• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Where to spend a relaxing week post Camino

Cbok82

Time of past OR future Camino
September 18
So I walked the last 100km from Sarria with a friend in 2018 and then walked from St Jean PDP to Pamplona with my sister in 2019. I had planned to go back and walk another section this year, but we all know too well why that didn't happen 🙄
My new plan, Covid permitting of course, is to return to the last 100km with my Husband and 2 children aged 12 and 9. I'm guessing we will book this very lastminute for July sometime if it is possible.
The plan is to spend 5/6 days walking, spend a night or 2 in Santiago at the end and then book a private villa somewhere for a week of relaxation/ to keep the kids happy!!
So my question is, has anyone done something similar? Or does anyone have any recommendations as to where we should spend this week? Preferably anywhere that isn't super tacky touristy 😬
Thanks

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I spent a few days in A Coruña after my Camino a few years ago. There are beautiful beaches and tons to do there, including a outdoor spherical glass funicular! There are also several streets with lively tapas bars, a long paseo maritimo, sculpture garden the Tower of Hercules lighthouse, an aquarium and many other attractions.

592-Ascensor.jpgtower of hercules.jpg

Hello, I too always spend some extra time at the end of a camino. The nice thing is how cheap it is to fly around Europe once you're there (I'm from Canada). There are a lot of options but keeping a 9 & 12 year old happy is a big part of the equation so some places I enjoy at my age won't be too interesting for long to your kids. Places that would work and have lots to see and do for all ages are; Barcelona-great city, good priced AirB&B, the city which is amazing also has great beaches and lots of other sites nearby. San Sebastian-great beaches, food, wine, very walkable. Malta-castles, beaches, ruins, very interesting place for all ages. Rome, London, Venice, Paris, well because they are Rome London and Paris especially if you have never been there before. I always use AirBB or VRBO/Homeaway, cheaper, more room, cooking facilities so you can enjoy the local markets and save some money

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I spent a few days in A Coruña after my Camino a few years ago. There are beautiful beaches and tons to do there, including a outdoor spherical glass funicular! There are also several streets with lively tapas bars, a long paseo maritimo, sculpture garden the Tower of Hercules lighthouse, an aquarium and many other attractions.

View attachment 88805View attachment 88804
Your suggestion sounds terrific!

A Coruna and San Sebastian sound perfect. We've done Barcelona, London and Paris and we also did Lake Garda 2 years in a row. Not quite Rome I know. I guess we just love travelling to different places. I want the kids to experience as many different places as possible. There's not much available in those 2 destinations on Air bnb just yet but I will definitely be researching over the next while.
Thankyou!!

Sadly, I spent 2 miserable days in A Coruña after completing the CF the last couple days in June 2017 as a huge storm hit Galicia. It does look like a nice place to wind down, weather permitting. San Sebastián is very nice, great pintxos too. If you want something more subdued, Orio is very nice but quiet.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I couldnt recommend pontevedra enough. Its a class small city, and within 10 km (short car ride or local bus) of excellent beaches at mogor and Areas. After camino portugues last year i stayed with my cousin, her husband and their two kids, 10 and 13 who rented an apartment there for a month. They say its the most pedestrian friendly small city in Europe, kids loved it,. off they would go on their own to the nearby square or to local creperie as parents became friends with the owners.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Depending on WHAT you and your kids like to do there are plenty of possibilities.
We did rent a car after the camino and traveled Galicia for a week. Fisterra and Muxia where just as lovely as A Coruna and the Isla de Arousa. We didnt make it to Pontevedra, but that city is usually higly recommended. Additionaly I've been told that Ribeira Sacra is a lovely place for people that like wine and nature.

Another Option would be to take the bus to Porto (usually taking rental cars across borders makes them reaallly expensive) and explore the city for a day or three.
Just as well, Madrid can be reached by train or car (would not like to drive in that town) in a couple of hours.

And of course you can take a flight to some other quite nice places, but personally, i would prefer the locations that are closer by.

