• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Where to start in Venice

Max Kacan

Time of past OR future Camino
Venice to Santiago
Hi Everyone. My son is in Venice and in urgent need of guidance. He is in Venice right now and does not not where he needs to go to get started. He also need a credential. Could anyone on this group provide some guidance? Thanks in advance.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Where does he want to go? Camino de Santiago to Spain (3000 km) or via Francigena to Rome (probably one third the distance)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I looked at those both links but I did not see any specifics. Like where is the start of the trail? What is the address of the place where you can drive or walk to to get a credential. Maybe I just don't understand the way this is set up.

I looked at those both links but I did not see any specifics. Like where is the start of the trail? What is the address of the place where you can drive or walk to to get a credential. Maybe I just don't understand the way this is set up.

Perhaps send an email to this address and ask for the particular info that you need re a Credential and start of the route.

venicetosantiago@gmail.com

Good luck to both you and your son!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi Everyone. My son is in Venice and in urgent need of guidance. He is in Venice right now and does not not where he needs to go to get started. He also need a credential. Could anyone on this group provide some guidance? Thanks in advance.

Here is a contact in Venice for the credential. I imagine this person can also help identifying the starting point: Credenziale per Venezia e dintorni Sergio Baldan Cannaregio 1965/B - tel. 041 5245375
I walked Venice-Pisa a few years ago on this route(which joins with the Francigena):
http://www.amicidisantiago.it/romea/leona.htm
Good luck,
Jean-Marc

Thank you so much everyone! I will pass this along and contact the leads you all provided. I really appreciate it!

One question - is your son as concerned as you are or is he just pedalling his way towards Santiago? Perhaps it is time for you, the father, to let your son loose in this world? Buen Camino, SY

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
That is indeed why he is traveling by himself. He is probably now realizing that doing things impromptu doesn't really work well for international travel on a budget. I am sure he will make it through, but I am not sure how far:)

That is indeed why he is traveling by himself. He is probably now realizing that doing things impromptu doesn't really work well for international travel on a budget. I am sure he will make it through, but I am not sure how far:)
Just let him explore ways to do by himself and when he'd in doubt (trouble, hopefully not!) you jump in with info.
How old is he?

Agreed. And that's exactly what he did this morning. He is 21. He is been there 2 weeks already and did fine for the most part. It's just today, he seemed totally drained and not sure of what he should do.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Here is a contact in Venice for the credential. I imagine this person can also help identifying the starting point: Credenziale per Venezia e dintorni Sergio Baldan Cannaregio 1965/B - tel. 041 5245375
I walked Venice-Pisa a few years ago on this route(which joins with the Francigena):
http://www.amicidisantiago.it/romea/leona.htm
Good luck,
Jean-Marc
There is no answer, and there is no call back from this tel number. I can't find the address on Google map either, but I think it is same as Sestiere Cannaregio 1965/B - 30121 Venezia (VE). My son said he couldn't get there with a bike. Not sure what else he can do.

From Italy to Santiago de Compostela is a long way, even on a bike. It is the route less travelled. It is also now heading into winter and conditions in the mountains likely to be difficult, with the possibility of cold rain, snow, wind and fog. I would have done quite a bit of research and preparation before beginning such an ambitious project.

How would he feel about taking public transport to Spain, and bicycling to Santiago from, for example, Pamplona? Or going the other way, and heading towards Rome?

Last edited:
There is no answer, and there is no call back from this tel number. I can't find the address on Google map either, but I think it is same as Sestiere Cannaregio 1965/B - 30121 Venezia (VE). My son said he couldn't get there with a bike. Not sure what else he can do.
I'm sorry that contact didn't work. He can try the association in Venice by email: venicetosantiago@gmail.com
If all else fails, he can check the internet address I quoted and follow the route indicated. It's very well marked and very pleasant all the way to where it joins with the Via Francigena. He can pick up a credential somewhere along the way in a church of his choice.
Buen camino
Jean-Marc

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I just googled Venice-to-Santiago-camino and found this website: http://www.caminoadventures.com/camino-route-in-italy/ and it showed a basic map of the new 300km route from Venice which then "joins the “Francigena” in Fidenza where the route is marked differently and even the road and the albergues are different. Once in France on the GR 653D, pilgrims will walk on the Arles route and than to Santiago"

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back