• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Where to start for 3 week walk

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Depending on how much you plan to walk each day, I'd start in either Burgos or Leon. They are large cities, with nice albergues, and you're likely to meet up with some other pilgrims to walk with. If you start in Leon, and walk fast, I'd also recommend walking through to Finisterre. It is well worth the three additional days on the trail.

beckany

Hello Thomas,

With three weeks, Burgos at 485KMs from Santiago is almost 25kms / day and Leon at 305KMs is about 15Kms / day. Most people would probably opt from Burgos with that amount of time. Enjoy the open plains of Castile and start from Burgos!

Good luck and Buen Camino!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Burgos sound good. 485km should to be ok for me.

The other option is to start in Leon and continue to Finistere.

Can anyone compare these two options? What is the more interessting one?

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
There are many choices. I just completed the Camino Frances on Sept 30.

If I were you I would go from St Jean Pied de Port to Burgos. I would then take the bus to Leon and would go to Santiago from there. You avoid the Meseta and the Paramo which are furnaces in the summer and fall (I have done it...)

Actually, I am walking from Burgos to Finisterre and it's taking exactly three weeks. I walked the same distance two years ago in this amount of time, with some different stops, but these are the planned stops for this winter. Here's my walking schedule:

Burgos to Hontanas 29 KM
Hontanas to Boadilla del Camino 29 KM
Boadilla to Carrion de los Condes 25 KM
Carrion to Terradillos de Templarios 26 KM
Terradillos to Calzadilla de Hermanillos 27 KM
Calzadilla to Mansilla de Mulas (about) 27 - 30 KM
Mansilla to Leon 19 KM (short day, explore Leon)
Leon to Hospital de Orbigo 31 KM
Hospital to Astorga 17 KM
Astorga to Manjarin 32 KM
Manjarin to Ponferrada 23 KM
Ponferrada to Villafranca del Bierzo 22.5 KM
Villafranca to O Cebreiro 31 KM
O Cebreiro to Samos 32 KM
Samos to Portomarin 32 KM
Portomarin to Palas de Rei 26.5 KM
Palas de Rei to Arzua 29 KM
Arzua to Santiago de Compostela 40 KM
Misa del Peregrino @ 12:00 then Santiago to Negreira 22 KM
Negreira to Olveiroa 33 KM
Olveiroa to Finisterre 35 KM

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
HI all, I will be starting my walk on March 31, taking the Valcarlos Route, and am having trouble getting in touch with the albergue in Valcarlos (tried email and what's app - no luck!). Does...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.