A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

where to start a few days before SJPP?

JillGat

la tierra encantada
Camino(s) past & future
C. Frances
SJPP - Finisterre - Muxia, May 2016
C. Frances, Sept 2017
Via de La Plata (spring, 2019)
I'd like to start the Camino a few days before SJPP. Any recommendations for a starting point?

Hi, JillGat,
I have walked from LePuy, but it was many years ago and my memory isn't great. But the godesalco planner should give you some good ideas: http://www.godesalco.com/plan/podense

If you are landing in Paris and want to make your way to some town before St. Jean, I would compare the towns in godesalco with the French rail site, SNCF. Aire sur l'Adour is the biggest town in that last part of the LePUy route before SJPP, but it is more than 160 km from SJPP. I don't know if that's too many for your idea of a "several day" walk.

This is probably not too helpful but may be a start. Buen camino, Laurie

Kanga

Staff member
Camino(s) past & future
Francés x 5, Le Puy x 2, Arles, Tours, Norte, Madrid, Via de la Plata.
How long do you have? The logical place is probably Aire sur l'Adour but you could also consider lots of other places. Here is a page from where you can download the topo maps for the GR65 (starting from Le Puy) http://podiensis.online.fr/listVUESpodiensis.htm
Also look at the route from Vezelay and Tours. There may be somewhere more logical on either of those.

Camino(s) past & future
Past? Not enough.
Future? Sure!
Orthez is about 70 kms from SJPP, well marked, and beautiful...
Orthez is a nice starting point :
  • The albergue is really special.
  • The walk to St-Jean-Pied-de-Port is easy to split.
  • There is a train station, nice to get there.
The first day or two will be quite, as the Vézelay route is not very frequented.
The crowd will start at St-Palais, where the Voie du Puy joins.

Buen Camino,
Jacques-D.

Camino(s) past & future
Walked Chemin Piemont to Pamplona 2010/2012.Pamplona to Santiago 2013/2015
Oloron St Marie - pleasant enough town, lovely church, easy trains from Pau and a few days quiet walking to St Jean.

SYates

Camino Fossil AD 1999
Camino(s) past & future
First: Camino Francés 1999
Last: Camino Inglés 2018

Now: http://egeria.house/
Oloron St Marie - pleasant enough town, lovely church, easy trains from Pau and a few days quiet walking to St Jean.
Oloron is on the Arles/Somport route, is there now a way marked connection between Oloron and SJPdP? Buen Camino, SY

Camino(s) past & future
Walked Chemin Piemont to Pamplona 2010/2012.Pamplona to Santiago 2013/2015
No problem with signage between Oloron and Mauleon, after that I joined the Le Puy route at Larceveau by way of Pagolle. The classic Piemont route is via Hopital St Blaise and Garaibie. The J and G Veron book has the route in detail but I can't find my copy. There are responses on the "Starting from Lourdes" thread that have more detail.

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Portugues 2009
Camino Frances 2010
Aire Sur L'Adour - Fisterra 2014
Kumano Kodo 2016
Via de la Plata: Sevilla - Mérida 2016/02
Via de la Plata: Mérida - Canaveral 2016/10
Hi, I can recommend starting from Aire Sur L'Adour.

It's a small town about 5-6 days from SJPDP. I started there on my latest camino to get some "training" before the Pyrenees. It was lovely. I especially enjoyed seeing the Pyrenees in the distant and slowly moving towards them. From this town you follow the GR 65 from le Puy.

grayland

Staff member
Camino(s) past & future
Yes
There are some very helpful posts here.
I know there are some people who want to insure they have walked 800km so would like to start a day or so before SJPP.
There are also some folks who would like to get in a couple of days of walking rather than hitting the SJPP to Roncesvalles effort on the first day.

Harington

una abuelita inglés
Camino(s) past & future
Vézelay/Francés 2011, Primitivo 2012, VdlP 2013, Via Domitia 2014, Inglés 2015, Francigena 2016
Saint-Palais on the Voie de Tours / via Turonensis.
St Palais is also on the Voie de Vézelay, as is Orthez. Both are in fabulous hilly country, with the peaks of the Pyrenees visible. Good training for the day's walk between SJPdP and Roncesvalles.

Thornley

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Frances [08 ]Portuguese [09 ]Le Puy[10] Norte[ 11] Madrid [12] Figeac - Pamplona [13] Mont Saint Michel - Bordeaux / St Palais - Pamplona [14] Moissac -Burgos [15] , Norte to Oviedo and then Primitivo [16]
Le Puy to Moissac and Dax to Santo Domingo
There are some very helpful posts here.
I know there are some people who want to insure they have walked 800km so would like to start a day or so before SJPP.
There are also some folks who would like to get in a couple of days of walking rather than hitting the SJPP to Roncesvalles effort on the first day.
Starting a "few" days prior to STJPP [as the OP asked] could if you wish take Orisson out of play.
We normally commence prior to STJPP and it has worked very well.

Audie Ray

Camino(s) past & future
Late April-Mid May (2016)
Orthez is a nice starting point :
  • The albergue is really special.
  • The walk to St-Jean-Pied-de-Port is easy to split.
  • There is a train station, nice to get there.
The first day or two will be quite, as the Vézelay route is not very frequented.
The crowd will start at St-Palais, where the Voie du Puy joins.

Buen Camino,
Jacques-D.

Hello Jacques, I am thinking about starting in Orthez- do you have any ideas about where I can find info/maps etc. on the route from Orthez to St. Jean Pied de Port? Thanks!

marbuck

Camino(s) past & future
Condom to Pamplona April 2016.
Le Puy to Condom France - April-May 2015.
Roncesvalles to Santiago April - May 2014
Finisterre to Muxia May 2014
We are starting in Condom this year, it is about 10 days out of SJPDP on the Le Puy route.

Camino(s) past & future
Frances, autumn/winter; 2004, 2005-2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015
Last edited:

OLDER threads on this topic

A few items available from the Camino Forum Store

Pilgrims here right now

Advertisement
Booking.com

Most read today

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 8 1.1%
  • February

Votes: 4 0.5%
  • March

Votes: 33 4.5%
  • April

Votes: 107 14.7%
  • May

Votes: 179 24.5%