• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Where to spend Easter on the Camino Frances?

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 2022
I’ll be arriving in Madrid March 30, 2022.I had planned to spend a few days there and/or go somewhere warm in the south(Cadiz!) to spend a few days on the beach to warm my body after a cold northern winter.☃️

But then I want to start the Camino From Roncevalles. I’m quite flexible so I’m trying to decide the best day to start. I’m thinking sometime between the April 6 and the 13th. Easter falls on April 17 this year.

Perhaps the most important thing to consider is where I would end up farther down the Camino Frances on Easter weekend? Maybe there’s a particular town that is special on Easter or a place I want to avoid. I think Easter would be a good day for a rest day, don’t you?I could plan my start date to be at a particular place.
So up to 10 to 12 days out from Roncevalles or anyplace in between?

Will the holy week (semanta semana, April 10th–18th?) before Easter typically be very busy between Roncevalles and Pamplona? I’m hoping the real busy area would be more towards Saria? I could start a few days earlier then April 6, although I wouldn’t get down to the South!

A suggestion I read in a different thread from @Oxford Alice was Santa Domingo De Calzadas. That sounds interesting. 8 Brierley stages out from Roncevalles?

My other thought is to avoid the camino accommodation crunch around Easter, and just go hide out somewhere warm in the south and start after Easter? Where would you go?

I’m hoping to not do too much booking in advance, but I think I have to decide what I do Easter weekend.
Thanks for any suggestions you can offer.

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I am arriving in Roncesvalles on April 19th to begin on the 20th. I'm staying in Pomplona Old Town for Easter Weekend, Friday to Monday. There is no particular reason for choosing Pomplona, it just felt like a good place to be for the celebrations.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
In 2019 we were walking between Pamplona and Navarrete during Easter week. It was an amazing time to be on the Camino. The evening parades prior to Easter in Logrono and Navarrete were fantastic. We had zero problems with finding space at night.

In 2019 we were walking between Pamplona and Navarrete during Easter week. It was an amazing time to be on the Camino. The evening parades prior to Easter in Logrono and Navarrete were fantastic. We had zero problems with finding space at night.
Sounds terrific! And good to hear about finding space. Did you stay in Albergues?

Sounds nice! You probably booked way in advance.
I booked about 3 weeks ago. I was actually surprised to find a few places on AirBnB. Right in the centre of town where no cars are allowed, and 2 small balconies overlooking the street. So I can go downstairs and participate or watch from above. I'm quite excited about it. :)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I'll be in SJPdP on Easter, after there normally festivities there as well as Spain?

Based on walking before, through and after Burgos around Easter a few years ago, staying in hotels and private albergues (not dormitories), and on what I've read on the forum. Happy to be corrected:

I would avoid the section SJPP to Pamplona from the night of Maundy Thursday to the night of Easter Sunday unless pre-booked.

Burgos will be packed on Thursday night (we had to resort to an AirBnB because hotels were booked out); the greater the town the more processions and the more spectacular; you can look up the programmes for processions during Semana Santa on the websites of the larger towns and/or on the websites of the fraternities (hermanidad) who organise the processions; there are more Spanish walkers on Camino during Semana Santa than during the week before and after but numbers are not so huge that they are the major factor for the demand for beds. It's over by Easter Monday which is not a public holiday. I believe that Good Friday is THE big day for processions, followed by Easter Sunday, but I am not certain.

Back in 2009 we were in Pamplona for Palm Sunday and watched the street parade. People in it were waving palm fronds. They handed some to us and encouraged us to join in the parade. Then next thing we knew we were in the Cathedral for the Church Service. Five days later we were in Logrono for Good Friday. Again we watched the street parade. Many floats were being carried by about 16 men - and lots of others in costumes. A drummer would beat the drum to give the signal for the float to stop - so the bearers could have a rest - then beat again for them to resume. The only way to tell the gender of the those in costumes was to look at their feet. Two days later we were in Los Arcos for Easter Sunday. We went to the church service during which Jesus was taken down and put in a glass coffin in the church. Then there was a street parade - again with many people and many floats. We wondered why so few were watching. Then we realised just about everyone in the town was in the parade. Experiences not to be missed.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Based on walking before, through and after Burgos around Easter a few years ago, staying in hotels and private albergues (not dormitories), and on what I've read on the forum. Happy to be corrected:

I would avoid the section SJPP to Pamplona from the night of Maundy Thursday to the night of Easter Sunday unless pre-booked.

Burgos will be packed on Thursday night (we had to resort to an AirBnB because hotels were booked out); the greater the town the more processions and the more spectacular; you can look up the programmes for processions during Semana Santa on the websites of the larger towns and/or on the websites of the fraternities (hermanidad) who organise the processions; there are more Spanish walkers on Camino during Semana Santa than during the week before and after but numbers are not so huge that they are the major factor for the demand for beds. It's over by Easter Monday which is not a public holiday. I believe that Good Friday is THE big day for processions, followed by Easter Sunday, but I am not certain.
Nice and thorough answer, thanks. That makes sense from what I’ve read. Try to leave Roncevalles by the eighth or ninth at the latest.

Last edited:
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Back in 2009 we were in Pamplona for Palm Sunday and watched the street parade. People in it were waving palm fronds. They handed some to us and encouraged us to join in the parade. Then next thing we knew we were in the Cathedral for the Church Service. Five days later we were in Logrono for Good Friday. Again we watched the street parade. Many floats were being carried by about 16 men - and lots of others in costumes. A drummer would beat the drum to give the signal for the float to stop - so the bearers could have a rest - then beat again for them to resume. The only way to tell the gender of the those in costumes was to look at their feet. Two days later we were in Los Arcos for Easter Sunday. We went to the church service during which Jesus was taken down and put in a glass coffin in the church. Then there was a street parade - again with many people and many floats. We wondered why so few were watching. Then we realised just about everyone in the town was in the parade. Experiences not to be missed.
What fun! I’m starting to look forward to it instead of being worried about it!

One note to add - even though Easter Monday is not a Public Holiday, it is a Regional Holiday in some places. One of those is Pamplona. So the bus that travels between Pomplona and Roncesvalles does not run on Easter Monday. Something I learned after making my plans and had to push everything forward a day. I'm not sure if it being a Regional Holiday effects anything else.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back