After one of our caminos, we rented a car and drove all over Portugal to Penalba national park, the Douro river valley wine country, the coasts, Tomar, Braga, Coimbra, etc. and ended by staying in Marvao-a tiny hilltop village (picture), etc. Lots to see by car!
Screenshot_20201207-072007~2.png

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Picos de Europa national park in Asturias....hidden gem. Majestic salmon rivers, 6000 ft ‘Tolkeinesque’ peaks, beautiful towns and villages, rich history and culture. Take a look at the town of Cangas de Onis in the centre of the park.....awesome area !

We spent some time in Cambados which is about an 1 1/2 hours drive south west of Santiago de Compostela.

Here is a hyperlink to Galacian tourism page with an itinerary etc.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Further to my earlier post.....I have found a few photos of the Picos de Europa for inspiration.

Attachments

• Picos de Europa.jpeg
    Picos de Europa.jpeg
    442.4 KB · Views: 31
  • Picos de Europa1.jpeg
    Picos de Europa1.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 21
  • Picos de Europa 2.jpeg
    Picos de Europa 2.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 20
  • Picos de europa 3.jpeg
    Picos de europa 3.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 20
  • Picos de Europa 4.jpeg
    Picos de Europa 4.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 22
  • Picos de Europa 5.jpeg
    Picos de Europa 5.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 24
Forget about a Villa. What could be more relaxing than walking from Santiago to Muxia to Finnesteria?
Great scenery, wonderful being outdoors and you would have alot more tranquility and far less tourism than you have from Sarria to Santiago.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Loving all these suggestions. Definitely some food for thought.
Continuing the walk to Muxia would be fantastic but I feel that 5 days walking is enough for the kids and so the plan is to reward or should I say bribe them? 😂 with the notion of a villa and private pool for a week when we finish. And I cant say I'm not loving the idea myself 😊

So I walked the last 100km from Sarria with a friend in 2018 and then walked from St Jean PDP to Pamplona with my sister in 2019. I had planned to go back and walk another section this year, but we all know too well why that didn't happen 🙄
My new plan, Covid permitting of course, is to return to the last 100km with my Husband and 2 children aged 12 and 9. I'm guessing we will book this very lastminute for July sometime if it is possible.
The plan is to spend 5/6 days walking, spend a night or 2 in Santiago at the end and then book a private villa somewhere for a week of relaxation/ to keep the kids happy!!
So my question is, has anyone done something similar? Or does anyone have any recommendations as to where we should spend this week? Preferably anywhere that isn't super tacky touristy 😬
Thanks

My daughter and I went to stay in Madrid at the end of our Camino. Amazing place and not at all tacky.
There is a train from Santiago that takes just under 5 hours.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
After 2 of our caminos we took the train from Santiago to Vigo (lots to do there, beautiful beaches for children and adults alike). We took the ferry across to Cangas (15 minutes) where we rented an Air BnB. Small town, beautiful beaches, hikes (if you want more ups and downs) and later took the ferry to islas Cies - the island national park for sandy beaches, hikes, camping, etc. Lots to do just a short trip from Santiago, but I am biased!

Thanks
I had five extra days at the end. Bus to Salamanca and spent a day, next day Madrid, next day Toledo, next day Segovia. back to Madrid. Yes lots of tourist stuff but very comfortable bus rides and very decent accommodations, no hostels or alburges. Madrid was a bit pricey but limited my time there.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Picos de Europa national park in Asturias....hidden gem. Majestic salmon rivers, 6000 ft ‘Tolkeinesque’ peaks, beautiful towns and villages, rich history and culture. Take a look at the town of Cangas de Onis in the centre of the park.....awesome area !
I well remember a trip to the Picos de Europa in 1989, the same year as my first Camino. While the scenery was nice, what I remember most is our visit to the village of Barcena Mayor on the same trip and the delicious lunch we had there.

