• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Where to start

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Will this be a once in a life trip to Spain to walk part of the Camino and you only have two weeks? Or, if you go and enjoy it will you come back at a later date? If you think that you will come back, I would start in St. Jean and walk to Burgos. A tough two weeks, but doable. Then you can return in the future and do another stretch, say Burgos to Leon.

On the other hand, if you know for sure that this will be your only trip to Spain and you only have two weeks, then you might consider starting in Leon and finish in Santiago to collect your Compostela (or certificate of completion).

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
It takes two weeks to walk from Leon to Santiago. You would start with fairly gentle terrain so that you can build your fitness. In the summer it will start hot, though, so rise early and quit before the severe afternoon sun.

Camino Frances: Leon to Santiago 311km
Via de la Plata: Salamanca to Santiago 319km
Camino Norte: Gijon to Santiago 250km
Camino Portugues: Porto to Santiago 232 km

Choices, choices!!

Previous answers cover the the practical side. I would add that your choice depends on what are you expecting from this walk. If you want to start and finish, and the certificate on your wall, so León-Compostela it is. Ditto if you are looking for a good time, meeting lots of people, having fun (nothing against it...) On the other side, if you love forests, old monuments, picturesque villages, prefer Roncesvalles-Burgos. For more sober, soul-searching pilgrimage, include the Meseta between Burgos-Leon, or opt for alternative ways, other than the Frances.
The other point you should consider is dates, not only for the weather, but also bcs the "general feeling" changes. Summer is more relaxed, social, and there are more students on vacations. Spring and Autumn are quieter and more lonely; the average pilgrim is older, I think, with more "just retired" people. Winter...well, beautiful, but it is really tough.

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Leon it is. Thank you all! I am planning on going in June. About how much money should I plan on spending during those 2 weeks? I know that the hostels are cheap.

Leon it is. Thank you all! I am planning on going in June. About how much money should I plan on spending during those 2 weeks? I know that the hostels are cheap.

Alexis m,

See this recent Forum thread for some cost estimates.

In those albergues which offer kitchens many pilgrims for either dietary reasons and/or to cut costs prepare their own meals. Generally for lunch or dinner many places along the way offer a standard three course Peregrino Menu (Pilgrim Menu) for roughly 10€. Although edible these often are only basic courses. A tastier alternative is the Menu del Dia (Daily Menu) which costs a bit more but provides much better quality and choice. See this thread for pilgrims' recommendations on where to eat.

Happy budgeting and Buen Camino,

Margaret Meredith

Hi, your replies to alexis m seemed very helpful. I have a similar question. I've decided to join our daughter (who is currently studying in Berlin) in walking the Camino at the end of April. We will only have 5 days, but really would like to do this. It is something I've dreamed about since I've read the book, Hiking the Camino, by Fr. Pivonka.
I'm trying to decide whether to start in Sarria or Ourense. The first day, we were only planning to walk for 3-4 hours. Does anyone know if we can find lodging that close to Ourense?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I'm trying to decide whether to start in Sarria or Ourense. The first day, we were only planning to walk for 3-4 hours. Does anyone know if we can find lodging that close to Ourense?
jannh.

Check the Mundicamino Camino Sanabres route for Etapa 10 and onward. Once the site loads click the terms on the blue list to the left for further info. Albergues cites pilgrim accommodation and Hospedajes cites tourist accommodation for each section of the route.

Happy planning and Buen Camino,

Margaret Meredith

I am in a similar position. I will walk the Camino Ingles, starting from Covas, then onto Muxia and Finisterre before going back to Santiago for a couple of days. I expect it to be quiet. If you wanted more company, part of the Camino Frances would be a better option.

There is no real break point between Ourense and San Cristovo de Cea. An interesting character offers coffee, tea, and snacks out of his house at the top of the hill on the old alternative route. It is a steep climb out of Ourense. After Cea you have the option to visit the monastery at Oseira. According to their webpage, the minimum stay is three days, but occasionally an albergue is opened by a third party for nightly visits. Your hospitalero at Cea may be able to provide further information, or call ahead for you.

http://www.informaticaywebs.es/mosteiro/hospederia/hospederia.html

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Thanks, all very helpful. Sounds like starting in Ourense won't work due to long walk first day, and my daughter will be flying in on Day 1. I know people usually plan much further in advance, but we have this short opportunity between when my daughter gets out of school and when the rest of the family is flying over to Europe. We had wanted to get a Compostela, but we only have April 27 (which is the day my daughter flies in) to May 1. On May 2, we are flying to Prague. With transportation time getting from and to an airport, seems like we will only have 4 days! We had originally hoped we could walk a few hours that first day, but seems not because of transportation.
I would appreciate any suggestions of where to walk, hopefully with somewhat easy transportation access, so we can at least get a taste of the Camino. We'd easily give up the Compostela rather than give up walking on the Camino! Perhaps we could start closer to Santiago than Sarria or Ourense, or maybe another route, or even if there is a midsection that would be good to walk, and is still somewhat close to train, bus route to an airport?

Thinking to fly into Madrid, we have only 4 actual days on the Camino, Apr 28 - May 1. Question: deciding where to start: Leon, Orbigo, Astorga? Would appreciate any suggestions!
Thank you,
Jannh

Most read last week in this forum

Hi I have a question regarding regulations in French airports on what is allowed to bring as carry on luggage. I have a small lightweight Victorinox SD multitool including a small knife that is...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
I read that municipal auberges will not accept luggage transferred by courier. Is this correct, if so is there a way around this? I prefer to stay at municipal auberges and carry my backpack since...
Hi everyone! I would greatly appreciate your suggestions for the best summer beaches in Galicia that are easily accessible by car or bus from Santiago de Compostela. Thanks!
Hi - I've been waiting to book 2 June from Santiago dC to Madrid - finally the tickets are out! Funnily enough the luxury seats were cheaper than economy seats, so I took one.
I’m planning to send to Santiago a smaller bag with things I need for the flight, extra days pre/post Camino, and whatever else I decide that I won’t need. I could send it from Roncesvalles...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back