• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Where to start my camino!?

ndrea

Miss_Andrea
Hi guys, I'm a little confused as to where I should start my camino. I am leaving Ireland on 1st sept 14. I had originally planned to fly to Paris, train to Bayonne and bus to SJPdP. My problem is that I only have 2 weeks therefore will not be able to finish in Santiago (prob 10 days walking). I am not even sure how far I will get in 10 days. Do I stick with original plan and hopefully come back next year to complete or do I start further along the walk and finish up in Santiago?
Thanks in advance, Andrea

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
If you plan to come back next year then I would start inSt. Jean and get as far as I could in that ten days otherwise fly into Santiago and travel back along the trail and finish in Santiago. I would also fly into Biarritz from Dublin with Ryanair then bus and train to St. Jean, much easier than Paris. Either way have a great time planning and Buen Camino.

Are you sure you will get back next year, if so, may be do the first 10 stages of the 33... And take a day off as well, if you are unsure then go for the last 10 stages may be from leon. You can always do the start another time.

If you plan to come back next year then I would start inSt. Jean and get as far as I could in that ten days otherwise fly into Santiago and travel back along the trail and finish in Santiago. I would also fly into Biarritz from Dublin with Ryanair then bus and train to St. Jean, much easier than Paris. Either way have a great time planning and Buen Camino.
Thanks wayfarer. I'm from Belfast there are no flights to Biarritz :( I could travel to Dublin and get a flight from there. I was planning on meeting friends in Paris for one night, Biarritz does look easier though and would have more time on camino... Decisions decisions!? I would like to start in France so might stick to plan! Hopefully have a great experience and return next year. I'm probably best booking flight home from Leon, that is if there are flights from Leon! Thanks again :)

Are you sure you will get back next year, if so, may be do the first 10 stages of the 33... And take a day off as well, if you are unsure then go for the last 10 stages may be from leon. You can always do the start another time.
Have you completed the walk from SJPdP to Santiago Chris? Which part did you prefer? I do plan to get back, depends on my experience. This is my first time so I will give it ago. Could I do the 1st 10 stages over 10 days (how many miles/km per day approx?) where is the 10th stage? Thanks for the responding :)

I second the idea to start from Leon and go to Santiago. I've done that a couple of times, much preferred to the time when I started in SJPdP and had to leave my friends because of time constraints halfway... its just a personal thing but for me, when I had to leave after doing only the first part, I felt a little empty inside. I thought of the friends I had made and could only imagine them on the path reaching Santiago while I was back at work.

Again, many people enjoy doing it in pieces like this and it depends on you. I most enjoy the satisfaction of reaching Santiago, eating that victory dinner with my new friends, etc. The camino from Leon to Santiago was very satisfying for me.

As far as logistics are concerned, the last time I went that route, I managed to get to Santiago, Muxia, Finnesterre in about 15 days, though I tend to walk a little longer than most (maybe a little more than 30K/day on average). I am almost positive you can make it to Santiago in 14 days from Leon, and if you like longer days, you can even make it to Muxia and/or Finnesterre.

I typically fly into Madrid and take the train or a bus to Leon. Super easy.

Bus or flight from Santiago back to Madrid and then on home when I am done.

Its a blast.

Whoops. Sorry. I just re-read your post and realized I missed the 10 days of walking part. I saw 2 weeks and assumed 14 days of walking. You can get to Santiago from Leon in that time (9 or 10 days) as I have but its pretty aggressive. You'd be with people for a day, but then the next day you may walk beyond your new friends (that is my experience having done that). Going by the book, keeping sane stages, you might consider starting in Astorga. I have no clue how one would start there.

I would suggest Starting at Vega de Valcarce, that will give you time to enjoy your Camino and maybe even have a day or two to explore Santiago. Even at that you will average 24/25 km per day (15.5 Mls) Start at O Cebreiro and average 23Km/14ml a day. This is plenty if its your first Camino and you are reasonably fit. You want to enjoy the experience too. You should be able to get a bus to O Cebreiro from Santiago.

Hi @ndrea I will be doing the same as you a few days later (I just have the 2 weeks to spare).
Having walked from Logrono to Santiago over three years, I am walking from St Jean for 10-11 days and hopefully will reach Belorado or beyond.
From there, there is transport to Bilbao and a flight back to Ireland. Happy days!

However, if you wish to obtain a compostela this year, you could start as wayfarer has suggested. Valcarce is perfect. You will have a tough first day but not as tough a first day if you plan on starting in St Jean.

