• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Where to start: 30 days walking

JillGat

la tierra encantada
Time of past OR future Camino
I'm heading on one of the Caminos in spring, 2019; either the Primitivo or VdLP. I've researched the Primitivo and am now looking into La Plata. Since it's 9-10 months away, I figure it's a good way to spend time until then! I will have about 30 days and am looking for recommendations about where to start. It looks like there are so many great towns to see from Sevilla on, I need advice! I average 22K a day and will probably want a couple of rest days. Thanks!

Last edited:
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hi Jill,

I won't tell you what to do, you'll have to figure that out yourself. Maybe I can give a little advice, but that's about it.

The total distance of the VdlP (starting in Seville) is about 990 km. If you have 30 days and want a couple of rest days, you're looking at 25 or 26 walking days? At an average daily distance of 22 km. (and including a couple of rest days) your maximum distance would be 22 km. x 26 days = 572 km.

From the town of Aldeanueva del Camino it's 567 km. to Santiago (assuming you're going to take the Via Sanabria: via Ourense to Santiago). If you should choose to take the alternative route (which joins the Camino Frances at Astorga) the total distance from Aldeanueva to Santiago is 571 km.

Taking the Via Sanabria:
- the longest daily distance is 31.8 km.
- the shortest daily distance is 14.8 km (to avoid a stage of 33.2 km.)
- the daily average is 21.8 km (with only 1 stage of > 30 km.)

Joining the Camino Frances at Astorga:
- the shortest daily distance is 15.8 km. (to avoid a stage of 36.4 km.)
- the daily average is 22.8 km. (also only 1 stage of > 30 km.)

Aldanueva lies 94 km. south of Salamanca. Salamanca has an airport. From Salamanca you can take a bus (www.alsa.com) which will take you to Aldeanueva in little over 1.5 hours for less than 10 euros.

I have a spreadsheet that could help you make your own day-to-day planning. If you send me an email I'll be glad to send it. Hope this will help you to make your own plans.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi Jill,

I won't tell you what to do, you'll have to figure that out yourself. Maybe I can give a little advice, but that's about it.

The total distance of the VdlP (starting in Seville) is about 990 km. If you have 30 days and want a couple of rest days, you're looking at 25 or 26 walking days? At an average daily distance of 22 km. (and including a couple of rest days) your maximum distance would be 22 km. x 26 days = 572 km.

From the town of Aldeanueva del Camino it's 567 km. to Santiago (assuming you're going to take the Via Sanabria: via Ourense to Santiago). If you should choose to take the alternative route (which joins the Camino Frances at Astorga) the total distance from Aldeanueva to Santiago is 571 km.

Taking the Via Sanabria:
- the shortest daily distance is 14.8 km (to avoid a stage of 33.2 km.)
- the daily average is 21.8 km (with only 1 stage of > 30 km.)

Joining the Camino Frances at Astorga:
- the shortest daily distance is 15.8 km. (to avoid a stage of 36.4 km.)
- the daily average is 22.8 km. (also only 1 stage of > 30 km.)

Aldanueva lies 94 km. south of Salamanca. Salamanca has an airport. From Salamanca you can take a bus (www.alsa.com) which will take you to Aldeanueva in little over 1.5 hours for less than 10 euros.

I have a spreadsheet that could help you make your own day-to-day planning. If you send me an email I'll be glad to send it. Hope this will help you to make your own plans.
Thanks for the question JillGat. This is very similar to my own predicament. I had hoped for 40 days to complete the VdlP but now have to work with 28. Andre Walker thank you for your response. Would it be too presumptuous to ask for your spreadsheet as your details for via Sanabria seem to go along the lines of my revised planning. How do I send you my email address? I go late September 2018. Best wishes to JillGat.

@JillGat why not start in Sevilla and walk to Salamanca or Zamora then finish the next time around. Between Sevilla and Salamanca you have Mérida and Cáceres which would be a pity to miss.

I've walked the Plata 2.5 times and due to time constraints (had 3 weeks to walk) I broke it up. First time Sevilla-Zamora then Zamora (via de Sanabrés) - SdC/Finisterre/Muxía and the second time Sevilla - Salamanca then Salamanca to SdC (on that leg started in Granada and walked to Mérida then bussed up to Salamanca, again yo SdC via the Sanabrés).

