

Eli:

Deba to Markena is, IMO, more challenging. Markena to Gernika is also quite tough. There are a couple of road detours offered. I would suggest you take them. We did not take the first one and had a very difficult downhill slog on a, imo, dangerous path. Also near the end there are several fallen trees you have to crawl over or under.

Good luck.
Joe

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Glad you have a nice rest day in Zarutz. Did mention some tough days after. To Deba was the worse. In 2012 I had to stay on a makeshift albergue (abandon school) up on the hill.

Like Joe says it will get better after Guernika. I had problem with lodging after Guernika as the albergue was closed between Guernika and Bilbao. I heard some pilgrims rough it out in a sheltered chapel porch. I walked to the town before Bilbao and share a hotel room with 2 other German pilgrims which wasn't too bad after sharing the cost and a little luxury certainly help boost the spirit entering Bilbao.

Guerkina is a place I am looking forward to them! I am lying in bed mentally preparing myself for the walk I have ahead of me today. Off to Makina!

Hi Eli Marie hope you get this in time...I was just looking at my notes from 2009 and we didnt stay at the Youth Hostel in Guernika as it seemed at bit out of town so we walked into the centre We stayed at Hotel Bolina (not sure of address) which was 40 E a double BUT the pilgrim dinner then at 6E was one of the best meals ever..so worth it for the food. PS we got a bit lost after Guernika because we werent paying attention! Cheers Jill

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Eli:

You will enjoy your stay in Markina at PITIS. Maria Luisa is really nice.

I stayed at the youth hostel in Gernika. From the church, entering Gernika, you go to the right down a winding road. When you get to the bottom you will see a Farmacia. Go to the right from there about 50 meters and you will find the Youth Hostel (21.8) unless you are under 25, then 18 euro's. Very clean and they have a breakfast of sort. Wifi also but only downstairs. Just leaving going to try and make Bilbao tonight.

Ultreya,
Joe

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Joe, how was the walk to bilbao? It seems like quite the treck for one day!
I stopped in Zamudio. Stayed in a hotel "Aisia". There is also a college that offers rooms. They are both a bit off Piste. If you want I will try to direct you. Today I hope to walk to Potugalete.. How was your walk yesterday. Everything go ok?

Joe

I stopped in Zamudio. Stayed in a hotel "Aisia". There is also a college that offers rooms. They are both a bit off Piste. If you want I will try to direct you. Today I hope to walk to Potugalete.. How was your walk yesterday. Everything go ok?

Joe

Joe, the albergue in Potugalete is not opened yet. 2012 I stayed at the hostel near the central. Can't remember the name but it was only 16 euros with shared bathroom. At least I have the room all to myself.

I decided to get there from Bilbao by walking along the waterway (opposite the Guggenheim) on the right. There is an interesting cable system moving cars and people across the waterway. If you do remember not to enter the pier as it is a dead end.

There's a very nice albergue in Eskarika. It's about 10km past Gernika. Opened last ear and not mentioned in a lot of guidebooks. Makes the next day to Bilbao a wee bit more manageable.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Joe
The walk yesterday was actually really enjoyable. I think it was due to the company of 3 great french men. We dont speak the same language but get along perfectly. Im having a hard time with me feet. No blisters, but thinking I need to buy some inserts!

Im having a hard time with me feet.
They are not accustomed to walking every day with the extra weight of a pack. Try ice packs, your favorite NSAID, regular rests, and be sure your pack is as light as it can be. There is no guarantee that they will get much better, and inserts at this point might change your body mechanics enough to make it worse! You may have to suffer a bit (see other threads to find out if that makes you "more of a pilgrim"), and push through the pain. Be careful that persistence does not cause you to get a real injury, like tendonitis. Trying to keep up with new friends can lead you to do too much, and may end your walk. You mentioned in an earlier thread that this is your first camino, so you may not know when you have reached your limit, and you really do need to stay below that limit. If you push past it, something may "break."

Buen camino. Animo!

Joe, the albergue in Potugalete is not opened yet. 2012 I stayed at the hostel near the central. Can't remember the name but it was only 16 euros with shared bathroom. At least I have the room all to myself.

I decided to get there from Bilbao by walking along the waterway (opposite the Guggenheim) on the right. There is an interesting cable system moving cars and people across the waterway. If you do remember not to enter the pier as it is a dead end.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

Evanlow:

Walked the same route along the North side of the river and took the Air ferry (La Puente Colgada). Staying in same hostel.

Ultreya,
Joe

Joe,

You will enjoy the cyclist/pedestrian path tomorrow to La Arena (coast) and lovely walk along the edge. Your lodging would a challenge. No albergue in Onton and you have to detour a few km inland to find a place to stay (which kinda suck). If you chose this route you will have to walk the inland path (much longer) to Castro Urdiales the following day.

