• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Where to start for 3-4 days?

edan221

I will be in Spain in July and want to walk the Camino, although sadly I only have 3-4 days. I will be coming from Pamplona and assume that I'll need to travel to Santiago first, then take a bus 60-80 km away to get on the Camino. Any recommendations for where I should plan to start? Thanks!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
You could walk from Pamplona to Logrono. Both have good bus/train service (to get back from the walk).

With Santiago as a destination, you could start in Fisterra or Muxia and walk a reverse route. You also can get to Melide from Santiago by bus and walk to back to Santiago.

On the Camino Portugues you can start in Redondela and walk to Santiago. There is train and bus service to Redondela from Santiago.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
From Pamplona, go to Saint Jean Pied de Port and walk in reverse. That´s three days, an extra takes you to Puente la Reina, and it is also an interesting walk.

Doing 25-27 km/day, you could start in Sarria and arrive in Santiago, and qualify for your Compostela. You would probably have to get to Lugo first and then a bus to Sarria. Sarria is 111 km from Santiago.

July is also very hot in the rest of Spain, Galicia is much more bearable.

The only ‘complete‘ Camino I can think of in that timescale is the Camino Ingles from A Coruna to Santiago. It‘s 3 days but would take a day of travelling to get to the start. I agree with those suggesting a Pamplona start. That stretch is one of my favourites. Just see how far you get. Buen Camino!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Start in Pamplona of course and catch a bus ride back. I got to Pamplona on July 25th and from there reached Logrono on July 29th, and I am not an extremely fast or marathon walker. Besides, if you are only walking 3-4 days, your pack should be extremely light. As big as Logrono is, I'm sure it's easy to find transportation from there back to Pamplona.
Be careful though. Once you get a taste of walking the Camino, you may not want to stop. ;)

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I doubt that any place in Spain will be "cool" in July! And certainly not Pamplona or the meseta! I'd take the train to Logrono and start in Navarrete, walk to Montes de Oca and take the bus to Burgos. That's about 72 km. 3 days @ 24 k; 4 days @ 18 k in the heat.

As Falcon implies if you are in Pamplona why not start there?

Someone is always asking me what was my favorite part of the Camino. That's a really hard question, because there are so many beautiful parts. Most people immediately say crossing the Pyrenees or Galacia -- both outstanding in beauty of the terrain, villages, and people. But when I start day-dreaming about my Camino experience, I always seem to find my self somewhere along the 200 km or so between Pamplona and Burgos. There is just something about the rolling hills, the variety of vegetation, the vineyards of La Rioja, the golden fields and giant haystacks (we walked mostly in late August and early September) that stick in my memory more than the rest of the journey. So yes, if you only have 3 or 4 days to walk, you're probably not going the get in the last 100 km to get a Compostela, so why not start in Pamplona and walk to Logroñ0? Or start in Logroño and walk to Burgos. All three are major cities with easy commercial transportation in and out.
Buen Camino,
Jim

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I agree with other posters: start where you are! I loved Pamplona, and walking through the Rioja was magic. If you asked me what the most beautiful parts of the camino were for me, I'd say the first 3 days (from SJPP to Pamplona) and Galicia (from Cebreiro to Samos/Sarria). But everything was beautiful! So with only 3 days, it doesn't really make sense to go out of your way. Either bus to SJPP from Pamplona (is that possible?) and walk to Pamplona; or start in Pamplona, walk until you run out of time, and then bus back.

Have fun!

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.