• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Where to start...few days camino from Porto

kermit

Time of past OR future Camino
Portuguese
We unfortunately only have 1 week in October and would love to spend a few of the days walking a little stretch of the camino. We really dont know where to start and whether to do the true pilgrim adventure of backpack on and finding accommodation en route OR booking somewhere central to commute to each day by public transport. We have no doubt we will be back to do the remaining of the route in style but for now, how would you suggest we make the most of our few days flying into Porto and the route to take? Whilst we do want this to be around the walking, we also want to have a day mooching around doing nice things before coming back to work the day after.. Any advice greatly appreciated.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I walked the CP from Porto to SdC last October. The litoral/coastal route from Porto to Caminha (5 or 6 days) is a great path to spend most of a week. The Portuguese coast with many boardwalks and the ocean crashing in my ear as I walked was one of my best Camino experiences. The town of Vila Praia de Ancora, a few kilometers before Caminha, is a nice place to spend some beach time.

I am on Portuguese. Coastal right now... You can take metro red line as far north to Pavo do Neira and walk 7 days on beautiful coastal trail and then take bus back to Porto. There was a couple I walked with for 2 days that also had only 1 week and that is their plan. Bom Camhino

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Thank you both very much. Can I ask if public transport on this route is fairly straightforward? Considering 2 options - clearly one is the proper pilgrim experience, the other not quite so! We will either book a central point to stay and commute one way by public transport or find accommodation as we walk. Is booking a must along the way or will we find it easy enough? Also, if we go for the first option, where would you advise as a point to stay - I notice you say Vila Praia de Ancora, would that be a good option? Just waiting for those retirement years where we can take off with our backpacks and not worry about all this in order to get back to work a week later!

I have not done a single reservation,nor am I using a guidebook... I have the 'Camino tool' app..but all lodging has come from fellow pilgrims, and asking innkeepers what good lodging is next. Let the Camino take care of you...easy to say..not always easy to let go to.
Porto metro is straightforward. Buses a little more involved.. Alburgue hosts are your best guides.

I walked the Cp Litoral last May with a friend who wasn't able to entertain long daily walks. We had both been to Porto before and our plane landed at 22.00hrs so caught the metro into the Carolina Michaelis stop and it is a 2 min walk to the auberge. You are able to book directly with them. Next morning with used metro into Sao Bento and obtained our first stamp at the Cathedral and walked the path round to Matosinhos. We then used metro back to Carolina Michaelis and spent our second night there.
Tip, they have lockable lockers so leave any unwanted weight there for your first days walk. In the morning back on the metro to Matosinhos. we continued on hugging the coast and it is an easy introduction to to your Camino with spectacular coastal views and plenty of Albergues on the way. Use gronze to locate them all.
Welcome to the forum, you will find so much helpful info.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Thank you both very much. Can I ask if public transport on this route is fairly straightforward? Considering 2 options - clearly one is the proper pilgrim experience, the other not quite so! We will either book a central point to stay and commute one way by public transport or find accommodation as we walk. Is booking a must along the way or will we find it easy enough? Also, if we go for the first option, where would you advise as a point to stay - I notice you say Vila Praia de Ancora, would that be a good option? Just waiting for those retirement years where we can take off with our backpacks and not worry about all this in order to get back to work a week later!
If you pick a central spot to travel to and from, consider Viana do Castelo. It is a bit more than halfway between Porto and Caminha and is larger than other places along the coastal route. I rode a bus from the central route into Viana do Castelo; there appeared to be several transportation options to go north or south.

If you have a week and want a day at the end, I would start walking in Valenca on the Portuguese side of the Portugal/Spanish border. It should be easy to get to from Porto. From there, it won't be hard to get to Santiago in five days (first day to Redondela, second to Pontevedra, third to Caldas de Reis, fourth to Padron, fifth to Santiago). That leaves you an extra day in Santiago and another to get back to Porto for your flight home.

As a bonus, you will have completed a Camino and qualified for a Compostela.

My wife and I did Porto to Santiago in 2018. We started first day on the coastal route, then day 2 cut into the central route. The little cut in was a busy traffic and cobblestone fest, which was really the only down side.
We took 6 days to walk to Santiago, and a 3 hour bus ride back to Porto to really enjoy such a beautiful city.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

I would like to walk the river route in Tui next month. I can see on google maps exactly where it starts, but it seems a bit overgrown. Has anybody used this route this year or last year...
Hello, my friend of 50+ years and I are on our first Camino walk. We are looking for: 1) safe, comfortable hostels in Lisbon; 2) stages from Lisbon to Porto (via Tomar) in about 16 days...
Hi I have searched everywhere to see if there is a luggage service from Lisbon to Porto. I know there is from Porto to Santiago, but Lisbon ???. Thanks for any info.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back