I am going to confuse you even more with yet another option. Last year we walked the Camino Litoral and passed through the seaside town of Baiona. We didn't stay there and only stopped long enough to take some photographs, have a bocadillo lunch in a park beside the tourist office, and chat with a man who once set out to walk from Santiago to Cadiz but was so taken by Seville that he stopped walking and stayed there for the next 20 years.

We found Baiona so enchanting and fascinating that we agreed we would have to return to see it properly. As we neared the end of the town we took a left turn and were stopped by a couple of similar vintage to ourselves who wanted to know if we were walking the Camino. It turned out that they were from Dublin and that they had walked the Camino Litoral the previous year, had fallen in love with Baiona and vowed to return to see it properly. This was them living their dream and they walked along with us for the next 30 minutes or so.

With Covid we haven't been able to return to Baiona but that would be my recommendation. It is a most attractive town with sheltered sandy beaches, an ancient castle with extensive fortifications and three towers, archaeological remains dating from Roman times and access to the Cies Islands Nature Reserve. You might have to book that in advance.

Someone else recommended Pontevedra and I wouldn't argue with that. We have stayed there twice, on two different Caminos, and were very impressed. The lack of cars, the ancient buildings, and families strolling through the streets and plazas, or seated outside bars and cafes, create a special atmosphere.

Salamanca was also mentioned and it is indeed a magnificent city which everyone should visit at least once.

I have already told the story of the man who visited Seville and stayed for 20 years, which is perhaps the ultimate accolade.

The problem is that when it comes to Spain and Portugal you could land in any one of hundreds of towns and villages, that you've never heard of before, and feel you've discovered yet another jewel.

Over the past 10 years the Camino has allowed us to discover towns such as Merida, Caceres, Ciudad Rodrigo, Zamora, Almeida, Trancoso, Lamego, Amarante, Guimares, Braga, Ourense, Leon, Astorga, and Oviedo. None of these names meant anything to me before 2010 but I would love to have the opportunity to return to any one of them and explore it further. The difficulty is that I have yet to visit La Coruna, Avila, Zaragoza, Segovia, Valladolid, ,Bilbao, Granada and Valencia, and no doubt many other hidden gems whose names I have yet to hear.

I made my suggestion of A Coruña for several reasons:
I loved it there
It's a good sized city, but not too big, especially if you stay in the old town area, with lots to do to entertain a 9 and 12 year old.
I know that many adults just want to go somewhere and chill for a week, but if I was going with kids, I would want to make sure that there are a variety of activities for them.
Of course there are lots of other cities in Spain and Portugal that fit that definition.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
For a very special experience, i recommend going to A Coruna at San Juan which is held on the summer solstice. The main beach of the town will be covered in people bbqing, drinking, partying and in the night, hundreds if not thousands of bonfires are lit. Theres also plenty of side events. Plus: Fireworks.
Theres lots of reports on google, one example is this: https://www.spain.info/en/calendar/bonfires-san-juan-a-coruna/

However: I do not recommend this with kids or if you are "security concious". Lots of young people, lots of drinking, lots of open fire (and very few public toilets) are not for everyones taste.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
After one of our caminos, we rented a car and drove all over Portugal to Penalba national park, the Douro river valley wine country, the coasts, Tomar, Braga, Coimbra, etc. and ended by staying in Marvao-a tiny hilltop village (picture), etc. Lots to see by car!
View attachment 88833
hey CC - while this is definitely cool, I am not convinced that "driving all over Portugal" is spending a relaxing week ;)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thanks
Hello Cbok82, I walked the Camino Frances with my husband and I opted to stay in Santiago a whole rainy week! However, with a grandchild aged 12 we spent a wonderful 2+ weeks in Barcelona and up the coast - Tossa de Mar in a small hotel with a pool. There are MANY places south of Barcelona that your children will enjoy. Where are you planning on flying home from? That might impact where you might want to end up. Good luck.

