• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Where to start

Hellmuth66

Time of past OR future Camino
May 2015
My wife and I we are planning to walk the Camino for the first time. We are both 70 years old. We only have 4 weeks and want to avoid the too mountainous sections . Where should we start. We both have knees and feet problems but in spite of this we would still like to do this. We would like to hear your suggestions about this. Thank you. Hellmuth

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
That's wonderful that you are planning this. Is it important to you that you get your Compostela? If so, you will need to walk the last 100 k, e.g. from Sarria. Are you thinking of choosing the stretches with the least changes in elevation and taking transportation to avoid the higher points, and are you thinking of the Camino Francés. Provide a bit more information and we would be able to help further. :)

Last edited:
Hola

I think Pamplona or Burgos can be good starting points for you, as they both are easy to access within Spain.
Depending on your walking speed you will be able to arrive at Santiago from Pamplona within 4 weeks, and do bear in mind that you can skip some parts with a taxi, when needed (some mountainous parts).
If you start from Burgos you may have time over and can then walk to Finisterra or Muxia after Santiago.
Once you decided your starting point, it becomes much easier as you then just have to focus how to get to the starting point and take it one day at the time.

I hope this helps.
Buen Camino
Lettinggo

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Start from Porto in Portugal. Great walk ! 2 weeks. Enjoy famous places along the route..Porto, Barcelos, Braga, Ponte de Lima ,Valença do Minha Pontevedra, Padrón.
You can follow yhe central route, encounter one 400 meter high mountain(eventually skipped by taxi or bus) or along the coast.
Great walk, very kind Portugese people, great food and wines. Beautiful landscapes, no bed race.
Next week I will be there for the next caminho Portugese.see forum Portugese camino here.

My wife and I we are planning to walk the Camino for the first time. We are both 70 years old. We only have 4 weeks and want to avoid the too mountainous sections . Where should we start. We both have knees and feet problems but in spite of this we would still like to do this. We would like to hear your suggestions about this. Thank you. Hellmuth

the most important thing is not where to start but your feet and knee problems. no point in starting the walk and after 2 or 3 days get off it with painful feet and great disappoinment. can you discribe your porblems in detail?have you consulted a sport physician?have you trained or plan to before the walk?if you able to start it a d walk without problems you need not worry about climbs. the o ly climb you will ha e is after ponferada and the o cebreiro. by the time you arrive there you will be in a good shape. you can always walk up these climbs very slowly. no need to worry.
first let us understand the nature if your knees and feet problems.

Welcome Helmuth. Assuming that you are intending to walk the Camino Frances, I suggest starting in Burgos. You should definitely get to Santiago at a leisurely pace and you may also have time to walk to Finisterre or Muxia if you wish.

Beginning in Pamplona is also an option, but (a) you might not want an uphill climb and steep descent on your first day and (b) depending on your pace, it may not be possible to reach Santiago in 4 weeks.

Buen Camino to you both.

Nuala

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Since you have four weeks go ahead and start in Pamplona. It's a cool city and easy to get to from Madrid.
Get a guidebook that has maps and elevation charts. Study them and decide which parts of the Camino Frances would be best for you to skip over. Do some research on bus and taxi services to get you around those points.
Plan your trip accordingly and take time to smell the roses. Oh, and pack as light as possible.
Cheers.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.