• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Where to start biking in france

Zuki

France with bikes Spain on foot
Time of past OR future Camino
Next week from France
Hello everybady!
I want to bike the Camino in France and to walk the Spain part.
Wher is the recommended point to begin?
I'm think about to buy the bicycle in France, and start biking... there is another better option?

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
hello pilgrim,
there are nice different ways in France. for example, i did with the bicycle from arle, paris and le puy en veley.
also the way to Toulouse ( canal de midi ) than to lourdes to jaca via aragon.
have a nice camino

hello pilgrim,
there are nice different ways in France. for example, i did with the bicycle from arle, paris and le puy en veley.
also the way to Toulouse ( canal de midi ) than to lourdes to jaca via aragon.
have a nice camino

Thank you!!
So you don't recommend to ride the simple way of the Camino?
What is your recommendation about the bicycle? To Come with my own from Israel? To buy a new one in Lyon? Or maybe to rent? Thank you again.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hello everybady!
I want to bike the Camino in France and to walk the Spain part.
Wher is the recommended point to begin?
I'm think about to buy the bicycle in France, and start biking... there is another better option?

First of all you will have to decide which way in France you want to bike. Also, this combination (bike and then hike) means you will have to buy two different sets of gear, one for biking and one for hiking. OK, some things do overlap, but others not. I think you are looking at quite an expensive way to do the camino if you do this. Whatever you decide, Buen Camino, SY

i have a tracking bicycle, not used on all Camino where you can walk. i always try also to find a way on the road. its more save for the bicycle, less reparation. in France you have perfect ways for the bicycle in a great nature.
the cloth to ware, i used for walking and cycling. rain jacked and trouser, if you want change later from cycling to walking buy a 2.hand bicycle. or try to change the bicycle in one of the alberge for a backpack. i did it ones.
yes you also can rent a bike, but i don`t no where you can have it or if some problems, where to fix, (about cost).
hope its help a little. buon camino

First of all you will have to decide which way in France you want to bike. Also, this combination (bike and then hike) means you will have to buy two different sets of gear, one for biking and one for hiking. OK, some things do overlap, but others not. I think you are looking at quite an expensive way to do the camino if you do this. Whatever you decide, Buen Camino, SY

Thank you for answer. Of course you're right about the double gear, I do my best to decrease it.
I'm thinking about to ride the Le Puy route. Do you think it's a good choice? Thank you

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
i have a tracking bicycle, not used on all Camino where you can walk. i always try also to find a way on the road. its more save for the bicycle, less reparation. in France you have perfect ways for the bicycle in a great nature.
the cloth to ware, i used for walking and cycling. rain jacked and trouser, if you want change later from cycling to walking buy a 2.hand bicycle. or try to change the bicycle in one of the alberge for a backpack. i did it ones.
yes you also can rent a bike, but i don`t no where you can have it or if some problems, where to fix, (about cost).
hope its help a little. buon camino

Thank you.
I'm think to ride the Le Puy route.what do you think?
Is it a clearly way with signs or do I have to use a map and navigate all the time?
How many kilometers for a day at average?
Thank you for help!

I have walked the Le Puy road and whilst there are parts that are doable for an experienced biker, I also remember parts that would be impossible with a bike. The first thing I would suggest is that you buy a good guide book that contains alternatives for pilgrims on bikes. This one http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AA8BX44/?tag=casaivar02-20 hasn't been updated in a while but perhaps somebody else here knows of a better one. The way for walkers is well marked, so no problem there. Bon Chemin, SY

Forgot, as for how many km - How many do you normally do on biking tours? SY

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Forgot, as for how many km - How many do you normally do on biking tours? SY

Thank you SY! In a road I can ride 100 km for day.. thank you about the book I will read it. Maybe you know a good App for Le Puy route? For now I have the "chemins the st. James" and the "Camino guide 2.0"..

Miam Miam DoDo is the best guide for accommodation on the Le Puy road and I think they also have an app. You might want to search your favorite app store for it. Bon Chemin, SY

Sy
Thank you a lot for your help!
I found an a good app called Chemin the saint Diago, and a post hear of a biker that did it.
It's really nice to meet the lovely people of the Camino even before I have begin.
Bon chemin. Bnaia :)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back