What ever you choose, Buen Camino!

David

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thank you David, wayfarer, Damien & Chris for your comments. You have all been very helpful. I'll have to make my decision over the next few days and get flights booked.
David if I decide SJPdP hopefully we meet at some stage.
Bit of a random question but I recently purchased boots, planning to start walking them in this weekend. However from others posts they have suggested shoes instead of boots!? Should I exchange before weekend?
Thanks again, Andrea :)

Mid height boots are fine otherwise walking shoes. The important thing is that they are comfortable and well broken in. Wear the socks you intend to use when you try them on, leave some room for your feet to expand, and they will as you walk, don't buy tight or snug shoes/boots. A half size bigger should do, as long as you can fit your fingers between your heel and the back of the boot with your big toe touching the front of the boot, if that makes sense.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi guys, I'm a little confused as to where I should start my camino. I am leaving Ireland on 1st sept 14. I had originally planned to fly to Paris, train to Bayonne and bus to SJPdP. My problem is that I only have 2 weeks therefore will not be able to finish in Santiago (prob 10 days walking). I am not even sure how far I will get in 10 days. Do I stick with original plan and hopefully come back next year to complete or do I start further along the walk and finish up in Santiago?
Why not walk the Camiño Inglès. Fly to Santiago, travel by bus to. A Coruña, walk to Hospital de Bruma,take the bus to Ferrol and walk from there to Santiago 9 or 10 beautiful camiño days through beautiful Galicia.
Or fly to Porto ,travel to Valença do Minho or Tui and walk a part of the beautiful caminho Portuges to Santiago

Both underestimated routes but great to do ! I walked them both. Quiet , no bedrace and crowds .just relaxed

Buen camino

I reckon you should start from SJPP then you are starting on an equal basis with most pilgrims . The pyrenees is hard but a terrific experience, I feel not to be missed. Ten days from SJPP you should end up in and around, depending on your pace, Sto. Domingo de la Calzada or Belorado.

I travelled out from Dublin to Biarritz Ryanair then a simple bus ride to Bayonne Gare to catch the substitute bus.

Buen Camino

Are you in a hurry to reach Santiago in the next year or two? If not (and I sound like a broken record, as I always say this) have you considered starting further back, in Le Puy? It's a few hours on the train from Paris, you could walk as far as you like in 10 days and return in the autumn or spring to continue to St Jean Pied de Port, then next year a week or so into Spain and so on. As you live in Belfast it would be easy to fit in the odd few days on the Camino as and when time/money allows. Lots of European pilgrims do it this way, and it's how I started out myself. The Le Puy route is a sheer pleasure, and a great introduction to Camino life

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I reckon you should start from SJPP then you are starting on an equal basis with most pilgrims . The pyrenees is hard but a terrific experience, I feel not to be missed. Ten days from SJPP you should end up in and around, depending on your pace, Sto. Domingo de la Calzada or Belorado.

I travelled out from Dublin to Biarritz Ryanair then a simple bus ride to Bayonne Gare to catch the substitute bus.

Buen Camino
First time poster here!
I agree with Mick, and plan on doing just this!
I'm flying to Biarritz tomorrow from Dublin and starting in SJPP on Friday morning. I only have two weeks off so maybe 10 or 11 days' walking and want to finish and then travel to somewhere where I can take bus/ train to Santiago (where I hope to put my feet up for a couple of days and then fly home) from someplace between Logrono and Burgos. Possibly Najera or Santo Domingo. It's a bit ambitious for me to reach Burgos in this time. I'll return next year to finish the walk. I have already done Sarria-Santiago as a taster four years ago, but I am really looking forward to the Pyrenees.
Buen Camino.

Hi @ndrea if you plan on starting on the 3rd / 4th or 5th, you'll most certainly bump into me.
For some reason, Irish people always tend to stick together ha!
I met up with a crowd from UCD last May in Burgos, great bunch of guys too. We all walked to Leon and headed home on the same flight!

Hi,
Whatever you decide to do, you will have a great time!. I've walked from Roncesvalles for 3 weeks and I found it hard to leave my camino family, without finishing in Santiago.
I've also walked from Astorga and it was very doable in 9/10 days. You get to walk to Ferro Cruz, O Ceriebro etc. To Santiago. The same train that brings you to Ponferrada also stops in AStorga.

If you come back another year to do another part, I don't think you would feel you have it all done, but if you end up not returning, then you have completed a very nice part of the camino(I know ALL parts are worthwhile!)