Otherwise in Onton try go to the right up the hill following the arrows for the bicycle path. Have a refresher at the gas station on top and quickly make you way down the slip road to Mioño. Hopefully you can arrive there around 2-3 pm and have your lunch. Ask the locals there for a mountain tunnel shortcut to Castro Urdiales that will shave a few km from your walk. Interesting tunnel for cyclist/pedestrian. Don't take too long to the albergue as it is small (I had to sleep on the kitchen floor).

http://camino.wificat.com/2012/05/day-8-miono_7430.html

You can also try out Hotel Zaragoza Plaza. I sayed there last year and I was very happy. It is next to the beach and everything. I booked it from this site as they had a discount on the hotel room.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Eli_marie:

Ultreya,
Joe

Joe, I don't know when you were in Deba, but the albergue that uses the top floors of the train station is new, impeccable and has great beds. Did you perhaps stay elsewhere? Oh, and their drier has got to be the best on any Camino: 2 Euros for 40 minutes of drying and clothes were done in 15!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Will be there tomorrow. Does anyone have recommendations on where to stay? Thanks!
You are probably long past Zarautz by now, but there's a new place called Zarautz Hostel on the floors above the gas station as you arrive into town. Expensice (25E) but very pretty and clean. Lovely bathroom! It caters to surfers also.

Joe, I don't know when you were in Deba, but the albergue that uses the top floors of the train station is new, impeccable and has great beds. Did you perhaps stay elsewhere? Oh, and their drier has got to be the best on any Camino: 2 Euros for 40 minutes of drying and clothes were done in 15!

Anemone:

Good morning. They have two Albergues in Deba. The main season one and the off season. I walked through Deba in early April (3rd or 4th) and they were still putting Pilgrims in the Albergue by the train tracks. It is very small with two triple bunks a double and a tiny bathroom. No kitchen or other facilities. This place was tiny and not well maintained. During the more popular season they have a larger Albergue. I am happy to hear your experience was wonderful. I was grateful for the bed and just reporting conditions for Pilgrims behind me.

Ultreya,
Joe

Anemone:

Good morning. They have two Albergues in Deba. The main season one and the off season. I walked through Deba in early April (3rd or 4th) and they were still putting Pilgrims in the Albergue by the train tracks. It is very small with two triple bunks a double and a tiny bathroom. No kitchen or other facilities. This place was tiny and not well maintained. During the more popular season they have a larger Albergue. I am happy to hear your experience was wonderful. I was grateful for the bed and just reporting conditions for Pilgrims behind me.

Ultreya,
Joe

Sorry to contradict you Joe.

According to a guide pubished in May of 2014, after you passed through Deba, they opened another albergue. It opened in June Iof 2014, so you would have missed it. It is also open all year. Here is what another site has to say: http://caminodesantiago.consumer.es/albergue-de-deba

Albergues are popping up regularly and it's important to keep informed, unless you are willing to 'wing it' on the Camino, something I envy those who do it for. And a reason the person who asked about where to open an Albergue should not be thinking about what is there now, but look at other criteria.

The albergue above the train station has 56 beds, costs 5 euros. You get the keys at the tourist info office. Each person gets a keyu. No kitchen, super powerful drier.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
We arrived in Deba on 22nd May at 230 to find the Turismo closed until 4pm. Something we didn't know so beware! Pouring with rain so spent the time in the Playa Bar.
Turismo then found us a room at Pension Zumardi across the park. Three of us squashed into a double room but it was clean and comfortable.
Albergue at the station was not yet open..

In Zarautz after a long walk through town looking for accommodation we stayed in the Youth Hostel .Clean and spacious, we shared a 5 bed room with bathroom for 22E each. Breakfast was included but as most of us were leaving before this we were given bags of goodies and juice box to takeaway.Excellent!

Hey Eli, there is a surf house just behind Zarautz called san Sebastian surf camp. they pick you up from Zarautz and take you to the accommodation about 10 mins away. nice house/hostel with travellers, surf lessons, food and hostel beds. they do 35 eur bed, dinner and breakfast for camino walkers and drop you back to Zarautz in the morning to continue your walk. would highly recommend. to book you can call +34 634 642 420

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hey Eli, there is a surf house just behind Zarautz called san Sebastian surf camp. they pick you up from Zarautz and take you to the accommodation about 10 mins away. nice house/hostel with travellers, surf lessons, food and hostel beds. they do 35 eur bed, dinner and breakfast for camino walkers and drop you back to Zarautz in the morning to continue your walk. would highly recommend. to book you can call +34 634 642 420
I'm sure that this information will be useful to other pilgrims, but Eli posted over 4 years ago. ;)

Most read last week in this forum

I walked the Camino Francés in Octobee 2022, from Villafranca del Bierzo to Santiago de Compostela, and loved it. I would like to walk the Camino del Norte as I'm drawn to the coast, culture and...
Hello everyone. I know that pre-booking accommodation has been discussed many, many times, so apologies but I wanted to be quite specific. We are walking from Irún to Bilbao in the first week of...
Considering that we were dipping ourselves in the sea in beautiful Zarautz yesterday evening it is certainly a change in weather today, however, that has not dampened our excitement of the walk...
Hello! I am visiting Northern Spain for the first time this June and would am planning on hiking a small segment of the Camino. I've done a little research and decided to hike between Zarautz and...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.