• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Where to start the CP in order to arrive in Santiago on 27th May?

Time of past OR future Camino
2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017,2018, (2019)
I am due to complete a 2-week stint as a hospitalero at Castrojeriz on the Camino Frances on 16th May and I plan then to walk on to Santiago in time to say godbye to a friend on the 27th of the month. It is not possible for me to walk the entire remaining distance of the CF in the 12 days available to me, so the most obvious option open to me is simply to skip one or more stages to fit my schedule.

However, as I have walked the CF before I am thinking would it be possible to walk some of the camino portugues over the same period. Therefore, my question to you is where would be a good place to start that would give me, say, 10 days solid walking along the route and still meet my 27th May deadline?

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I am due to complete a 2-week stint as a hospitalero at Castrojeriz on the Camino Frances on 16th May and I plan then to walk on to Santiago in time to say godbye to a friend on the 27th of the month. It is not possible for me to walk the entire remaining distance of the CF in the 12 days available to me, so the most obvious option open to me is simply to skip one or more stages to fit my schedule.

However, as I have walked the CF before I am thinking would it be possible to walk some of the camino portugues over the same period. Therefore, my question to you is where would be a good place to start that would give me, say, 10 days solid walking along the route and still meet my 27th May deadline?

(continued)
I pressed the send button before finishing my post - sorry!

Two bits of additional information that may help you with your replies to my request, are:
- I'd need to arrive in a town or city large enough to be served by public transport from Burgos/León.
- my ideal daily walking distance is 15-18 miles/24-30kms.

Thank-you,
James

Start in Porto and walk either the central route via Barcelos,Ponte de Lima en Valença/ Tui to Santiago.
Or the coastal via Viana do Castelo, Caminha and Vigo .
Both about 250 kms.
Bom caminho

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
(continued)
I pressed the send button before finishing my post - sorry!

Two bits of additional information that may help you with your replies to my request, are:
- I'd need to arrive in a town or city large enough to be served by public transport from Burgos/León.
- my ideal daily walking distance is 15-18 miles/24-30kms.

Thank-you,
James
The interior route from Porto to Santiago is 150 miles so that distance would seem to work well given your ideal walking pace. On your first day you could take the metro from Porto to Vilar do Pinheiro which would eliminate about 9 miles just to give you a little margin should you need it later in your walk.
Good hiking.

The interior route from Porto to Santiago is 150 miles so that distance would seem to work well given your ideal walking pace. On your first day you could take the metro from Porto to Vilar do Pinheiro which would eliminate about 9 miles just to give you a little margin should you need it later in your walk.
Good hiking.
take the metro to stop Mercado in Matosinhos and walk to Vila do Conde and on to Rates on the central caminho.
Safer and better .

James, I concur with Albertinho's and Miles2go's suggestion. That's what I will be doing - 10 days to get to Santiago from PORTO through Vila do Conde, Ponte de Lima, Valenca then Tui all the way to SdC as I only have 2 weeks off work.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
@Albertinho, @Miles2go and @Angelo - Obrigado for your very helpful suggestions. I'll check them out before I depart the UK on Tuesday.

A supplementary question (if I may):
Are you able to comment on the most direct public transport options to get me to Porto from Burgos/Leon? For example, do you think it would be easier for me to travel there direct from Burgos/Leon, or should I consider making my way to SdC and then drop down into Portugal from there?

take the metro to stop Mercado in Matosinhos and walk to Vila do Conde and on to Rates on the central caminho.
Safer and better .
Albertinho,
I appreciate that the coastal route to Vila do Conde is likely much more scenic than the interior route between Porto and Vilarinho. Is this why you said the coastal route is "better"? Did you mean it is "safer" because one does not walk along a busy highway (N-13) or for other personal security reasons not apparent to someone unfamiliar with the route to Vilarinho?
Thank you for your feedback.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Albertinho,
I appreciate that the coastal route to Vila do Conde is likely much more scenic than the interior route between Porto and Vilarinho. Is this why you said the coastal route is "better"? Did you mean it is "safer" because one does not walk along a busy highway (N-13) or for other personal security reasons not apparent to someone unfamiliar with the route to Vilarinho?

In my view there are 3 advantages of taking the detour along the coastal route:
- less time on/near busy roads
- more scenic, ocean on your left for most of the way
- easier on the feet since there are many kms of boardwalks.

Not that the central route will take along highways, but you cross some roads with plenty of traffic and there are many minor roads without sidewalks which can still be busy. It is not the danger so much, mostly I would say it is unpleasant to walk on a hard surface in a heavily built environment for many kms.

In my view there are 3 advantages of taking the detour along the coastal route:
- less time on/near busy roads
- more scenic, ocean on your left for most of the way
- easier on the feet since there are many kms of boardwalks.

Not that the central route will take along highways, but you cross some roads with plenty of traffic and there are many minor roads without sidewalks which can still be busy. It is not the danger so much, mostly I would say it is unpleasant to walk on a hard surface in a heavily built environment for many kms.
Edumad,
Thanks for your perspective. I will seriously consider the inland route as far as Vila do Conde for my Camino in July.
Good hiking.

Albertinho,
The coastal is safer. Partly you walk on hardshoulders of busy roads leaving to Vilarinho. Not very actractive and dangerous. The coastal is very relaxed walking.
Or do as we will do today. Go directly from the airport by taxi to Vairāo or Vilarinho and start walking from there. Ten you'll avoid the wordt part of day 1 from Porto.
Pbom caminho

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

Bom dia dear pilgrims, I plan on returning to Portugal this summer, after walking the Salvador + Primitivo. I have a few questions: - What is the easiest way to get from SdC to Coimbra? I assume...
My final question since I have asked sooo many. Grabbing a light lunch that I can get on the go, hoping to grab it, and find a square or a bench to enjoy it, then get back to walking. Not really...
Hello everyone! My wife and I are doing our first Camino in Sept and I was very curious about the stretch from Tui to Pontevedra. We have been to Spain multiple times and love the small towns...
Dear all, I have done Camino Frances, Norte and Primitivo and would like to ask about Portuges. I have some soul-searching to do and would love to walk a part of it, unfortunately only a part...
We arrived in Lisbon yesterday, 48 hrs (by choice via Singapore, Milan and Madrid) after leaving home from regional South Australia. Train to Porto tomorrow hitting the pilgram path on Saturday to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back