• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Where to start if only 12 days

Endless9

Hi there,

I'm new to this forum and very excited :D

I am wondering where I should start the trail if I only have 12 days to walk. I'd like to end in Santiago for sure...

I'm an avid walker/hiker, but I don't think this trail is about how fast you do it...

Are there any suggestions about:

Where to start
What airport is closest to that start
How many kilometers/miles are recommended per day

Totally appreciate any advice :)

Colette

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hola Endless,

You are right, this is not about how fast you do it, though it is for some...

You might want to consider Ponerrada, it's 200 K out and will give you the joy of climbing up and down a 930m hill as well as climbing O'Cebreiro. While the whole Camino is something you'll never forget. these two will add texture to your journey and is some of the most outstanding scenery there is.

There is bus service from Santiago to Ponferrada.

Buen Camino,
Jerry

Here's another alternative: combine the Camino Portugues + on to Fisterra. I've just been told that this last one is "very" walkable." Buen Camino :arrow: xm

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
You might want to consider Ponerrada, it's 200 K out and will give you the joy of climbing up and down a 930m hill as well as climbing O'Cebreiro. While the whole Camino is something you'll never forget. these two will add texture to your journey and is some of the most outstanding scenery there is.

There is bus service from Santiago to Ponferrada.

Thank you! So would this mean I fly into Santiago and then take the bus to Ponferrada and walk back to Santiago? Pardon my ignorance! Haha! I know very little about the trail and even less about how to use a forum :)

Are there any books you recommend I read to better understand what it is I'm attempting to do? Thanks :)

"...this mean I fly into Santiago and then take the bus to Ponferrada and walk back to Santiago? Pardon my ignorance! Haha! I know very little about the trail and even less about how to use a forum."

No prob, Endless, we're all in a continuous learning process. Going to Compostela or anywhere else and taking a bus back "to ... wherever", from where you can start/continue your Road, is feasable, more often than not. It's done a lot. There's quite a distance between the airport and the bus station, though there are buses, I don't know how regularly, and taxis, of course.

Are there any books you recommend I read to better understand what it is I'm attempting to do?

Can you be more specific about what you're attempting to do? It would make recommending lit, easier.

Buen Camino 8)

xm

Thanks XM

In another post I found a recommendation for the book:

A Pilgrim's Guide to the Camino de Santiago : Camino Frances - The
French Way of St. James (Paperback) by John Brierley (Author)

I also went to the Confraternity of St. James website and ordered the guide from France to Compostela.

I think this should give me a good start!

When did you do the trail and what was your route?

Until later,
Colette

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
A Pilgrim's Guide to the Camino de Santiago : Camino Frances - The
French Way of St. James (Paperback) by John Brierley (Author)

Hi Colette, am not familiar with that book. Please share your reaction to it with us when finished.

When did you do the trail and what was your route?

I've done a few over the past five years, Colette: The Camino Frances, the Camino Portugues, the Camino Aragones, the Camino Primitivo, and portions of the Camino del Norte. Some, 2-3 times. Got a lot more to do. For example, am planning on doing the Camino Aragones this summer for the fourth time, only this time I'll be starting from from Lescar on the French side, instead of Somport, the Spanish side.

Sounds like am "enganchado" (hooked), don't it? :) :) , wait, you'll be 2!

Buen Camino 8)

xm

Wow! XM,

If you don't mind me asking, where do you live? Are you near by the Camino? I'm amazed you have done that many different routes!

That's awesome!

PS - I will share my review of the book once I've read it :)

Wow! XM...I'm amazed you have done that many different routes!...That's awesome!

:) :) :) , wait until you read about the stories of far much more experienced pilgrims, not only from the Caminos de Santiago, but to other pilgrim sties I haven't ventured as of yet :!:

Apertas (hug in Galician) 8)

xm

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
where to start if only 12 days?

Another option is to fly into Valladolid - Ithink there is a bus that goes all the way to Ponferrada, otehrwise bus to Astorga and on to Ponf.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi I have a question regarding regulations in French airports on what is allowed to bring as carry on luggage. I have a small lightweight Victorinox SD multitool including a small knife that is...
Hi, we had booked a camino for last September and had to reschedule for this early June. I previously had booked a train from Santiago to Porto to start travel back for our flight home from...
I read that municipal auberges will not accept luggage transferred by courier. Is this correct, if so is there a way around this? I prefer to stay at municipal auberges and carry my backpack since...
Hello, we are a family of 5 travelling from Australia on a 7 week trip of Europe. We are walking the first few stages of CF from SJPdP to Pamplona only. I've been searching the threads for info...
I’m planning to send to Santiago a smaller bag with things I need for the flight, extra days pre/post Camino, and whatever else I decide that I won’t need. I could send it from Roncesvalles...
I am having difficulty finding out how to get to Belorado from Madrid airport. Arriving 6/1 at about 8 a.m. at airport. After customs and baggage claim, it should be about 9:30 a.m. Willing to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back