I am going to confuse you even more with yet another option. Last year we walked the Camino Litoral and passed through the seaside town of Baiona. We didn't stay there and only stopped long enough to take some photographs, have a bocadillo lunch in a park beside the tourist office, and chat with a man who once set out to walk from Santiago to Cadiz but was so taken by Seville that he stopped walking and stayed there for the next 20 years.

We found Baiona so enchanting and fascinating that we agreed we would have to return to see it properly. As we neared the end of the town we took a left turn and were stopped by a couple of similar vintage to ourselves who wanted to know if we were walking the Camino. It turned out that they were from Dublin and that they had walked the Camino Litoral the previous year, had fallen in love with Baiona and vowed to return to see it properly. This was them living their dream and they walked along with us for the next 30 minutes or so.

With Covid we haven't been able to return to Baiona but that would be my recommendation. It is a most attractive town with sheltered sandy beaches, an ancient castle with extensive fortifications and three towers, archaeological remains dating from Roman times and access to the Cies Islands Nature Reserve. You might have to book that in advance.

Someone else recommended Pontevedra and I wouldn't argue with that. We have stayed there twice, on two different Caminos, and were very impressed. The lack of cars, the ancient buildings, and families strolling through the streets and plazas, or seated outside bars and cafes, create a special atmosphere.

Salamanca was also mentioned and it is indeed a magnificent city which everyone should visit at least once.

I have already told the story of the man who visited Seville and stayed for 20 years, which is perhaps the ultimate accolade.

The problem is that when it comes to Spain and Portugal you could land in any one of hundreds of towns and villages, that you've never heard of before, and feel you've discovered yet another jewel.

Over the past 10 years the Camino has allowed us to discover towns such as Merida, Caceres, Ciudad Rodrigo, Zamora, Almeida, Trancoso, Lamego, Amarante, Guimares, Braga, Ourense, Leon, Astorga, and Oviedo. None of these names meant anything to me before 2010 but I would love to have the opportunity to return to any one of them and explore it further. The difficulty is that I have yet to visit La Coruna, Avila, Zaragoza, Segovia, Valladolid, ,Bilbao, Granada and Valencia, and no doubt many other hidden gems whose names I have yet to hear.
Amazing how many pull at our hearts in Spain (and Italy!). We spent 89 days traveling throughout Spain (NOT on any Camino) and I want to go back for much more. I wish that 90 day rule was 120!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Montserrat was an easy day trip from Barcelona. We were there in time for the mass with the boys choir. The train ride was interesting. :D :cool:

My daughter and I went to stay in Madrid at the end of our Camino. Amazing place and not at all tacky.
There is a train from Santiago that takes just under 5 hours.
Madrid is a beautiful city with a lot to do for sure. My only warning was after walking over 800 kilometers on a very quiet Norte it was a shock to my senses arriving in Madrid. For me it was almost too much. I don’t know how many people may have a similar experience. I think most people would feel differently.

My husband and I spent a wonderful week in Gijón after our last Camino (spring 2019). It was near the airport we were to fly home from and we had heard some good things about it. We stayed in a nice airbnb apartment close to the downtown. Here is a blog entry I wrote with some observations about Gijón:

When we walked in 2018 we had 12 days between the end of the Camino and the flight home - so we took a 12 day cruise out of Barcelona. (remember cruises? :) On the one hand we didn't have to make any decisions or reservations or anything but, in retrospect it was too much activity too soon. There were too many people too many choices too much noise - it was all very overwhelming. So, no advice about where to go rather a suggestion that you will be in a place mentally and spiritually that you might not want to transition out of too quickly or too abruptly.

We stayed in Santiago for a few days, just soaked up the history and atmosphere, then as we were getting the ferry back to the UK, chilled out in santander doing a few walks from there, stayed near the marina

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
Today is March 21, 1024 If you’re starting El Francés around this time, be warned that quite a few stretches between Rabanal del Camino and Molinaseca are in pretty bad shape. Lots of mud, and...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back