• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Where to start on Camino Frances for a shorter pilgrimage?

kes93

Time of past OR future Camino
Hi there!

I'm embarking on my first Camino in August if the situation doesn't go south with the covid-situation. It's going to be a 14-day'ish trip since that's about the time I got. I've been planning on starting in St. Jean Pied Pe Port and perhaps ending in Burgos, thereby doing the first 1/3 part of the complete route.

Meeting and connecting with other people is an important aspect to me as well as the thought of walking in the Pyrenees. Other than that I really have no strong idea or expectations of how my trip will turn out. At the current time, I have no plans on returning in the future to continue the pilgrimage to Santiago, but I'm not denying that would happen at some point.

Does any of you have other suggestions or maybe some viewpoints about my current decision of this 14-day route? Am I gonna have a hard time finding a place to spend the night and do you find the heat is overbearing on Frances in August?

Much appreciation, thanks!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi @kes93, I agree with Flog, once a pilgrim always a pilgrim. The walk from SJPdP to Burgos is as good as it gets. Besides Galacia which I have no doubt you will return to walk it too. Camino will call you back, there is no denying it. ☺️ The heat is not unbearable in August but still very hot. I started early 5:30AM ish then ended early noon or 1:00 PM. It’s also very important to hydrate. My last Camino I carried a bladder in my backpack, I’m sure glad I did.
Buen Camino!

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
For 14 days I would consider walking the full Camino Primitivo from Oviedo to Santiago. You will still meet plenty of people, it wont get very crowded and many consider it to be on of the most beautiful routes.

Buen Camino
Davey

Hi Friend,
You could walk the whole Camino Portugues from Porto in 14 days and will avoid the horrible Sarria-Santiago route which, the last time I walked it, was covered in graffiti, litter, faeces and wipes, with the way-markers mostly destroyed! The Camino Primitivo from Oviedo is lovely, very hard work, over the mountains, but worth it. Although you will still have to bear the Sarria route at the end, unless you can find another route from the north (not impossible).
Buen Camino!

PS: I totally agree with FourSeasons, StJPdP to Burgos is a great way to understand yourself and the Camino pilgrimage. Yes, yes, a bladder pack for water is essential; do NOT trust the water fountains in villages (Husband suffered!), make sure you drink a little every half hour as you walk.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi there!

I'm embarking on my first Camino in August if the situation doesn't go south with the covid-situation. It's going to be a 14-day'ish trip since that's about the time I got. I've been planning on starting in St. Jean Pied Pe Port and perhaps ending in Burgos, thereby doing the first 1/3 part of the complete route.

Meeting and connecting with other people is an important aspect to me as well as the thought of walking in the Pyrenees. Other than that I really have no strong idea or expectations of how my trip will turn out. At the current time, I have no plans on returning in the future to continue the pilgrimage to Santiago, but I'm not denying that would happen at some point.

Does any of you have other suggestions or maybe some viewpoints about my current decision of this 14-day route? Am I gonna have a hard time finding a place to spend the night and do you find the heat is overbearing on Frances in August?

My first experience of the Camino was a 10 day walk from Pamplona to Burgos in late September. It is still my favourite tranche of all the other Caminos that I have done since and the weather was very comfortable (I do live in Andalucia so that has to be factored in). One blot on your landscape is going to the fact that I understand that the Paroquial Albergue San Miguel in Estella is still shut do to Covid. Wonderful place. I hope that it reopens. Buen Camino.

Hi there!

I think that this sounds like a reasonable course of action. You might want to consider stopping the first night in Orisson or the new albergue about one kilometre past it. I've heard people suggesting reserving these days, even if it is only a day or so in advance. That might help any worries about finding a place.

Only you know your heat tolerance. It can get quite hot on the Frances in August (although the part before Burgos doesn't have quite the same reputation for overbearing heat that the part after Burgos does). My son and I walked the Frances five years ago in July and August. He finds the heat really difficult and we ended up trying to leave by 5:30 am to get as much of our walked done in the morning before the day reached its hottest. But walking the Frances is August is quite doable. Trying the VDLP at the height of summer would be a lot more challenging.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Many good suggestions here, it’s a hard call. For me I would start in Leon and walk into Santiago, especially if you aren’t sure you will return. Leon is beautiful and easy to get to if you fly into Madrid. There is an option at Ponferrada to do the Invierno into Santiago, less crowded than the Sarria route. I think it takes an extra day. Have fun deciding and buen Camino!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back