The +/- 1/2 time was when I walked Sevilla - Mérida as a break while walking the Norte (I know sounds crazy) and another year that I walked the Sanabrés for a third time.

The Plata follows the Calzada Romana and there is so much history! Even on your first stage day out of Sevilla you can visit Roman ruins, including mosaic baths in Itálica.

Good luck planning!

Oh wait, that sounds like what I want to do. Start in Sevilla! I do want to see those places and, as a mosaic artist, I always love to see the work of our ancestors. I certainly don't need to get to Santiago, anyway. Thinking April.. would that be a good time to do this section? Thanks!
ps - here is my mosaic website: www.mirafloresmosaics.com

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I agree with Ltfit. There is so much history and culture in the section from Sevilla to Salamanca. The Roman mosaics in Italica and Merida are among the best in the world. Sevilla, Zafra, Cáceres, and Salamanca are fascinating cites/towns. The small towns along the route are very traditional and provide s great view of Spanish culture.
The food is great (especially if you like pork and French fries).

Hi Jill,

depending on your abilities with 30 days and aiming to reach Santiago you could either start in Caceres (it is a bit more of walking than you intended to do, but your abilities will increase while walking), Banos de Montemayor (ALSA-Bus-Stop; about 55o Km to Santiago) or Salamanca. The camino between Salamanca and Zamora is somewhat odd - so you might skip it by bus.

Starting in March Sevilla would be my favourite. Walk as far as you get (probably La Granja de Moreruela where you turn off for the "Sanabrés") and continue the next year.

BC
Alexandra

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
The camino between Salamanca and Zamora is somewhat odd - so you might skip it by bus.

Hi Via2010,
can you give more detail why this stage is somewhat odd? I thinking starting in Salamanca in October.
thanks

Hi,

the Via de la Plata between Salamanca and Zamora is on farm-tracks somtimes on the right side, sometimes on the left side of the motorway. The landscape is flat, not many trees or bushes around. Most time you can see and hear the vehicles on the nearby motorway.

BC
Alexandra

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I'm set on Sevilla to Salamanca in the spring, at least right now that is my plan! And, being an Albuquerque, New Mexico girl, I will take a side trip from Caceres (or a nearer point from La Plata) to our namesake town in Spain, Alburquerque. Late April or first of May.

Good decision. It is the perfect time of the year to do the southern section of the Via de la Plata. You will love it.

But take into consideration that Sevilla is very crowded in "Semana Santa" (the week before Easter) and during "Feria do Abril" (second half of April) so that you should book your accomodation for Sevilla in advance and be prepared to pay higher prices.

BC
Alexandra

Ah they joys of planning. Italica on the first day out of Seville has some great in situ mosaics, but the best are probably in Merida (great museum). Your plan for a spring Camino sounds right for you. It may be heresy to suggest a Camino that doesn't end in Santigao, but sometimes it's just the joy of being back on the open road that you crave. Some people complain about the lack of churches and think the Vdlp lacks history, but it doesn't take much research to find that this route is layered with history, both Roman and pilgrim. Have a great time planning, and walking @JillGat

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I don't like missing any sections of a camino but I agree with @Via2010 - if you have to miss something, the section between Salamanca and Zamora is not the most inspiring.

My plan all year has been VdeLP Seville to Santiago. However, time limitiations has dictated otherwise and I have had to make a choice. I have 26 walking days. At present I plan starting in Salamance in late September, Santiago first and going to complete Finisterre and Muxia. I could forget about Finisterre and start before Salamanca. Bottom line - I want to go to Santiago!
André Walker's suggestion in an earlier post of Aldeanueva del Camino to Santiago (it's 567 km) seems like an attractive option. Cacéres might just be too far?

Hi,

If you want to got to Finisterre and Muxía, you would better start in Salamanca. From Banos de Montemayor (ALSA-Busstop) to Santiago is approximately 26 days of walking, from Caceres to Santiago 30 days.

You can check the possible stages by using this Website:

Planificador Godesalco

Due to the lack of intermediate accomodation there are not so many different options.

If I were you I would plan 20 days to Santiago and then continue to Fisterra and/or Muxía.

BC
Alexandra

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi,

If you want to got to Finisterre and Muxía, you would better start in Salamanca. From Banos de Montemayor (ALSA-Busstop) to Santiago is approximately 26 days of walking, from Caceres to Santiago 30 days.

