• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Where to start and how to get there?

RaphaelHythloday

Hi i was thinking about doing the camino aragonés this july but i have no idea where to star or how to get there so i could use a litlle help. I was also wondering if they have already changed the route of the way due to construction of the dam?

I realy need some info on this, thank you all ;)

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
You can get to Canfranc Estacion by bus from Oloron-Ste. Marie, or train from Zaragoza, or bus from Jaca. There are lots of ways to get to those places.

It will be a long time before the embalsa will affect the route, if it ever does. The current planned water level probably did not require abandoning some of the villages. Some of the roads that will be cut may result in an improved foot route, but "Yesa" is pretty far off, so plans are vague.

Don't spend a lot of time waiting or worrying!

We walked the Aragones from Somport in early May. Loved it!
I spent two nights in Barcelona and had pre- booked tickets from Sants Station to Zaragoza leaving at 8.30 am got us into Zaragoza in plenty of time for 11am bus to Jaca (bus station next to train station) then bus to Somport,arriving there around 3pm . I was so excited to see the mountains covered in snow. After a quick drink and getting our sellos we walked through a snow bank and across the landslide(I know we should have taken the road!) and down to Canfranc Estacion for our first night.
It was cool and perfect walking weather then but take care in July.
Buen camino
Heather

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
RaphaelHythloday said:
Hi i was thinking about doing the camino aragonés this july but i have no idea where to star or how to get there so i could use a litlle help. I was also wondering if they have already changed the route of the way due to construction of the dam?

I realy need some info on this, thank you all ;)
Hola RaphaelHythloday,
You can also get the bus from towns on the French side to the border at Somport. If you start from Somport you get to cross the border from France into Spain. It's also a lovely walk down to Jaca.
Buen Camino
Colin

There are trains from Zaragoza to Jaca and at least one train that continues to Canfranc, so there is no need to switch to a bus unless you want to!

The ideal way to do the Aragonés route is to start 2 or more days before Somport. From Oloron to Canfranc Estacion, it is 2 strenuous days or 3 moderate days. My own preference is 4 easy days from Oloron. Better yet is to start even a few stages earlier, with Lescar being the most practical since it is a suburb of Pau, a city big enough to have good access by air or train. Earlier stages of that route probably can be reached by bus from Pau. The advantage of starting a few stages further east is that your body gets some road hardening before you tackle the Somport crossing. The walk up the valley of the Aspe river is a grind, but the marvelous scenery more than makes up for it.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I walked the Aragonnes last year from Oloron and it is a very beautiful Camino. I agree it is a hard grind up to Somport if you start on the French side, but there is a bus from Oloron up the valley to Somport (about 3 a day from memory) that continues to Canfranc.
If you wish to Start from the Spanish side, Zarogrosa is a big transport hub with trains from Madrid, Barcelona etc. Then a train to Jaca, and then a bus to Col de Somport (about 3 per day). If you arrive in Madrid early morning it is possible to get to Somport by early evening.
I found the Tourist Office in Jaca most helpful and they speak English well and you can ask them information on-line. Just Google for their address. They also have a map which shows route, location of albergues with number of beds, suggested stages, distances between albergues. If anyone wishes to see a copy of this map, send me a PM

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back