• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Where to start two week Camino in October

dorn townsend

Time of past OR future Camino
future
Dear Beautiful Camino Explorers,

I intend to trek part of the camino for two weeks in late September/early October. Given that I only have two weeks, what would people recommend as the best place to start? 1) Roncesvalles, even though I won't reach Santiago, 2) Leon, where I could reasonably reach Roncesvalles, 3) Somewhere in between?

Also, is the Camino in the fall a good time? Too cold? Too rainy in Galicia?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I walked last year in September and October. A few chilly mornings but not too cold otherwise. Depends on what you consider comfortable though. Rainfall is very unpredictable in Galicia. Over 4 weeks on the Camino Frances I only had two days with significant rain but that was more by luck than design. I would always assume the worst and take rain gear that works for you. Leon sounds like a good starting point in the time you have available.

I have a similar dilemma.
I really want to start from SJPdP ... but this requires giving up hope of reaching SdC
I also really want to reach SdC ... but this requires starting from e.g. Leon
If I can't have what I want, I'm thinking of keeping CF to another trip and exploring other routes such as Portugues.
Decisions, decisions.
Be interested to hear how you resolve this.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I had this dilemma a couple of years ago - and started in SJPdP September 2015, walking for 5 days.

After returning to Spain on 4 further occasions, I finally walked into Santiago de Compostela at the end of April this year.

I am happy I chose to walk it like this, in fairly short stages, because I had the natural progression of the route. Of course I would love to be able to walk the 800km to experience the sense of continuity and balance - it's hard to have to drag yourself away after a few days, leaving this way of life, your friends, the simple routine - but that's not possible at this time.

The thing is, you can always return to complete your Camino. Unless you are sure you will never return, start at the 'beginning' and walk as far as you can in the time you have.

My vote is for Leon. My favourite part of the CF is from Leon to Santiago but we're all different and that is good because it is what keeps our world turning.
A very buen camino whatever you decide.

2 weeks leon to santiago tight. Lots 30km days. Start Astorga or Ponferrada buen camino

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back