You can check the possible stages by using this Website:

Planificador Godesalco

Due to the lack of intermediate accomodation there are not so many different options.

If I were you I would plan 20 days to Santiago and then continue to Fisterra and/or Muxía.

BC
Alexandra
Thank you for this Via2010. Appreciate it. Very helpful also.

Might see ou out there @James P , we leave Merida in September, for other threads it looks like there will a few of us on the Vdpl this year.

I walked from salamanca via ourense in April this year. I think it was 19 days. I allowed for more time but ended up walking 28km plus on many days. Its easy walking on the whole and the fewer accommodation options can lead you to longer stages. In retrospect I would start at zamora. Apart from the people I met I didn't enjoy following the highway most of the time.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I walked from salamanca via ourense in April this year. I think it was 19 days. I allowed for more time but ended up walking 28km plus on many days. Its easy walking on the whole and the fewer accommodation options can lead you to longer stages. In retrospect I would start at zamora. Apart from the people I met I didn't enjoy following the highway most of the time.
Interesting NomadBoomer. Do you mean walking beside the highway along the section from Salamanca to Zamora?

There are frequent buses running between Salamanca and Zamora.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Hi,

the Via de la Plata between Salamanca and Zamora is on farm-tracks somtimes on the right side, sometimes on the left side of the motorway. The landscape is flat, not many trees or bushes around. Most time you can see and hear the vehicles on the nearby motorway.

BC
Alexandra

I think this is pretty accurate summary. Not walking on the highway as such but very aware of it a lot of the time. Plus detours to cross, or around junctions or railway. Not terrible just a bit dull I thought

I'm heading on one of the Caminos in spring, 2019; either the Primitivo or VdLP. I've researched the Primitivo and am now looking into La Plata. Since it's 9-10 months away, I figure it's a good way to spend time until then! I will have about 30 days and am looking for recommendations about where to start. It looks like there are so many great towns to see from Sevilla on, I need advice! I average 22K a day and will probably want a couple of rest days. Thanks!

Ha ha just like me already planning :) there are so many to choose from you could actually do 100kms of several.. I actually now like the look of from Palencia ( part of the Frances) from Fromista - Leon 114kms ) then you could get the bus out to somewhere else and do another 100kms and so on so that you can get three or four certificates ( ha not sure it works like that) that way you get the best of all the routes because you have sampled several a pick and mix if you like.. then your last 100km could be a route to Santiago ..... you are spoilt for choice really then the one you liked the best you could extend for the next time you do it or add anothe 100kms to each of the routes you do

Hi @sunshines
Welcome to the Forum! Actually it doesn't work that way. The Compostela or certificate that you mention can only be obtained if you walk the last 100 km of any Camino, arriving in Santiago. Of course you may do any combo you want but if receiving several Compostelas is important to you then you need to follow the rules (and get two stamps a day during the last 100 km).

Enjoy planning, there are so many wonderful Caminos to choose from!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi @sunshines
Welcome to the Forum! Actually it doesn't work that way. The Compostela or certificate that you mention can only be obtained if you walk the last 100 km of any Camino, arriving in Santiago. Of course you may do any combo you want but if receiving several Compostelas is important to you then you need to follow the rules (and get two stamps a day during the last 100 km).

Enjoy planning, there are so many wonderful Caminos to choose from!
Hmm that is what I said to the lady :) I'm not doing that one is enough for me not 4 in one go

Most read last week in this forum

After Requejo, you pass thru a little town, Padornelo and then by a gas station with a bar. You follow N-525 for a short way and then come to a turn off to the right, leading thru Aciberos. There...
My daughter just has a few weeks off so we flew to Portugal to visit my brother in Braga, then he drove us up to Puebla de Sanabria to walk the Camino Sanabres. Tomorrow we start walking, but I...
Greetings from sunny Cea. Are there any hostels between Cea and A Laxe? Hostel in Castro Dozon is closed
After Olleros de Tera at one point you will come to a crossing where there are two arrows. One pointing to the road and one pointing straight on into the greenery. If you have the Via de la Plata...
For anyone around Sevilla, next Saturday marks the end of the annual week long fiesta. I have just had a conversation, as I do weekly (to help her with English), with a friend who is from there...
I’m at Almadén de la Plata at the moment, and my options for tomorrow are to go as far as El Real de la Jara (approx 14km) or continue on to Monesterio (approx 34km). 34 km is a bit far for day 4...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.