I got an overnight train from BARCELONA(holidayed for a week first with friends who did not want to do the camino!), which stopped in AStorga about half six in the morning and then I just started walking- hassle free way of doing it.

If you end up flying from Dublin you can get a stamp from Guinness storehouse and from St. JAMES church which is very close by and open Monday to Friday.

Also absolutely no need for boots.Hope this helps and apologies for the typos!

Last edited:

Andrea:

It appears to me that you wanted to visit friends in Paris as part of your Holiday. If that is true, visit your friends, train to Bayonne and then bus to SJPdP. Walk as far as you can in 10 days and finish at a later date. You will miss completing a Camino but it is not going anywhere.

Ten days of walking should get you somewhere between Najera and Granon. Boots are a personal choice. You should wear what is most comfortable for you?

Ultreya,
Joe

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Are you in a hurry to reach Santiago in the next year or two? If not (and I sound like a broken record, as I always say this) have you considered starting further back, in Le Puy? It's a few hours on the train from Paris, you could walk as far as you like in 10 days and return in the autumn or spring to continue to St Jean Pied de Port, then next year a week or so into Spain and so on. As you live in Belfast it would be easy to fit in the odd few days on the Camino as and when time/money allows. Lots of European pilgrims do it this way, and it's how I started out myself. The Le Puy route is a sheer pleasure, and a great introduction to Camino life
I'm in no hurry metropolly, sounds beautiful :) I will look into this.
Thanks

Andrea:

It appears to me that you wanted to visit friends in Paris as part of your Holiday. If that is true, visit your friends, train to Bayonne and then bus to SJPdP. Walk as far as you can in 10 days and finish at a later date. You will miss completing a Camino but it is not going anywhere.

Ten days of walking should get you somewhere between Najera and Granon. Boots are a personal choice. You should wear what is most comfortable for you?

Ultreya,
Joe
Joe thanks very much for leaving his comment. I have been thinking about the different routes all day. I think my mind I now made up. Stick to original plan :) make sure I return to complete!
Thanks again,
A :)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
First time poster here!
I agree with Mick, and plan on doing just this!
I'm flying to Biarritz tomorrow from Dublin and starting in SJPP on Friday morning. I only have two weeks off so maybe 10 or 11 days' walking and want to finish and then travel to somewhere where I can take bus/ train to Santiago (where I hope to put my feet up for a couple of days and then fly home) from someplace between Logrono and Burgos. Possibly Najera or Santo Domingo. It's a bit ambitious for me to reach Burgos in this time. I'll return next year to finish the walk. I have already done Sarria-Santiago as a taster four years ago, but I am really looking forward to the Pyrenees.
Buen Camino.
Agree!! It's not a race. I can start at the start, enjoy and return to reach Santiago. Enjoy Clare, let me know how you get on :)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi,
Whatever you decide to do, you will have a great time!. I've walked from Roncesvalles for 3 weeks and I found it hard to leave my camino family, without finishing in Santiago.
I've also walked from Astorga and it was very doable in 9/10 days. You get to walk to Ferro Cruz, O Ceriebro etc. To Santiago. The same train that brings you to Ponferrada also stops in AStorga.

If you come back another year to do another part, I don't think you would feel you have it all done, but if you end up not returning, then you have completed a very nice part of the camino(I know ALL parts are worthwhile!)

I got an overnight train from BARCELONA(holidayed for a week first with friends who did not want to do the camino!), which stopped in AStorga about half six in the morning and then I just started walking- hassle free way of doing it.

If you end up flying from Dublin you can get a stamp from Guinness storehouse and from St. JAMES church which is very close by and open Monday to Friday.

Also absolutely no need for boots.Hope this helps and apologies for the typos!
Thanks determined lass, getting excited :)

Hi @ndrea if you plan on starting on the 3rd / 4th or 5th, you'll most certainly bump into me.
For some reason, Irish people always tend to stick together ha!
I met up with a crowd from UCD last May in Burgos, great bunch of guys too. We all walked to Leon and headed home on the same flight!
Look out for me clearskies I'll be the one walking slower than a snail and probably lost!
Thanks again for your advice :)

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Ponferrada to Santiago is perfect for ten days. You can get to Ponferrada on a bus or train very easily from most major cities in Spain.
hi my dad sis and I did this portion 2 yrs ago it was the best trip ever,it was great to finish the walk with our new friends,dad and I went from sjdp to estella last yr and we were so so sad to leave people behind when we had to return to real life,,

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.