• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Where to sleep on Camino Ingles?

Saisainita

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino ingles
Hey!

I am planing to go Camino Ingles. It would be first time to walk pilgrims way. I am gonna walk from Ferrol to Santiago. I am planing to do it in 6 days. The biggest question where to sleep on the way. In Ferrol and Santiago I am planing to book hotels, but on the way I saw I could stay in Albergues. Just I red they accept just pilgrims and they don't accept bookings. So how it works? How I would need to prove that I am walking this pilgrim way and is it usually happens that then you go there they say 'sorry, we don't have any beds left' and if they say so, what then should I do?

Thank you in advance for your help!

Bea

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
You show that you are a pilgrim by having a credencial - the "pilgrim passport" - which has your name and the date you started walking written in it. This is then stamped at each albergue you stay in and other places along the route. If you want to receive the Compostela certificate when you arrive in Santiago you will need to have your credencial stamped at least twice each day. This is not difficult to do: many bars, shops and other businesses along the route have a sello or stamp and will mark your credencial for you. I do not know where you can find a credencial in Ferrol as the tourist office there seems to work limited hours. It is possible to order one online from Ivar who runs this forum or from the national Santiago pilgrims' association in your home country.

Hey!

I am planing to go Camino Ingles. It would be first time to walk pilgrims way. I am gonna walk from Ferrol to Santiago. I am planing to do it in 6 days. The biggest question where to sleep on the way. In Ferrol and Santiago I am planing to book hotels, but on the way I saw I could stay in Albergues. Just I red they accept just pilgrims and they don't accept bookings. So how it works? How I would need to prove that I am walking this pilgrim way and is it usually happens that then you go there they say 'sorry, we don't have any beds left' and if they say so, what then should I do?

Thank you in advance for your help!

Bea

Hi and welcome.

Just show your credencial in the albergues. I don't know where you live but you can buy it at your national/ local confraternity of St James or you could buy it here online through Ivar's shop.
The Gronze website is a good source for distances and lodgings.

https://www.gronze.com/camino-ingles

Enjoy the beautiful Camino Ingles.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
You show that you are a pilgrim by having a credencial - the "pilgrim passport" - which has your name and the date you started walking written in it. This is then stamped at each albergue you stay in and other places along the route. If you want to receive the Compostela certificate when you arrive in Santiago you will need to have your credencial stamped at least twice each day. This is not difficult to do: many bars, shops and other businesses along the route have a sello or stamp and will mark your credencial for you. I do not know where you can find a credencial in Ferrol as the tourist office there seems to work limited hours. It is possible to order one online from Ivar who runs this forum or from the national Santiago pilgrims' association in your home country.

Seems to be a pilgrim's office now in Ferrol.
http://www.ferrol360.es/la-nueva-of...e-inaugura-la-proxima-semana-en-ferrol-vello/

And I know that a fellow pilgrim in 2014 got his credencial at the Cathedral in Ferrol.

Hi Bea

All the information you need is in the Guide published by the Confraternity of Saint James.
You can get a print copy here https://www.csj.org.uk/product/the-camino-ingles/ or a copy for your Kindle here:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XT3H886/?tag=casaivar02-20

If you are leaving from Ferrol there is a Pilgrims Office where you can get a credencial and also information about the route. You can also get a credencial at the cathedral.

There are Pilgrim Albergues along this route and they are listed in the guide - there you can sleep in Youth Hostel style accommodation with toilets and showers for 6 euros. You must have a sleeping bag or sleeping bag liner with you.

To use the albergues and to get the Compostela certificate in Santiago you need to have a Pilgrim Passport or Credencial - you get this stamped at least twice a day - usually where you sleep and one other place where example where you stop for coffee. Stamps are not difficult to obtain.

Pilgrim Albergues - how they work? They work on the simple principle of first come first served. When pilgrims arrive they are allocated a bed by the person in charge (hosptialero/a) If there are more pilgrims than beds you need to use a hostel or hotel - NB this is happening more and more on the Camino Ingles as pilgrim numbers have increased dramatically. The guide lists the alternative accommodation which is quite economical - the hospitaleros are generally helpful in this regard also.

I've walked this route many times - don't hesitate to message or email if you have any questions I can help with.

Buen camino

John

Last edited:
Hi
We walked the Camino Ingles in late October 2014.
In Ferrol we slept in a Hotel close to the busstation (Coming from SDC by bus) and slept in Albergues.
There is one albergue de xunta at the promenade in Pontedeume. It is newly refurbished, clean, no kitchen as far as I remember, and it is just a few 50-100m of the bridge wich gave the city the name. There is no hostelero and one needs to call a mobile phone number posted at the door. The hostelero will come, let you in. Takes your details and gives you a key. The key will be dropped in the letter box as you leave in the morning. The price was just five or six Euro. BUT he will not come after 19:00 (The poster at the door says so, and we saw him -not- coming later). But there are a number of other accomodationsin town.
As to our knowledge there is no official albergue de xunta in Sigüeiro, the last stage? before SDC but a reasonable cheap Hotel/Hotel in centre of town.

I as well used the Guide published by the Confraternity of Saint James. But the way is well marked, and the guidebook in my opinion contains too many details
(i felt that it tells you as to where turn left or right. But if you read it as you go you wont see the Camino) - but contains valuable information about accomodation and more

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The clear instructions are what we like about the guide. If we missed an arrow then we could check the guide. We looked it over at times. No need to live with our noses in it. :)

Most read last week in this forum

Hi, finally plans for Camino Ingles become real, some accomodations, booked already, checking flights, etc..., starting 02june :) We are taking it slow, 8 days on the road, below are our stages...
We lost a set of black Leki trekking poles today between Ferrol and Neda just past the Monastario de San Martino. We sat down for a rest near the top of the hill amidst the houses. The poles were...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.