• We are struggeling with some issues with images and attachments not loading on the forum. This is some left-over problems from the other day. We have back-ups of everything, so nothing is lost, we just need to link things up again so that it works. In short, we are working on it. Sorry! Ivar
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Where to start in Lisbon.

inastew

I'm thinking of doing the camino is August and would like to start in Lisbon on the bike. However, Lisbon is a big place and I don't know where it starts. Can someone give me more info?
Also, how bike friendly is the camino Postugues?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Can I pick up a Compostela from Lisbon Cathedral? Starting from Porto but arrive in Lisbon for a week sighseeing so might as well get a stamp from here if possible.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi, ausmarko,

You can now get your credencial at the Lisbon cathedral. This is thanks to the efforts of the ViaLusitana, the Lisbon "Friends of the Camino" group. More details here:

el-camino-portugues/topic11870.html

I'll just throw in links to two more threads in case you are interested. I lived in Lisbon for a year several years ago and I had a lot of visitors. I put together a walking tour to the city for times when I had to work and couldn't be a guide: el-camino-portugues/topic7257.html

And heres a perhaps slightly outdated list of some of my favorite restaurants: el-camino-portugues/topic7262.html

Lisbon is a wonderful city. Buen camino, Laurie

ausmarko, you can get the Credencial on the Lisbon Cathedral and stamp it in the time. Just don't put the date of the day that you've stamped it, but the date of the real beginning :p

The Santiago Church in Lisbon has done some efforts, to put the beginning in there. You can find their Facebook page with some photos in here: https://www.facebook.com/IgrejadeSantiagoLisboa

Best Regards
Diogo

Laurie and Diogo, thanks very much for your replies and the walking tour will be a highlight. Thanks for the links. Starting to get excited and can't believe it has come around so quickly! Hope to meet some forum members on the walk up to Santiago from Porto :D

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
ausmarko, I work in Lisbon at an Hotel. If you need something, just send me a message through here or an email to diogomartins555@hotmail.com ;)

Best Regards
Diogo

Do not be tempted to ride the roads! The Portuguese people are very very friendly, warm, welcoming, and gregarious---until they get behind the steering wheel! Portugal leads Europe in traffic accidents, they seem to have problems judging speed and distances, they consider traffic signs and warnings as recommendations at best, they have no idea of the dangers involved in driving so pedestrians and bikes are always but always at risk. Wear some sort of reflective jacket anywhere near a paved stretch flags attatched to saddlebags lights anything at all to attract attention. This is no joke or laughing matter it is Portuguese reality.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I'm tired of people saying that "the portuguese this, the portuguese that". Go get your facts correct:

http://epp.eurostat.ec.europa.eu/statistics_explained/index.php/Transport_accident_statistics

And for a Forum that it's supposed to create a community of interests between people from around the world, there are certain members who tend to stereotype the Spaniards and the Portuguese.

If you really lived in Portugal, you would not talk like that, specially about bikes and pedestrians. You would know that are pedestrians who do not walk in bordwalks. You would know that there are bikers who like to do twists and turns in the middle of the road, occupy all the road when the Traffic Code say that the have to ride ate the rightest point of the road.

Once again, get your fact's correct, and then talk about the subjects.

Best Regards
Diogo

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

Bom dia dear pilgrims, I plan on returning to Portugal this summer, after walking the Salvador + Primitivo. I have a few questions: - What is the easiest way to get from SdC to Coimbra? I assume...
My final question since I have asked sooo many. Grabbing a light lunch that I can get on the go, hoping to grab it, and find a square or a bench to enjoy it, then get back to walking. Not really...
Arriving in Valença around noon and I need to get to my hostel in Tui. I would like to conserve my energy and time, so can I take a taxi from Valença Bus station to take me to my hostel in Tui...
We are flying into Lisbon, then taking a train to Tomar for a couple nights, which looks pretty easy. What is less clear is the best way from Tomar to Porto. Have you done this? What do you...
Dear all, I have done Camino Frances, Norte and Primitivo and would like to ask about Portuges. I have some soul-searching to do and would love to walk a part of it, unfortunately only a part...
Hello everyone! My wife and I are doing our first Camino in Sept and I was very curious about the stretch from Tui to Pontevedra. We have been to Spain multiple times and love the small towns...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back